Quantcast

Why is anti-gay behavior seemingly condoned in sports?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#51 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

Go wash your vagina, it is obviously very irritable and getting on your nerves. Joe is merely challenging Josh's inactive and passive behaviour to anti-homosexuality cultures and bullying.

Are you trying to say that Sweeney is not an asshole who acts as as if he is above almost everyone or that there is nothing wrong with that? If it is the former is then you're being ridiculous.

Edited by cronus, 22 September 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#52 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

Is there something wrong with valuing yourself over others?

Only when you pretend to hold the opposite view ;)

#53 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

Are you trying to say that Sweeney is not an asshole who acts as as if he is above almost everyone or that there is nothing wrong with that? If it is the former is then you're being ridiculous.

Joe is an incredibly arrogant dickhead, but he backs that up with evidence of intellectual statements and doesn't back down just because someone's feelings might get hurt. I suggest if you feel someone is being a bit mean to you, you tell the teacher. Which is fucking ironic.

#54 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Is there something wrong with valuing yourself over others?

Yes, because in the military when you need the others to have your back, they won't. A lone wolf dies like a dog,

Josh is an naval officer, trained for one of the most (he might say most) prestigious and demanding tasks. People in the deep blue, they are a team, they are a family, they are locked in a little space deep under away from home and help.

Exactly who here is qualified to comment on Josh's accordance with proper behavior.

All I wanted to say, I'm happy he's not required to report any and ally homosexual behavior and testify against them. I hate those days.

#55 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

*shrug*
I disagree.

Really? I think you made your point very loud and clear that you disagree. I think it would have been better to just state the obvious then stoop down so low as to start insulting me.

And Frizzle, if my behavior was inactive and passive I would just sit by and watch it happen without taking ANY action (hence "inactive"). However, I've already stated that I take the appropriate action as laid out by my command. As I said before, I'm sorry you disagree with the way the military handles these situations Joe, but you're stepping out of place by calling me a coward for following what I am supposed to do.

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

Really? I think you made your point very loud and clear that you disagree. I think it would have been better to just state the obvious then stoop down so low as to start insulting me.

And Frizzle, if my behavior was inactive and passive I would just sit by and watch it happen without taking ANY action (hence "inactive"). However, I've already stated that I take the appropriate action as laid out by my command. As I said before, I'm sorry you disagree with the way the military handles these situations Joe, but you're stepping out of place by calling me a coward for following what I am supposed to do.

I said I could see no reason for your actions other than cowardice. I still can't.
If you're on such good terms with all your shipmates, why can't you just have a quick word and say "Come on now, that's not cool Let it go.", or similar? You know, instead of leaving your gay friends to suffer through it before doing anything.

Doesn't make sense to me.

#57 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

I said I could see no reason for your actions other than cowardice. I still can't.
If you're on such good terms with all your shipmates, why can't you just have a quick word and say "Come on now, that's not cool Let it go.", or similar? You know, instead of leaving your gay friends to suffer through it before doing anything.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Of course I say those kind of things. As I said before, unless the person has positional authority over me, I would try to stop an event of hazing at the lowest point possible, which would be telling the person to stop. Yes, I would tell someone senior to me "that's not cool," but as a junior sailor I can't lawfully tell them to stop, so in that situation it's better to do as we are taught and simply use your CoC.

How is that being a coward?

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Of course I say those kind of things. As I said before, unless the person has positional authority over me, I would try to stop an event of hazing at the lowest point possible, which would be telling the person to stop. Yes, I would tell someone senior to me "that's not cool," but as a junior sailor I can't lawfully tell them to stop, so in that situation it's better to do as we are taught and simply use your CoC.

How is that being a coward?

Uh... you said you didn't do that...

#59 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Uh... you said you didn't do that...

Negative, I said I didn't try and stop those senior to me.

You never directly asked if I said those kind of things, so I didn't know that's what you were trying to imply. So you really can't say I said I didn't do that because that's the first time if you ever asked if I said that specific kind of thing.

Edited by Josh, 22 September 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#60 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

What?

Do you get involved and ask them to stop, Josh?

What?

#61 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

*shrug*
I disagree.

And that just shows how ignorant you are of the military. COC is there for a reason in military, for better or worse. If Josh "stood up" against someone senior to him, not only is his own military career probably ruined, it wouldn't solve the problem.

That person senior to him wouldn't get punished for his actions, and it would bring more attention to the gay person being humiliated by his crewmates - and not necessarily in a sympathetic manner. It would reinforce any beliefs of "well, we shouldn't have gay people in the military because they cause problems".

Command's way of handling problems is with authority and, if needed, subtlety. Those who go outside COC do not propser, do not change anything, do not solve problems.

Real life isn't like the movies. Sometimes you need to follow the law in order to get results instead of acting out of "instinct".

#62 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

What?

What?

That's not the equivalent of "that's not cool." It may be the case for you, but I don't make that connection.

Edited by Josh, 22 September 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#63 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

And that just shows how ignorant you are of the military. COC is there for a reason in military, for better or worse. If Josh "stood up" against someone senior to him, not only is his own military career probably ruined, it wouldn't solve the problem.

That person senior to him wouldn't get punished for his actions, and it would bring more attention to the gay person being humiliated by his crewmates - and not necessarily in a sympathetic manner. It would reinforce any beliefs of "well, we shouldn't have gay people in the military because they cause problems".

Command's way of handling problems is with authority and, if needed, subtlety. Those who go outside COC do not propser, do not change anything, do not solve problems.

Real life isn't like the movies. Sometimes you need to follow the law in order to get results instead of acting out of "instinct".

But Josh has just said that he does act outside of CoC, by getting involved with a quiet word. So...?

That's not the equivalent of "that's not cool." It may be the case for you, but I don't make that connection.

If only you had managed to make that connection between "getting involved" and "getting involved", think of all the trouble we'd have saved.

#64 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

But Josh has just said that he does act outside of CoC, by getting involved with a quiet word. So...?

No, I did not say I stand up against someone senior to me.

If only you had managed to make that connection between "getting involved" and "getting involved", think of all the trouble we'd have saved.

I did make that connection, however I did not make the connection of "asking them to stop " to "that's not cool." You should have already understood that I understood the first part because I said at the minimum I go to the COC which is "getting involved."

Edited by Josh, 22 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#65 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

No, I did not say I stand up against someone senior to me.

Yes, I would tell someone senior to me "that's not cool,"

This is ridiculous.

#66 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

This is ridiculous.

I figured you would go there. There's a difference between expressing your opinion and telling a senior crew member to stop. The first is acceptable under military law, the second is not.

#67 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I figured you would go there. There's a difference between expressing your opinion and telling a senior crew member to stop. The first is acceptable under military law, the second is not.

A valid point. Not sure who it's directed at, though, since I haven't said anything about "telling" anyone to do things.

#68 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

A valid point. Not sure who it's directed at, though, since I haven't said anything about "telling" anyone to do things.

So you would say that saying "that's not cool" is standing up against someone senior to me? I didn't see it that way, I just thought that was expressing my opinion on the matter. I figured standing up would be defending the person being attacked by telling the harasser to stop.

#69 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

So you would say that saying "that's not cool" is standing up against someone senior to me?

...clearly.

I didn't see it that way, I just thought that was expressing my opinion on the matter. I figured standing up would be defending the person being attacked by telling the harasser to stop.

I never used the term "standing up to" anyone, either. Have you actually been reading my posts?
Edit: Yes I did, my bad. My mistake. Still, standing up to someone doesn't have to involve getting all aggressive and in their face.

#70 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Do you get involved and ask them to stop, Josh?

This is the scenario you initially proposed. Josh has answered you consistently.

#71 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

...clearly.

Clearly to you, however we're not all Joe, you should know that :)

I never used the term "standing up to" anyone, either. Have you actually been reading my posts?

Did I misunderstood when you quoted me saying that I wouldn't stand up against a senior member and that I would tell a senior member "that's not cool" you were tying to imply I was contradicting myself? I thought we were discussing this apparent contradiction? I was trying to explain how I did not equivocate standing up to someone to the same as expressing your opinion on a matter.

#72 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

He can express an opinion of distaste, but he cannot ask someone senior to stop, as this can be construed as a command.

#73 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

He can express an opinion of distaste, but he cannot ask someone senior to stop, as this can be construed as a command.

Semantics. Expressing an opinion of distaste is an implicit request to stop.

#74 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say in my own awkward way :p

#75 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Clearly to you, however we're not all Joe, you should know that :)

No, but most people probably latched on when, as you note below, I directly equated the two.

Did I misunderstood when you quoted me saying that I wouldn't stand up against a senior member and that I would tell a senior member "that's not cool" you were tying to imply I was contradicting myself? I thought we were discussing this apparent contradiction? I was trying to explain how I did not equivocate standing up to someone to the same as expressing your opinion on a matter.

Expressing an opinion is the same as standing up for that opinion, which is, in turn, the same as standing up against opposing opinions.
Is that not obvious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users