Quantcast

Why is anti-gay behavior seemingly condoned in sports?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#26 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Where in my post did I say i participated in this behavior?

I thought it was implied, since you were talking about the normative behaviors of "your crew," you are a member of said crew whose mindset you were trying to explain, and you didn't state that you didn't participate in this behavior. Sorry for assuming, I guess.

#27 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

I thought it was implied, since you were talking about the normative behaviors of "your crew," you are a member of said crew whose mindset you were trying to explain, and you didn't state that you didn't participate in this behavior. Sorry for assuming, I guess.

Yes, its not good to make character assumptions about someone you hardly know. That type of behavior is not acceptable to me. I was merely explaining what I experienced while working in a male dominated field.

#28 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Yes, its not good to make character assumptions about someone you hardly know. That type of behavior is not acceptable to me. I was merely explaining what I experienced while working in a male dominated field.

No need to get superior. I apologized. Get over it.

#29 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

My Junior Officer was as good as mountain jumper as I ever knew. She was smart, tough, focused and a fan of tacos. These were in the dark days of Reagan and Bush, when the spooks were trying to sniff out any "unfits" with rumors being enough for a general or medical discharge. I protected her. I was brought up on charges for her. She is the third closest person I have in this life. That does not mean she did not not scream at the top of her lungs for the "Pie eating, pierced C't lesbos in our unit to get their minds out of their girlfriends C's and their shit straight so she didn't have to scrap their smelly C's off of the side of the mountain because you sissy girls were too busy., OK, she could motivate the crap out of a person.

I don't know if there were any more sisters of Sappho under my command, odds would say that there were. I suppose some of the men might have been that way too, other than the two that got removed.

I can't tell you that kind of behavior is right but it was and I suspect is still a kind of military right of passage.

#30 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

No need to get superior. I apologized. Get over it.

Sorry, having a frustrating morning and those kind of assumptions have always been a pet peeve so I probably overreacted. It was nothing personal I promise :p

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Do you get involved and ask them to stop, Josh?

#32 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Do you get involved and ask them to stop, Josh?

I do what the military has laid out for me to do.

#33 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

The masculinity police runs the military with an iron fist so I don't see telling people to stop doing much to help the situation.

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

I do what the military has laid out for me to do.

So, you condone it implicitly by your inaction. I'm sure you're a great comfort to your homosexual sub mates.

#35 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

So, you condone it implicitly by your inaction. I'm sure you're a great comfort to your homosexual sub mates.

No, I don't condone it. My original answer indicates that I take the actions expected of military personnel, which mostly consists of using the chain of command. Trust me, with the repeal of the don't ask don't tell policy, measures were put in place to deal with these type of issues. Does that clear things up?

#36 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^á´¥^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

They are trying too hard to overcompensate for the urges they get from seeing each others wang in the locker rooms.

#37 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

The masculinity police runs the military with an iron fist so I don't see telling people to stop doing much to help the situation.

Which is why I use the COC instead of verbal disagreement, its much more effective :)

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

No, I don't condone it. My original answer indicates that I take the actions expected of military personnel, which mostly consists of using the chain of command. Trust me, with the repeal of the don't ask don't tell policy, measures were put in place to deal with these type of issues. Does that clear things up?

Yeah, it does. You let it happen and then tell tales, instead of standing up to them yourself. There's no reason you can't do both... Save cowardice.

#39 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, it does. You let it happen and then tell tales, instead of standing up to them yourself. There's no reason you can't do both... Save cowardice.

If its a junior person, then I can use positional authority. However, it turns out I'm still pretty junior and we are taught to use the chain of command when someone above your rank pulls something like that. To be honest Joe your not in the American submarine force therefore you have no place telling me how my job works. No offense, but I've been doing this for 3 years now and I know the proper ways to do things.

And yes, there is a reason I can't do both, it's called disobeying a direct order. Fact is, as heroic as it may seem at the time, those kind of stunts can land you in Captain's Mast (I've seen it happen) and be a real quick end to a forward progressing career. I've never had a problem with taking the correct action, and I've been able to remain friends and close shipmates with all of the openly homosexual men on my crew. So, I really don't see why you're trying to tell me that's not the case.

Edited by Josh, 21 September 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#40 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Which is why I use the COC instead of verbal disagreement, its much more effective :)

You'll get your MOS converted to rat catcher if you don't follow CoC. Even if it is one of those rare situations where you're suppose to bypass you next in line, they'll always remember what you did.

I am fascinated what it must be like to serve after DaDt. I knew two that my senior or myself got rid, one by gentle persuasion not to re-enlist the other got caught soliciting underage.

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Fact is, as heroic as it may seem at the time, those kind of stunts can land you in Captain's Mast (I've seen it happen) and be a real quick end to a forward progressing career.

At least your priorities are straight, then.

#42 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

What you're trying to imply has already been nullified by the fact that I've already stated I'm on really good terms with everyone, including those who are openly homosexual, on my boat. I've only ever once had to actually report hazing, and the person who was being hazed (a good friend of mine) was very appreciative afterwards because another shipmate choose to try and stop the hazing the incorrect way and only made it worse for the both of them since the person harassing simply became even more belligerent and made a bigger scene.. Why are you so insistent on framing me as being a coward?

Edited by Josh, 21 September 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#43 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Why are you so insistent on framing me as being a coward?

This is a strange place, they have strange ideas. Real people have to deal with real situations. One of those is people that whom qualify for duty in the deep dark cold are not cowards.

#44 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Joe, you are being ridiculous. Lay off Josh, he's done everything right for the situation he was in.

#45 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

*shrug*
I disagree.

#46 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Sweeney, your title really should be "resident asshole". You're a dick about everything. You forget you're as flawed as everyone you put down.

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Sweeney, your title really should be "resident asshole". You're a dick about everything. You forget you're as flawed as everyone you put down.

Not everyone.

#48 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

]

Go wash your vagina, it is obviously very irritable and getting on your nerves. Joe is merely challenging Josh's inactive and passive behaviour to anti-homosexuality cultures and bullying.

#49 Bjork

Bjork
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

I think being homophobic is such an old people action.
How could someone still behave like this? It's a really outdated vision.

#50 infecthead

infecthead
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

Is there something wrong with valuing yourself over others?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users