Quantcast

Photo

Looking for (classic) film recommendations!

film movie opinion classic

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've been stuck at home a lot lately and to pass the time I'd like to download some films, preferably classic ones. However I'm not sure what to look for so would love to hear if any of you could recommend something.

I prefer comedies but other genres are welcome too. I'll not mention current favourites firstly because it is hard to choose and secondly because I don't want to narrow it down.

Any tips are welcome!

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

How classic are you looking for?

#3 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Anything from only a few decades old to all the way back to the beginning of the 20th century, and I really mean anything. I'd rather look at a few things too many (I can always stop watching if I don't like it) than miss out on some hidden gem or so :)

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Since you said you like comedies I'll start you off with the Monty Python films (you've probably already seen them) and Dr. Strangelove.

#5 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Oh yes, I've seen the Monthy Python ones but never heard of Dr. Strangelove. I'll see if I can find a torrent of it. Thank you!

Ah, Peter Sellers, that must be a good one, can't wait! That'll keep me occupied for 90 minutes or so :)

#6 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

The Godfather 1&2. If you've already seen 'em then watch 'em again.

#7 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have the trilogy at home and watched it this summer so it's a bit too soon to watch it again, but thank you for your input!

#8 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

A Hard Days Night? I'm not really one for black n white films but I had to check it out since it's The Beatles, and it was pretty hilarious. From what i can remember of it anyways :p

#9 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I don't mind black and white myself, some of my favourite oldies are from the days of Jean Arthur, James Cagney etc. I have seen a Hard Days Night before, though I must admit it's been so long I can't remember all if it. If I can't find new titles before I get bored again I'll see if I can find it, thanks :)

#10 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Marx Brothers' film "Duck Soup".

#11 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Marx Brothers' film "Duck Soup".

Seen it! Thanks for your recommendation though, and if you have any more they are more than welcome!

#12 Hah

Hah
  • 19 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

You should watch Harvey. It's a 1950s film that's quite entertaining ^^

#13 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Oh thanks, I've never heard of that one before! James Stewart is usually good, and an invisible 6 foot rabbit? Hmm...

Thank you!

#14 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Princess Bride? I quite enjoyed it.

#15 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I saw it a few months ago, but thank you for the recommendation!

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Since you said you've seen the Monty Python films, what about Jabberwocky?

#17 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

There's a Jabberwocky film? 

*checks IMDB*

Ooo, Michael Palin... Terry Gilliam... great! I'm sure I'll like it! Thanks again :)

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

There's a Jabberwocky film? 

*checks IMDB*

Ooo, Michael Palin... Terry Gilliam... great! I'm sure I'll like it! Thanks again :)

If you like Terry Gilliam I presume you've already seen The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits?

#19 Rainbow

Rainbow
  • Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

• 184 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Un Chien Andalou dir. Salvador Dali :p

#20 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

If you like Terry Gilliam I presume you've already seen The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits?

Yes to the first, no to the second, but downloading it right now. Sean Connery... love his voice *happy thoughts*

Un Chien Andalou dir. Salvador Dali :p

Thank you but no thank you. I find it very difficult to summon even the slightest bit for Dali as an artist. His work does not agree with me at all (literally turned my stomach when I was a child). I'm afraid I've seen a bit of the footage of this short film already and I really wouldn't want to see more of it. But thank you for your input, you have no idea of knowing what my tastes are and I would rather have a few suggestions too many than, well, the alternative :)

#21 Rainbow

Rainbow
  • Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

• 184 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Sure no problem. I think I know which part you've already seen and that's the worst of it imo ... yea I did film in uni so it was interesting for me

#22 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Sure no problem. I think I know which part you've already seen and that's the worst of it imo ... yea I did film in uni so it was interesting for me

That probably helps in learning to appreciate such material. I assume you can see beyond the surface presentation.

When it comes to films i can sometimes appreciate the abstract or surreal, but only sometimes. Very rarely would be more accurate than sometimes tbh. With art it is even more so.

#23 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Check out Buster Keaton's The General. Great silent film era comedy.

Also the original The Producers if you haven't seen it. I know there was a remake, but it couldn't possibly be as good as the original.

Outside of comedy, you should check out Akira Kurosawa's epic Seven Samurai (AKA original title: Shichinin no samurai). This one's rather long, so I'm hoping it'll occupy you for a few hours. I got it a few months back and I find myself watching it about once a week, if not more often. I can't explain it, other than that the film is compelling and a masterpiece.

#24 Dot

Dot
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

A bit late to reply but I just wanted to thank you all for your recommendations. I have worked my way through almost all of them and watched films from directors and actors from the above recommendations too.  It really helps when you're stuck inside and get bored of Neo and other pastimes. Thanks all!

#25 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

"Some like it hot" is pretty hilarious, Marilyn Monroe is in it too! :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: film, movie, opinion, classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users