Quantcast

Weddings and whatnot

wedding

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

So, tomorrow will likely be one happier of my allotted days. This will be the first wedding my daughter has ever been a participant. This is hardly going to be the most normal wedding in the world. Turns out the bride is Jewish, I never knew that. She has two mothers so not all temples would allow the ceremony to take place. Sorta, only one temple would allow both mothers to participate. The other mother is not Jewish, but Jewish people like my nation track identity only through the birth mother. (Sort of)

So I hear he's a nice Jewish boy in med school no less.

One of the mothers of the bride is my former junior officer who left the military to be "wed" to the love of her life. I did not turn in a suspected homosexual when I served. For that and one other little quirky detail I was actually brought before a formal hearing. I did not lose but I lost. I would have done anything for her and I suppose I did.

They were the cutest couple when pregnant. There was only supposed to be one pregnancy but something happened. Demeter was born in late December, Janice was born in early January. Everyone knows them as J & D. J's is dark haired and skin the color of aged wood. D is the smooth complexion of coffee with cream and hair that is wild and willful. If I must say so they are beautiful girls. This fact never ceases to surprise me.

The girls were about my daughter's age when our daughter was born. The were some of the first visitors that we had after we got home, they helped the first hard week. They are sisters and the daughters of their mothers. Anyone that says otherwise does not understand how life and love works.

There was much discussion about what to call one another. This is complicated. Finally J said "Well she'll be our not-sister". That was agreed on. It is now a bit of a family joke. That is the term that was decided by the three Mothers and a Mother has the right to decide these things. No one else has the right.

So our daughter will stand for the first time in a wedding. She is only 10 but already looks like a woman at five foot one. J will be marrying a doctor while getting her own zoology degree. D is the engineering major.

There will be a reception that follows. I will be singing the first song for them. That is a bit of a miracle by itself as I didn't know I could sing until recently. I hope some day I live to see our own child's wedding with her not-sisters as bridesmaid.

Salome

Edited by coltom, 27 September 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

k

#3 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

k

QFE

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

k

#5 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

QFE

CaYMDuF

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

CaYMDuF

Is that an Indian acronym? I've never seen it before.

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Isn't this why we have a blogging feature?

#8 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Is that an Indian acronym? I've never seen it before.

Really, in my day that was a very common phrase. Strange that you've never seen it.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Really, in my day that was a very common phrase. Strange that you've never seen it.

I think I'm about 40 years off your day though. :/ I don't even have a clue what it could mean.

#10 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think I'm about 40 years off your day though. :/ I don't even have a clue what it could mean.

Well, might try CAYMDYF

You say "You" some say "u"

#11 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

I thought this was going to be a topic where we could talk and squee girlishly about weddings.

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I thought this was going to be a topic where we could talk and squee girlishly about weddings.

Pfft, weddings are so patriarchal.

#13 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I was about to go on and on about my 1 million dollar victorian wedding dress, but there is almost no logical opportunity to post in this thread other than to criticize colty.

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well, might try CAYMDYF

You say "You" some say "u"

Still no idea. :/

#15 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Oh you should see her dress, ivory with a high collar, lace in the bodice (forgive if I don't know all the terms). The arms are flared, with small little pearls on the lace on the bodice. The bridesmaids dresses, the her sister will be in a deep rose and daughter will be in a shade of blue similar to sky blue but paler. I think they told me what the color was but I am a male and don't always remember colors. The groom and groomsmen. Well, who cares. I have now discovered that there will be no wine glass broken.

The wedding has to be done long before the Sabbath. How did I not know she was Jewish.,.,.,.., There is going to be wine at the reception from my family winery. They are going to have a three piece band for the music.

The grooms family is just having a knipsion about the two mothers but J gets her fire from her birth mother and she had told them what they can and can not say.

I was about to go on and on about my 1 million dollar victorian wedding dress, but there is almost no logical opportunity to post in this thread other than to criticize colty.

You will not share my joy?

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Oh you should see her dress, ivory with a high collar, lace in the bodice (forgive if I don't know all the terms). The arms are flared, with small little pearls on the lace on the bodice. The bridesmaids dresses, the her sister will be in a deep rose and daughter will be in a shade of blue similar to sky blue but paler. I think they told me what the color was but I am a male and don't always remember colors. The groom and groomsmen. Well, who cares. I have now discovered that there will be no wine glass broken.

The wedding has to be done long before the Sabbath. How did I not know she was Jewish.,.,.,.., There is going to be wine at the reception from my family winery. They are going to have a three piece band for the music.

The grooms family is just having a knipsion about the two mothers but J gets her fire from her birth mother and she had told them what they can and can not say.

You will not share my joy?

Posted Image

#17 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

How many days does a person get like this? If your heart so hardened against me that would insult me on this special day?

Doves, I forgot there are going to be doves released with little notes on their legs. The doves like the ones Noah released, are supposed to take messages of joy and love to the four corners of the Earth.

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Doves, I forgot there are going to be doves released with little notes on their legs. The doves like the ones Noah released, are supposed to take messages of joy and love to the four corners of the Earth.

Doves don't tend to fly that far.

#19 Bjork

Bjork
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

It's nice to know that you didn't judge the bride because she is jewish. Society needs people like you.

#20 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Doves don't tend to fly that far.

The wedding planner said they would. She didn't come cheap.

It's nice to know that you didn't judge the bride because she is jewish. Society needs people like you.

I've never been to a Jewish wedding. Been to baptist Methodist,Catholic Longhouse and Reformed Native weddings with and without clothing but never a Jewish wedding. I found out yesterday that J hadn't gone through some ritual and that needed to be done.
It is sort of sad, but I must have had the personal file on her mother and it should have said she was Jewish. You would have think that would have came up.

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

The only thing about a wedding that appeals to me is the booze and dancing afterwards.

#22 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Well I think there will be an open bar. Can you make to Memphis tomorrow? I'm not sure about dancing, that wasn't a detail they shared with me.

#23 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

is this some kind of joke? I don't get it.

#24 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'll just hop on a dove and fly right over.

#25 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Isn't this why we have a blogging feature?

Why do we have that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wedding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users