Photo

EA making sure all games have online component

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

“We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers,” EA Labels President Frank Gibeau said recently. “I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.”

http://www.forbes.co...aces-the-cloud/

Gibeau chuckled at his own example and continued to explain what the shape of EA's game-making approach will be moving forward. "What I'm saying is if you're going do it, do it with an open-world game that's a connected experience where you can actually see other players, you can co-operate, you can compete and it can be social. Everything that we do, we see the telemetry coming in telling us that's the best way to build our business and that's the best way to build these experiences and be differentiated from others. Yeah, I'm not suggesting deathmatch must be in Bejeweled. It's just… You need to have a connected social experience where you're part of a large community"
When I mentioned that a certain sort of player still wants an experience that can't be interrupted through social interaction, he stated that The Sims plays that way. "The new Sim City, you can play single-player," he continued. "Mass Effect 3, you can play single-player. FIFA, Madden…"
"I still passionately believe in single-player games and think we should build them. What I was trying to suggest with my comments was that as we move our company from being a packaged goods, fire-and-forget business to a digital business that has a service component to it. That's business-speak for ‘I want to have a business that's alive and evolves and changes over time'"

http://kotaku.com/59...le player-games

Gibeau tries to explain that what he said in the first quote doesn't mean he is trying to remove the single player experience altogether from games released by EA going forward. And that instead what he really meant is that all games would be more socially connected and have better services for the players by being connected online all the time.

However even though he says that, it is pretty obvious that certain EA franchises such as Sim City is suffering from their new design philosophy. Sim City 5 for example, will not be moddable on release and I doubt that it will be moddable to the extent of the previous games when they do release that feature if ever, due to its online nature.

Not only this but the new Sim City 5 game will feature region sizes that are capped at what was "medium" in Sim City 4. Obviously this was a decision they made to save server space since all the data from your games will be stored on the cloud, instead of on your own computer.

My opinion is that while certain games types do benefit from having online components, others do not. And it can be seen from the way Sim City 5 is being gutted to accommodate its new online only status. Its fine if they add multiplayer modes to FPS games like dead space, but when they impose that on games like the Sims or Sim City, its obviously going to detract from the game play/ replayability and thus the experience that everyone has grown used to.

Edited by frostz, 07 September 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#2 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Piracy has a pretty hefty role in moving into an online component ;)

#3 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

As long as a game is not totally dependent on you having an internet connection because some people don't or just a very slow one. I know the Sims City 5 requires one. Lets just hope it does not take too much bandwidth.

Piracy has a pretty hefty role in moving into an online component ;)

I have no clue how much GB I have pirated. XD

#4 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Why EA will forever be a joke:

-Origin
-Mass Effect, BF3, and almost every other game on Origin
-BF3 battlelog

#5 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Who cares about EA. its been a long time since I liked one of their games.

#6 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

They are only popular for the sims games.

#7 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

They are only popular for the sims games.

They're more popular for Fifa over here, everyone that loves footie has at least 1 copy of it :p

#8 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

They're more popular for Fifa over here, everyone that loves footie has at least 1 copy of it :p

Yes but the sims 3 made them to be a very popular game site.

#9 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

EA are terrible...
Their online pass system makes me never want to purchase another EA game.

#10 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I got to tell you this. lol they use to give out $20 discount codes for problems unresolved and I use to always make up these lies about the Sims 3 problems and I got like 10 $20 off discount codex but they stopped it once Origin took over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users