99 replies to this topic

#1 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,3443581.story

Posted Image
Left: iPhone 4, Right: iPhone 5
iPhone 5 is longer but thinner and less heavy.

Thoughts?

In other news AAPL rose $9

Edited by PlsLetMeTalk2AdmBe4BanPls, 12 September 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#2 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

If it is just larger, thinner and less heavy why would someone pay $200 for an upgrade? Didn't the 4S come out not that long ago? One of my pet peeves with apple. They come out with new things every 6 months and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change.

Edited by Dorkie, 12 September 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Adding around an extra inch? Talk about overcompensation.

But really, I really do think the Iphone 4 size is perfect for a phone/gadget =/

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Agreed, the size before was perfect, and now they add an extra inch, cases will be harder to use. You can see how Samsung phones don't really have cases just because a lot of them are different sizes.

Theres obviously a lot more to iPhone 5, why would they just make size changes >____>

#5 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well, I've been needing a new phone for a couple years now after I broke my iPhone 3GS. All the phones I've had after I broke my iPhone are like Nokias. I'll be one of the people who pre-orders it on the 14th, because I'm not going to stand in a line at like 1AM in front of an Apple store to buy one. At least they added more things to this than they did with the 4S, where they basically just added Siri. I doubt I'll be using their new built in app called "Passbook" which is for things like boarding passes, but the panoramic camera seems interesting and a good thing in my opinion.

I just hope ATT doesn't do some crap like: Oh it's a 4g phone now and your grandfathered unlimited plan is only for 3G so you have to buy this capped plan, but they probably will. *sigh*

Though changing the charger is not something I like, now my old chargers wont work if I lose the one it comes with. They say they'll have an adapter for it, but I doubt that'll be included with the phone (and it'll probably cost like an extra $20-$50).
Plus, the size looks odd to me, but at least it isn't as large as the Samsung Galaxy S 3 (which is huge to me).

Edited by Satsuki, 12 September 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#6 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Edited by Ivysaur, 12 September 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#7 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Obviously apple is running out of ideas so they make the screen larger. I can see the apple addicts going crazy for this.

#8 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Obviously apple is running out of ideas so they make the screen larger. I can see the apple addicts going crazy for this.

You sound really ignorant js.

#9 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

If it is just larger, thinner and less heavy why would someone pay $200 for an upgrade? Didn't the 4S come out not that long ago? One of my pet peeves with apple. They come out with new things every 6 months and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change.

You do realize that all technology companies do this, right?

#10 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

You do realize that all technology companies do this, right?

I don't know but Mac releases a new OS like every 6 months but with Windows/Microsoft it is more like 2 - 3 years. Microsoft office took 4 years plus for some releases.

You sound really ignorant js.

Look on youtube. I have seen many videos of people being so excited because it has a bigger screen.

#11 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Look on youtube. I have seen many videos of people being so excited because it has a bigger screen.

zzz

If it is just larger, thinner and less heavy why would someone pay $200 for an upgrade?

But its not just larger and thinner and less heavy. Why don't you read a little about it before posting something about it.

Didn't the 4S come out not that long ago? One of my pet peeves with apple. They come out with new things every 6 months and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change.

Yes this is called market plan and it is how you make money. Well considering how you thought the iPhone5 was "just larger, thinner and less heavy," I can see why you would think that theres not much change.

Well considering how you don't know any of their new ideas, you can't really say much can you. They don't run out ideas, they just save ideas for the next version so that they can make money. This is their market plan. Well obviously apple addicts will go crazy, theyre apple addicts.

#12 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I don't know but Mac releases a new OS like every 6 months but with Windows/Microsoft it is more like 2 - 3 years. Microsoft office took 4 years plus for some releases.

Different products/price points. OSX updates are frequent and cheap. Windows updates are take longer and cost a lot more.

Also, Vista.

#13 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well this is what I mean in total. When I look at something I don't read all these things I do not understand. When I am looking at this iphone it looks the same other then size. There is nothing new on the outside. Look at pictures of iphones. They all look the same. If I bought a Iphone 1g I will more likely not buy the 2g, 3g, 4g or 5g because they all have the same base. Okay it is faster cooler but if i was just buying it for regular daily use I will not buy 6 of them while the 1g is still working.

Posted Image
2g vs 3g okay new color. But what I am looking it is generally the same.

Posted Image

I cannot tell the difference. It is suppose to be 2g and 3g. If I saw this I would say why would I buy this. It is the exact same.

Different products/price points. OSX updates are frequent and cheap. Windows updates are take longer and cost a lot more.

Also, Vista.

Don't know about you but I would rather wait 3 years for one rather then keep buying and updating. Another thing I notice is that it is not big when a OS comes out but when Windows 8 came out I saw lots of things about it.

#14 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Don't know about you but I would rather wait 3 years for one rather then keep buying and updating. Another thing I notice is that it is not big when a OS comes out but when Windows 8 came out I saw lots of things about it.

It's not even a hassle. OSX takes care of it all for you through the app store. A small purchase, download and restart and you're all done. And your second statement isn't true at all. Whenever a new version of OSX comes out it is a big thing. However, it's all relative. Obviously Windows is a far more popular OS, so there's going to be more press about a new Windows version than a new OSX version.

#15 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Also, Vista.

Made me smile +rep

#16 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

I want to ask you guys who has an iphone right now?

#17 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I have an iPhone, though I'd most likely buy a Samsung phone next time around. It just annoys me when people jump on the bandwagon to bash Apple products.

#18 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I feel kind of underwhelmed by this release to be honest, maybe it's because everything was basically leaked ahead of time (even if nothing was confirmed as true). Or maybe it just seems like everything that got upgraded was already standard on a lot of current gen phones which is almost like them playing catch up and since they only release a new phone every year they'll be even farther behind in 6 months.

Larger screen? But it's only taller, sure it gives you an extra row of icons and closer to the 16:9 aspect ratio but that's only good if you're watching HD tv shows -> more data

Improved processor. Up to twice as fast as the old A5 chip, still not quad core, even if in North America only dual core phones are available. Don't think it's 1.5 GHz, on the other hand, Microsoft proved that you don't necessarily need the fastest processor to have a slick device.

LTE has been been around for some time now

It's thinner. I'd rather take a phone that's slightly thicker with a better battery life than a phone with decent battery life and is thinner.

Improved Siri. So now it might only be slightly worse than Google Now.

Where's the NFC? The wireless charging? I understand that apple isn't one to adopt bleeding edge of technology. But they do have a knack for convincing people to want stuff that they didn't realize they wanted. That 'one more thing' that forces all the other companies to think 'oh shit, we need to do this too'

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the Nokia Lumia 920 as my next phone. We'll see though

#19 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have a free prepaid Nokia block of shit that can block a bullet.

Its always funny to look at the Microsoft stock and see that random drop when Vista was release :c

Edited by PlsLetMeTalk2AdmBe4BanPls, 12 September 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#20 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Vista was crap but the fixed it with Windows 7. =) Well if you own one would you buy this one?

#21 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the Nokia Lumia 920 as my next phone. We'll see though

How much do you think it'll end up being?

#22 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

It's cool and all, but not for me. I will be happy getting a 4S (hopefully it's a bit cheaper since the iPhone 5 will be out) in a couple months instead of the 5. Might even just go back to the 3GS as that was my favorite phone besides my Blackberry Bold 9780. After the 3GS the iPhones seem very breakable and not sturdy. That kind of scares the clumsiness in me.

On a side note, I'd really like to switch to Virgin Mobile from T-mobile, anyone recommend/not recommend it? If you could PM me some advice, that'd be great. ^_^

Edited by Harlow, 12 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#23 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Reading the features are very lackluster compared to the 4S. I only got it this November and love the phone to death, but the 5S doesnt' seem like an overall huge improvement. That being said, I might get it in a few more months if people like it, but I'm in no rush since mine is in great working condition and everything.

#24 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

How much do you think it'll end up being?

No idea, couldn't see it being more than 200 on contract. Maybe a bit less if they're trying to be competitive

#25 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,3443581.story

Posted Image
Left: iPhone 4, Right: iPhone 5
iPhone 5 is longer but thinner and less heavy.

Thoughts?

In other news AAPL rose $9

AAPL rose 3 dollars from opening. So, you should probably understand how finance works before you Google 'Apple Stock' and think you're making an intelligent comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users