Quantcast

Photo

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#26 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Tell me the difference between a self-producing machine and life, explain to my self-expanding AI program is not life, explain to me a virus.

Life is complicated,I don't think it would ever be possible to truly define it.

#27 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Aaaand everyone is an expert in cosmology.

#28 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yep, and like I said, he took what I said too literally.

Your post was based under the assertion that the universe was infinite. I simply corrected you. If you're suggesting I shouldn't take anything you say literally, then wouldn't you be the one posting non sensical rubbish? I'm not going to bother deciphering the hidden meaning for whatever you post. If you meant it was very very big, say that.

It's a fact that universe is not infinite?
I have but one thing to say;
No it's not.

Watch out ladies and gentlemen, we have what looks to be some aspiring physicists in our midst. Feel free to throw down some evidence to back up your claim, otherwise your post contributes no more than mine. If you're intent is to say we can't prove the universe isn't infinite, then you win the medal for most ridiculous Neocodex post of the day (quite a claim). Shit, while we're at it, why don't we throw religion, magic and the flying spaghetti monster in to the mix. We can't disprove any of them, but that doesn't actually lend evidence to support their existence.

Wow, such an insightful addition to the conversation -___-
That coupled with your amazing status complaining about advanced membership. I can see you're going to be an amazing new citizen to the Codex community... :shit:

Frankly I haven't seen you post anything but unintelligible rubbish in this thread. What exactly is your contribution to the community?

#29 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Your post was based under the assertion that the universe was infinite. I simply corrected you. If you're suggesting I shouldn't take anything you say literally, then wouldn't you be the one posting non sensical rubbish? I'm not going to bother deciphering the hidden meaning for whatever you post. If you meant it was very very big, say that.

Why should I change the way I post just so one person can wrap their head around it? :rofl:
People always say things that aren't to be taken literally. For example.
"I can't find the remote, I looked everywhere." - Did you really? Everywhere?
"I told you a million times, no." - Oh a million? Really? I lost count at 646,789 times.

#30 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Watch out ladies and gentlemen, we have what looks to be some aspiring physicists in our midst. Feel free to throw down some evidence to back up your claim, otherwise your post contributes no more than mine. If you're intent is to say we can't prove the universe isn't infinite, then you win the medal for most ridiculous Neocodex post of the day (quite a claim). Shit, while we're at it, why don't we throw religion, magic and the flying spaghetti monster in to the mix. We can't disprove any of them, but that doesn't actually lend evidence to support their existence.

Frankly I haven't seen you post anything but unintelligible rubbish in this thread. What exactly is your contribution to the community?

Hey now. I gave people massive discounts on clothing. That counts for something :D Lol
I'm game for getting a medal for most ridiculous post! -grabby hands-

I was merely stating we cannot state "it is a fact that the universe is not infinite" because we don't know either way. While we don't know, it is more logical to state it is infinite, in my opinion, than to state it is not because we have yet to discover an "end point". My opinion is, 51% of our evidence says it's infinite because we've yet to find evidence of an end. So while there's a chance it's not correct, it seems to me to be the more logical ideal.

Edited by Gorix, 11 September 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#31 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Aaaand everyone is an expert in cosmology.

All science fiction writers are experts, as it forms the basis of the universe we create.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

But...

Assuming that either of the modern theories regarding the birth of the universe are true (the Big Bang and the Big Bounce), the universe would have started out considerably smaller than it is now (or in the case of the Bounce, would have imploded first), and has continued to grow since the current iteration of our universe began. These theories have been backed up by extensive research, expanding on Einstein's theory of gravity.

Something that is growing cannot be infinite, because the process of growing implies that it has boundaries. Yes, those boundaries continue to expand, but the very fact that the universe is expanding negates it from being infinite.

Posted Image

Actually, it's not the Universe itself that is expanding. Not exactly. It's more that the space itself is expanding. So, don't picture two boundaries moving away from each other, try to picture every single point in space moving away from each other.

Thus, the Universe can be potentially both infinite and expanding.

#33 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

"I can't find the remote, I looked everywhere." - Did you really? Everywhere?
"I told you a million times, no." - Oh a million? Really? I lost count at 646,789 times.

lol. "The universe is infinite" is unlike any of your two aforementioned examples (which are very common phrases everybody has been exposed to). Your post literally means the universe is infinite. Infinite isn't synonymous with big. It's not even close.

I was merely stating we cannot state "it is a fact that the universe is not infinite" because we don't know either way. While we don't know, it is more logical to state it is infinite, in my opinion, than to state it is not because we have yet to discover an "end point". My opinion is, 51% of our evidence says it's infinite because we've yet to find evidence of an end. So while there's a chance it's not correct, it seems to me to be the more logical ideal.

51% of evidence says the universe is infinite...We have yet to discover an endpoint? Are you pulling my leg? Are you being deliberately obtuse? Go read up a bit on cosmology before you try to contribute to a discussion on the subject. We have evidence that seems to show the Universe expanding (thus there is no absolute endpoint). That certainly doesn't mean its infinite.

Actually, it's not the Universe itself that is expanding. Not exactly. It's more that the space itself is expanding. So, don't picture two boundaries moving away from each other, try to picture every single point in space moving away from each other.

At this point it's truly semantics. A good analogy is to think of space expanding like a balloon. Even if that balloon never exploded (and hence could expand to infinitely large proportions), that doesn't mean at any single point in time it's size is infinite.

Edited by PING, 11 September 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#34 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Can I keep you?

#35 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

lol. "The universe is infinite" is unlike any of your two aforementioned examples (which are very common phrases everybody has been exposed). Your post literally means the universe is infinite. Infinite isn't synonymous with big. It's not even close.

I'm not going to argue with you over the context in which I said something vs how you interpreted it.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said I didn't blame you for correcting, can't you just take that and fly away?

#36 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

51% of evidence says the universe is infinite...We have yet to discover an endpoint? Are you pulling my leg? Are you being deliberately obtuse? Go read up a bit on cosmology before you try to contribute to a discussion on the subject. We have evidence that seems to show the Universe expanding (thus there is no absolute endpoint). That certainly doesn't mean it's infinite.

I'm not claiming to be educated on the topic. :p
I simply gave my view and opinion on the issue, which is what this thread asked for. It didn't say anything about only people who are highly educated on the matter.

I live in America, where education on topics isn't necessary to argue about them. Hell, just look at the GOP.

Edited by Gorix, 11 September 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#37 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'd like to point out that this thread has veered off topic.
The discussion is extraterrestrials.

So I'll stop replying until we get back to that, so I'm not encouraging everyone any more then I already have.
My bad.

#38 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm not claiming to be educated on the topic. :p
I simply gave my view and opinion on the issue, which is what this thread asked for. It didn't say anything about only people who are highly educated on the matter.

Do I need to requote the post where you called me out for something I said? If you're going to dispute what someone says, at least have the ability to intelligently discuss it.

#39 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Do I need to requote the post where you called me out for something I said? If you're going to dispute what someone says, at least have the ability to intelligently discuss it.

Because you stated it as a fact, which it is not. o.0
At least from everything I have read. Nothing claims to know for certain if the universe is infinite or not.

That was my only argument with what you said.

#40 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

Just because the universe is expands forever, does not imply that the size of the universe in infinite. An infinite series may converge or diverge, the summation of the series of 1(x^^3) is a convergent, the summation of (1/x) is divergent. They used to think that the rate of expansion would converge, now they think it will diverge. There is a magical fudge factor called dark energy making the universe's expansion accelerate, since I don't understand dark energy I'm not sure if it will or won't.

Either way, time does not appear to converge, so while size may or may not be infinite, likely time will be.

#41 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I just wish a Romulan cruiser would decloak before your eyes and kill you all.

#42 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

I just wish a Romulan cruiser would decloak before your eyes and kill you all.

You mean a Romulan warbird.

#43 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

You mean a Romulan warbird.

K, thanks. Nerd.
*feels utter shame and humiliation for what just happened*

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

At this point it's truly semantics. A good analogy is to think of space expanding like a balloon. Even if that balloon never exploded (and hence could expand to infinitely large proportions), that doesn't mean at any single point in time it's size is infinite.

But likewise, the balloon could always have been infinite, and still be expanding.

The fact that the Universe is expanding is totally unrelated to the discussion on whether it is infinite. That was my point.

#45 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

K, thanks. Nerd.
*feels utter shame and humiliation for what just happened*

Just joking, fictional ships in fictional wars with fictional names.

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Just joking, fictional ships in fictional wars with fictional names.

If you want to get really technical, "cruiser" is an acceptable general term for Romulan ships. So it's canon.

#47 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

The universe is just too big to not have other life whether it is just a single organism or some intelligent life.

#48 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'll just throw this in the mix: String Theory has the idea/theory of there being around 12 different universes, or what is referred to as the "multi-verse", so, I'd say yes I believe there is extraterrestrial life out there somewhere (and I don't mean just "aliens" and "martians", with multi-verses it's possible there are more you's out there, and since they don't even live in our universe or planet they'd be extraterrestrial)

#49 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

No.

#50 infecthead

infecthead
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

But...

Assuming that either of the modern theories regarding the birth of the universe are true (the Big Bang and the Big Bounce), the universe would have started out considerably smaller than it is now (or in the case of the Bounce, would have imploded first), and has continued to grow since the current iteration of our universe began. These theories have been backed up by extensive research, expanding on Einstein's theory of gravity.

Something that is growing cannot be infinite, because the process of growing implies that it has boundaries. Yes, those boundaries continue to expand, but the very fact that the universe is expanding negates it from being infinite.

Yet something that never-endingly (is that a word? :/) grows can be considered infinite, can it not?

As for me, I think that denying there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe is extremely narrow-minded. There are trillions of planets, billions of stars, millions of galaxies, and so the chance of something else being out there vs nothing is very high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users