In a bit of a pickle.

pickles.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BugsBunny

BugsBunny
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I might as well ask you for advice, since you are way more mature then the other forums I hang around.

So, I was invited to go to a beach/ bay 3hours where I live in January 2013 with my friend. They've booked the accommodation, and my dad said I could go, but my mum didn't give an answer. My friend believe this to be a solid yes, so it was said to his parents I was going, but then my mum changed her mind and I am not allowed to go. My friend understood this situation and know what is happening with my dad going interstate to work and my mum doesn't want me nor my sister to go anywhere without my dad being home.
My friend's parent booked everything and what not, told him what happened and he told his parents and now I'm going to be charged approx 400$ for the accommodation for not going.

A similar situation was done with my friend. Himself and her went to a concert and it was supposable "free" but then he sprung up on her that he had to pay his dad back as he paid for the tickets on card.

My sister told me "You can't go, they can't charge you for anything. It's like telling someone you're taking them on a holiday for free then suddenly spring up the price for it".

I'm literally have no fucking idea what to do, my mum is not letting me go and my friend's dad is going to be a hawk about the money. .___.

#2 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

I think if THEY invited YOU to come along, and no mention of payment was made, then they don't really have the right to charge you anything. Did they book a separate room for you? Or is it like a chalet or something?

#3 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Does your mom know you now 'owe' these people $400?
I'd unfriend him, if I were you. This is the stupidest predicament I've ever heard of. You'll never catch me paying $400 to NOT go someplace.

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

What difference does it really make if they paid $400 for you to go or if they paid $400 for you to not go? Either way they've spent $400 so there's no real reason for them to charge you for it.

#5 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Don't pay for it, how do they know that you didn't already book accommodations for yourself that you had already cancelled?

#6 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

The more I think about this, the more I think it's just stupid. Whether you went or not, they still would have been out the money. Were they going to charge you for the trip if you went? There's no reason to ask you for the money unless they were planning on charging it to you all along.

I would suggest they find someone else to go with them, or not, but either way tell them to suck it. You don't owe them anything.

#7 Mildew

Mildew
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

So much for being a "friend"

Who the hell charges their friends to go on a trip they /invited/ them to go to?

Especially $400, are they nuts?

#8 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

The friend's parents should have spoke to your parents before booking accommodation, confirming with them that it will indeed cost $400 to do this. I don't think you are to blame.

#9 BugsBunny

BugsBunny
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well, I've told numerous of people and they've told me to not pay. My mum apparently told my friend in front of him that I couldn't go before the bookings.
And it was a suppose "free" trip, but not that I think about it, my friend's family said "free" when they've charged everyone that went.

I've told my mum about the situation and she said, you're not paying, you're not going, this is unfair that you have to try and pay them back. My sister added that he is trying to guilt me into going too.

I would suggest they find someone else to go with them, or not, but either way tell them to suck it. You don't owe them anything.

Well we've been trying to find a replacement, I ain't going to fucking pay 400$ in my current financial situation. And it was apart of the house they rented for the week, to answer your earlier question.

Does your mom know you now 'owe' these people $400?
I'd unfriend him, if I were you. This is the stupidest predicament I've ever heard of. You'll never catch me paying $400 to NOT go someplace.

*explained above* Thing is, he is one of my best friends. It's apparently his family that's like that. But I have some feeling he would get the money and cash it in because he spends too much and complains about being poor.

#10 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Definitely wouldn't pay, especially as they weren't upfront about any costs and it's part of a house that they would have been paying for regardless of whether or not you were invited in the first place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users