Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Idk why that posted 100 times.

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Idk why you posted it at all, to be honest.

#28 Carialle

Carialle
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yep, the Moment you should have your period and you are pregnant, you are in the 5th Week.

#29 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ignoring the stupidity, I have a genuine question.

How exactly is the length of pregnancy calculated? If a woman is 21 weeks, but wasn't to have an abortion, can she just like and tell the doctor about when she was pregnant? (I'm assuming this would only work if she hadn't been to the doctor before then) or do they have a legitimate method for determine the age of the child?

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Ignoring the stupidity, I have a genuine question.

How exactly is the length of pregnancy calculated? If a woman is 21 weeks, but wasn't to have an abortion, can she just like and tell the doctor about when she was pregnant? (I'm assuming this would only work if she hadn't been to the doctor before then) or do they have a legitimate method for determine the age of the child?

They start with the gestational age from the date of the last period and add weeks from there. They also do a fundal measurement to see how big the uterus is. (From pubic bone to top of uterus.) The 'most accurate' way to tell is by ultrasound.

#31 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

I dunno where you get your abortions, but that's the way it's always been done over here. They ask when date of your last period was and then determine what kind of ultrasound to give you from there to figure out what procedure to give you.

In California we do not use gestational age, we use the date of conception. According to PP only 7 other states use gestational age to factor in when you can get an abortion and what classifies as late term.

Edited by Mishelle, 28 August 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#32 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

In California we do not use gestational age, we use the date of conception. According to PP only 7 other states use gestational age to factor in when you can get an abortion and what classifies as late term.

....But how do you know when the baby was conceived? Is this conception date measured from the sexy time or from implantation?

(And what is PP? Planned Parenthood?)

Edited by Napiform, 28 August 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#33 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

The hype around this is stupid. Any woman that has ever been pregnant knows that they calculate your gestational age based upon the first day of the cycle that you were in when the egg was fertilized - typically two weeks before ovulation. This is not new. Just because some Republican made it a law now it's sensational, when this is how they've done it in the medical field for ages.

Also, this does NOT change when a woman would be able to legally get an abortion. The calculation stays the same because this changes nothing.

Yep ^
I was explained all this when I became pregnant with my first child.
People didn't understand it, but I did, and I used to get incredibly frustrated when people would speculate about how far along I was.

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

That's funny, because they don't seem to mention that on their website.

#35 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Sooo, I'm currently at 12 weeks since my last period, if I discover I am pregnant now how will they be able to prove what date was my date of conception without A) an ultrasound and B) I don't keep a recorded diary of how often I have sex.
Pinpointing conception time would be a little difficult, don't you think?

In Arizona you have to get an ultrasound before you can get an abortion.

She explains it better than I do why this law, and laws like it are ridiculous

#36 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

I hate to say this, considering I was both a medic and a biomedical engineer in my youth, but I didn't understand the whole counting to 40 weeks, with conception occurring at the second weak until we had to get that book "What to expect when you're expecting"

As far your elimination of me from being a potential donor, I all ready have two legal children and three that carry my genes, I really don't need any more,

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

The only article I can find about California's determining dates for gestational age is saying it varies depending on the abortion provider. Can you link us up please?

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

In Arizona you have to get an ultrasound before you can get an abortion.

She explains it better than I do why this law, and laws like it are ridiculous

Well, at least she understood that that the issue is attempting legislate any medical treatment.
Not that the "gestational age" clauses are inaccurate.

#39 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

The only article I can find about California's determining dates for gestational age is saying it varies depending on the abortion provider. Can you link us up please?

I guess it does? I haven't read an article on it I'm just basing this off of what I heard at a GEC meeting today and the girls said that they only counted the weeks post-fertilization toward when you could get a late abortion. Maybe I'm wording this wrong?

#40 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

GEC being what?

#41 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Gender Equity Center.

#42 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I guess it does? I haven't read an article on it I'm just basing this off of what I heard at a GEC meeting today and the girls said that they only counted the weeks post-fertilization toward when you could get a late abortion. Maybe I'm wording this wrong?

Maybe. Abortions and pregnancy are things I'm genuinely interested in, so I was just curious.The link I found wasn't even that good, but I didn't want to wade through legal crap to find out. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how basing it on conception would be anymore accurate than anything else.

Also, while it's only legally required to have ultrasounds before abortions in a handful of states, most doctors will do it anyway to help determine what type of abortion to have.

#43 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Maybe. Abortions and pregnancy are things I'm genuinely interested in, so I was just curious.The link I found wasn't even that good, but I didn't want to wade through legal crap to find out. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how basing it on conception would be anymore accurate than anything else.

Also, while it's only legally required to have ultrasounds before abortions in a handful of states, most doctors will do it anyway to help determine what type of abortion to have.

Yeah the women I talked to all had ultrasounds, and they could choose not to look at the screen, and they could choose whether or not to hear any information since it was just for the dr's reference. In a lot of states women don't get that luxury and it freaks me out.

#44 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

Do you know what I find the most ironic thing about pregnancy? If you smoke, do drugs or drink, it will do most damage during the pregnancy during the first trimester. The vast majority of people won't realise their pregnant til the end of or just after.

#45 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

The last nonchild before Lena was the worse, she'd made it to 14 weeks, and we thought, finally, finally this would be the one, this would would not just pass away. My daughter does not know, nor will she ever know that a frog puppet, I finally was sure enough to buy a token to welcome this soul into the world, I bought the first toy, and 48 hours later the spotting began. We hoped, sometimes this does not mean, so we had an ultrasound, and we waited, and some callous ass little snot came out and said something like "Oh, so you must know the pregnancy terminated", and we cried, and we cried, and we cried. If I am destined for hell, it will be hearing that callous ass doctor say those words. So after my beloved 40th birthday, we plotted the chart one more time, and we tried one more of the five day make sure you have your best chance. Thus, Lena was born. She played with that frog puppet, although it will always make me sad.

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Do you know what I find the most ironic thing about pregnancy? If you smoke, do drugs or drink, it will do most damage during the pregnancy during the first trimester. The vast majority of people won't realise their pregnant til the end of or just after.

That's why it's generally better to plan ahead, I would imagine.

#47 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Most people think Lena is an accident. People ^ can be so dang rude.

#48 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

That was answered earlier.
They can also look at the baby and measure its length to determine how many weeks gestation a woman is.

Don't all babies end up being different sizes though?

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Don't all babies end up being different sizes though?

Variation increases with time. In the early stages of the pregnancy, the variation between foetuses would be minimal.

#50 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

the variation between foetuses would be minimal.

foetuses?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users