need phone advice

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

So right now I have an iphone 4. Overall I don't dislike it, but for the most part it's pretty slow. Screen switches, app opens, app closes, and stuff like that can get really slow sometimes.

Are there any "good" phones out there that are really fast or at least fast enough that you don't notice the lagginess?

#2 TheMysteryDoctor

TheMysteryDoctor
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Get the Gallaxy S 3 Its the droid version of the iphone

#3 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Not Sure how well versed people here are on cell phone. But I too have a iphone (3GS) and am really really tired of iOS. Anyone know a good andoid I could trade it for preferrably At&T or T-Mobile?

#4 TheMysteryDoctor

TheMysteryDoctor
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

^  look at my above post lol

#5 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I really doubt I could trade my 3GS for a S3. Unless I'm mistaken which I would have a mini-freakout. lol

#6 brainbabe

brainbabe
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Galaxy S3 is nice, but I prefer the HTC One X and recommend that (you can get it on AT&T's network for a pretty decent price, not sure about T-Mobile). HTC, in general, implements their own interface on top of Android (Sense UI) and I find that it's a much smoother interface than the usual Android one. My friends who have the S3 have commented on that as well, but if it's not such a huge deal, then you're pretty much comparing oranges to oranges with the two.

Probably the best thing you can do is go to a provider's store and test them out yourself. Most Android devices out right now are all capable of similar things, it usually comes down to individual preference.

An aside: I really fell in love with Galaxy Note, even though it feels really ridiculous when you use it as, well, a phone. But dat screen. *-*

#7 TheMysteryDoctor

TheMysteryDoctor
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I use the GS3 on T mobile and it works great and i agree with a lot of the feature are the same but the store is imo better since you dont need to jailbreak anything to get the apps you need

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Only advice I have is DONT GET TMOBILE if you live anywhere other then a big city.

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

If you don't want to be locked to a carrier and don't mind paying a bit for the phone then get a Nexus 4, so far mine has been very responsive and it has a slick design.

#10 brainbabe

brainbabe
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Also, if your iPhone is suddenly being slow, it might help to let the battery drain completely and then do a full charge. Apparently, iPhones tend to bug out and that's a widely used fix.

Another note on Android phones: check out engadget.com, they usually review the big Android devices (HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc.) and give great videos and stats for each. Another easy way to "test drive" a phone.

#11 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

If you don't want to be locked to a carrier and don't mind paying a bit for the phone then get a Nexus 4, so far mine has been very responsive and it has a slick design.

I actually plan on buying a nexus 7 when I can. So for the nexus 4 does google offer its own service?

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

I actually plan on buying a nexus 7 when I can. So for the nexus 4 does google offer its own service?

They do, unless you mean if they're a carrier.

#13 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

They do, unless you mean if they're a carrier.

That's what I meant. I was asking if Google offered their own carrier service.

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

That's what I meant. I was asking if Google offered their own carrier service.

Unfortunately they don't, but if you buy the phone directly from them it's unlocked and can work with any carrier compatible with the device.

#15 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Only advice I have is DONT GET TMOBILE if you live anywhere other then a big city.

People never listen.

Edited by Ivysaur, 19 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#16 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

tl;dr: iPhone 5

I have one and it is as nice as frolicking in the back hair of angels.

#17 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Awesome I actually saw on my carriers website that they sell it through gsmnation. Although they are selling the 8gb for 379.00. I think if I do buy it I'll get it from google. :p

Thanks Elin. c:

#18 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

HTC One/One S/One X/One X+

Galaxy S2/S3/Note 2

Droid Bionic/Razr (If you're that hip)

Nexus 4

I'm a phone elitist and these are the only acceptable ones to use

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Get the Gallaxy S 3 Its the droid version of the iphone

I just looked it up, how similar is this to the galaxy nexus, performance wise? Apparently the ubuntu phone OS image is coming out this month and they've been uses the galaxy nexus as their prototyping phone. Wouldn't mind trying that out.

Also, if your iPhone is suddenly being slow, it might help to let the battery drain completely and then do a full charge. Apparently, iPhones tend to bug out and that's a widely used fix.

Another note on Android phones: check out engadget.com, they usually review the big Android devices (HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc.) and give great videos and stats for each. Another easy way to "test drive" a phone.

This phone almost always drains to 0% before I recharge it. It's really old so a full charge doesn't last me more than 2 days(or about 3hours with the screen being on) :p

#20 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have an Xperia Ray. It's one of the smallest smartphones (which I like) and the battery lasts for up to a week WITH usage. it's amazing. I love it. The S4 is coming out soon, you can always wait for that.

The nexus 4 isn't bad either.

Personally, I'm really liking the new Blackberry Z10 and am considering getting one myself.

#21 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yes, get the blackberry if you're okay with having no games/subpar apps on your phone

#22 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I've got a samsung galaxy s3 which works really great apart from it's having some issues with charging properly as I dropped it down the toilet (by accident!) haha.

But pre-watery submission it was working beautifully! :D

#23 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes, get the blackberry if you're okay with having no games/subpar apps on your phone

You can always sideload them. I bought a Playbook for 2/3 less than the price of a Nexus, and sideloaded Android Apps. Now I can use most Android Apps + the Native Blackberry ones.

#24 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

+1 for iPhone 5. No problems with it. 

#25 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

You can always sideload them. I bought a Playbook for 2/3 less than the price of a Nexus, and sideloaded Android Apps. Now I can use most Android Apps + the Native Blackberry ones.

Why bother sideloading a third of the apps available when you can just get the real deal and have full access to the android store?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users