iPhone 5

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Also, I would like to know where these figures are coming from that it will be $200 more. It certainly wasn't mentioned anywhere in the original article, and everything that I can find on the internet about the iPhone 5 price structure is speculation.

Sure sure, just ignore the final part of that sentence where it said "and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change." Every company releases regular products, especially in the cell phone market. They don't charge hundreds of dollars for an tiny upgrade. You cannot ignore half of a sentence to fit what you want to say :|

Apple is one of the few (if not only) companies that release tiny upgrades for the price of a fully upgraded phone.

And the pricing is on the apple website

http://www.apple.com...ompare-iphones/

Of course, they only tell you the price with a contract. Expect the non contract ones to be between 500-700 dollars.

Also, something the left out of their big reveal and anyone wanting to purchase should know. iPhone 5 is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards.

Edited by iargue, 13 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#52 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Sure sure, just ignore the final part of that sentence where it said "and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change." Every company releases regular products, especially in the cell phone market. They don't charge hundreds of dollars for an tiny upgrade. You cannot ignore half of a sentence to fit what you want to say :|

Apple is one of the few (if not only) companies that release tiny upgrades for the price of a fully upgraded phone.

Bullshit.

#53 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

The Samsung Galaxy S3 in quad core, so yeah, glad to see your horribly uninformed.

Did you miss the part where I said in North America? Unlike the rest of the world we only get dual core S3 and One X.

Edited by rockets, 13 September 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#54 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Bullshit.

Care to elaborate? Provide sources? Anything?

Did you miss the part where I said in North America? Unlike the rest of the world we only get dual core S3 and One X.

You can get the international version within NA...

#55 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Care to elaborate? Provide sources? Anything?

With you? There's no point.

#56 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Of course, they only tell you the price with a contract. Expect the non contract ones to be between 500-700 dollars.

Also, something the left out of their big reveal and anyone wanting to purchase should know. iPhone 5 is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards.

I didn't choose to ignore that part, I actually included it in bold if you completely failed to see that. I included it because the same can be said for most any cellular company. Compare all the Blackberries to one another and let's ask ourselves if it's really worth it to release another phone that does exactly the same thing as the last one with slightly better specifications. Just because you personally hate Apple does not set them apart from any other technology company, they all do the same things.

I don't know who would give a fuck that the 5 isn't compatible with the micro-sim cards. If you could explain why someone might care that would be great. You get a new card whenever you buy a new phone anyway. My things will transfer to an iPhone 5 just like they transferred to my current phone, by computer backup.

The price, may I point out, is exactly the same as the price was on the 4S when it was released. I am not seeing this mystery $200 difference.

#57 Kashi

Kashi
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

When you say: "and they do not come cheap and many times there is not much change", you're not saying, in any way, that the price difference from the iPhone 4S's release to the 5's is as for "a fully upgraded phone".

They do tell the price without a contract. It's around 500-600 dollars, I don't remember the correct price.

#58 Tocsin

Tocsin
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

http://www.youtube.c...&v=rdIWKytq_q4#!

#59 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I didn't choose to ignore that part, I actually included it in bold if you completely failed to see that. I included it because the same can be said for most any cellular company. Compare all the Blackberries to one another and let's ask ourselves if it's really worth it to release another phone that does exactly the same thing as the last one with slightly better specifications. Just because you personally hate Apple does not set them apart from any other technology company, they all do the same things.

I don't know who would give a fuck that the 5 isn't compatible with the micro-sim cards. If you could explain why someone might care that would be great. You get a new card whenever you buy a new phone anyway. My things will transfer to an iPhone 5 just like they transferred to my current phone, by computer backup.

The price, may I point out, is exactly the same as the price was on the 4S when it was released. I am not seeing this mystery $200 difference.

1)Don't use blackberry as an example. Blackberries are shit, and blackberry is basically out of business as it is. They own less then 3% of the market for a reason.

Galaxy S 2 to Galaxy S3

Slightly better processor
1 GB of ram increase (Huge)
15gb of memory increase
Display resolution increase
Stereo Microphone
Android Jellybean OS
Bluetooth 4.0
Improved battery life and power
NFC

Iphone 4 to Iphone 4s

slightly better processor
Bluetooth 4.0
Siri
2 megapixel camera increase
Decreased battery life

Iphone 4s to Iphone 5
Slightly better processor
LTE
512mb of ram
Slight resolution increase
ios 6.0
Slightly taller

I hate apple BECAUSE of this reason. Saying "Just because you hate apple doesn't make them bad" when the very reason why I hate them is the reason your trying to pass off an non existent. You can't say I'm making this up because I hate them, I hate them because of this very reason.

2)What? You do not get a free 16/32/64gb sd card when you purchase a new phone?

If you paid 60 dollars to pick up a 64 sd card to improve the space on your phone, then its 100% useless with the new on, and its an added expense. Just because you didn't buy an external card, doesn't mean that million of people who did buy one won't care about it. ITs very important to consumers to be aware that they can't use their existing external sd card with it.

3)The 200 is the price of buying the new device. You pay 200 dollars to go from the iphone 4 to the iphone 4s and you get a very small upgrade for 200 dollars. You go from the iphone 4s to the iphone 5 and you get a very small upgrade for 200 dollars.

#60 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

1)Don't use blackberry as an example. Blackberries are shit, and blackberry is basically out of business as it is. They own less then 3% of the market for a reason.

If you paid 60 dollars to pick up a 64 sd card to improve the space on your phone, then its 100% useless with the new on, and its an added expense. Just because you didn't buy an external card, doesn't mean that million of people who did buy one won't care about it. ITs very important to consumers to be aware that they can't use their existing external sd card with it.

3)The 200 is the price of buying the new device. You pay 200 dollars to go from the iphone 4 to the iphone 4s and you get a very small upgrade for 200 dollars. You go from the iphone 4s to the iphone 5 and you get a very small upgrade for 200 dollars.

1) I used Blackberry as an example because it saliently illustrates exactly what I am saying. If you choose to dismiss it, then that's poor form on your part.

2) SD cards are not the same as SIM cards. You are talking about two completely different things.

3) Again, technology companies release new products regularly. Not everyone is going to buy a new phone just because it's available (I know I am not, I usually skip a generation between phones) but those who are ready, want to, need a new phone, whatever will buy this one. They will get the most current iteration of the iPhone for the same price that they could have gotten the older version before this was released. I don't see why this is such a big deal.

#61 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

White people over the Iphone 5: what, there aren't even that many new features and the screen is bigger which is good/bad. Oh well.
Asian people over the IPhone 5: IT'S NEW AND BETTER THAN MINE AND I WANT IT

seriously. That's the reaction I see on my fb/twitter xD

#62 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

None of my facebook friends have mentioned the iPhone 5 which is quite the shocker, usually there's at least a handful out of my 400 or so friends comments about it whether good or bad.

Another surprising thing is even on apple-centric forums such as macrumours, about 40 - 45% of the people polled were disappointed, which seems quite high.

#63 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Does that mean apple fans are even disappointed in this.

#64 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Umm... You do realize that you initially were talking about a Micro-SIM and not a MicroSD card, right? You do realize that there is a difference, right? The iPhone has never supported SD cards. They moved away from a micro-SIM to the nano-SIM because they made the phone thinner... It's not rocket science... (I could have a side argument on the merit of SD cards in phones but I won't here...)

Also regarding cellular phone manufacturers creating products frequently to make money arguments, your beloved Samsung made NUMEROUS phones in the time between the S2 and S3... (The Galaxy Nexus being the one that I now happen to own after owning my iPhone 4.) Motorola is the absolute worst about this... I remember working for Verizon and we launched (what seems like) 5 new smartphones within 3 months. Apple releases about 1 phone per year.

As to the OP, I personally am tired of the Android OS... I've rooted it and put custom ROMs on it and it has a lot of options that the iPhone doesn't have, such as NFC. I've been waiting for the next model iPhone to launch for several months now and considering paying retail price ($749) for one when it launched. However, I was generally unimpressed with this launch. I'm sure it's a great phone.... If I was actually in the market for a new phone I'd grab the new iPhone.... but it's not a phone that is so amazing with all of its new features that I'm going to run out and buy it at $749...

#65 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

I just went into the ATT store where I live to have the phone ordered there instead of online because it'd be easier and apparently: They've deleted my grandfathered unlimited smartphone data plan. Every time I've been in there I've been told, "oh you get to keep the plan you were grandfathered into it". I went in yesterday to confirm that they went going to make me get a new plan because the 5 is a LTE network phone. I was told that I could still keep the unlimited plan I had.

So, I have the plan yesterday, go in this morning and SOMEHOW it just disappears. I never agreed to give my unlimited plan up. They've been trying to get people off unlimited plans for a while now. When the 4 and 4S came out people who ordered online discovered they couldn't select their unlimited plan for the phone, and they unwillingly giving up their unlimited plan. So many people got angry that the unlimited plans were given back.

Now excuse me while I go make a very angry phone call. (and hope i get my plan back and can order the 5 today.)

I feel like someone gave me a puppy then said a minute later, "Oh the puppy got rabies in the span of a few seconds, you don't get to keep it anymore."

And as for Samsung, the phone's they make are just too large for me to be comfortable with. Along with their app store that's had some problems because the way they screen apps isn't as rigorous as trying to get an app into Apple's app store.

Edited by Satsuki, 14 September 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#66 m33r33

m33r33
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Actually, the majority of the posts in this topic say they are considering purchasing it.

Glad to know your an apple fan boy true and true, you had better hope that HTC's patent doesn't stop the sell of the Iphone 5 or you're screwed and won't have a phone.

Uh no, i see people being somewhat negative about it, but okay.
and i'm not a fanboy (sent from my gaming pc, girl btw), I just like iphones a lot. And guess what, it's called craigslist if HTC actually succeeds in suing apple. Even then I have an iphone 1 in my drawer to chill with so I won't be /that/ screwed.

and lol "Of course, they only tell you the price with a contract. Expect the non contract ones to be between 500-700 dollars."

I can tell you're a little bit misinformed... The factory unlocked ones are released in november! They release the ones on contract first because most likely Apple and the carriers have some little agreement or something. You're spouting all these specs on an android phone like you know sooo much about phones yet you mistake SIM cards and SD cards.

Edited by m33r33, 14 September 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#67 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

1) I used Blackberry as an example because it saliently illustrates exactly what I am saying. If you choose to dismiss it, then that's poor form on your part.

2) SD cards are not the same as SIM cards. You are talking about two completely different things.

3) Again, technology companies release new products regularly. Not everyone is going to buy a new phone just because it's available (I know I am not, I usually skip a generation between phones) but those who are ready, want to, need a new phone, whatever will buy this one. They will get the most current iteration of the iPhone for the same price that they could have gotten the older version before this was released. I don't see why this is such a big deal.

1)I ignored it because the only company that uses the same exact practices is not bankrupt. Why would we bother discussing a company that screwed up and died off? Thats like saying "NU uh! Other people do this shit..... and don't make any money from it"

2)My bad, read it wrong it seems

3)We are talking two generations with minimal upgrades. The Iphone 4 is just as worthy as the Iphone 5... Despite posting the entire list of differences you seem to think that every company just releases tiny upgrades, so this argument is pointless. I provided direct facts that supports that not every company does what they are doing, and you ignored it, and so I have nothing else to contribute to this discussion.

#68 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Heh. "Else".

#69 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

1)I ignored it because the only company that uses the same exact practices is not bankrupt. Why would we bother discussing a company that screwed up and died off? Thats like saying "NU uh! Other people do this shit..... and don't make any money from it"

2)My bad, read it wrong it seems

3)We are talking two generations with minimal upgrades. The Iphone 4 is just as worthy as the Iphone 5... Despite posting the entire list of differences you seem to think that every company just releases tiny upgrades, so this argument is pointless. I provided direct facts that supports that not every company does what they are doing, and you ignored it, and so I have nothing else to contribute to this discussion.

1) Blackberry is not bankrupt nor are they going out of business as far as I know.

3) No, you gave me two phones from one company that, as WharfRat pointed out (and you conveniently ignored), had released multiple other phones in that time.

Posted Image

I'm sorry, I can't read that number very well. Does that say 150, or 160?

Bitching about a company that releases one phone a year and comparing it to a company that has over 100 different phones, as if they are any better, is laughable.

#70 m33r33

m33r33
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Of course, ONLY Apple has their factory-unlocked phones so expensive!
https://bbymobilepho...com/detail/1665

Device Only (No Plan) Unactivated Price:$699.99

And the whole micro-sim card issue... the carriers have the nano-sims in stock and provide them. For people like me who use mvnos, hopefully they'll have em in stock, but its simple to cut the sim down to size.

#71 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

1) Blackberry is not bankrupt nor are they going out of business as far as I know.

3) No, you gave me two phones from one company that, as WharfRat pointed out (and you conveniently ignored), had released multiple other phones in that time.

Posted Image

Bitching about a company that releases one phone a year and comparing it to a company that has over 100 different phones, as if they are any better, is laughable.

Don't bother Nymh. Whatever you say will not be credible anyway since you don't have a PhD yet. Sorry :(. Maybe we can talk once you get one.

#72 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

*coughdie*

#73 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

So glad I'm not an Apple fanboy or else I'd probably be pretty upset right now :p

#74 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

1)
http://www.thenews.c...elays:-analysts
http://www.dailyfina...on-go-bankrupt/

3)I ignored it because its retarded.

There is a HUGE difference between offering multiple products, and offering an upgraded version of a phone.

Hp, dell, lenovo, toshiba. FUCK THOSE COMPANIES. How dare they fucking offer us multiple versions with different features for different prices. How dare companies give us options on features and pricing.

What kind of backwards stupid thinking is that? Samsung releases different phones for different purposes and they have different pricing. They release phones for low end smart phones that are cheap, and release others with more features that cost more, until you reach their flagship phone. What your doing is taking a good thing and trying to spin it so Apples "single phone a year, with minimal upgrades" isn't anything different.

Don't even get me started on those fucking car companies? How many fucking different models are they going to make?

#75 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

3)I ignored it because its retarded.

Oh, well if that's the new rule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users