18 replies to this topic

#1 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Or Vice Versa?

Is the capacity for one's love for another greater than their own need for survival?

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Would you die for your daughter?

#3 Shapesnatch

Shapesnatch
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not sure if Neocodex or SAT essay topic...  :S

#4 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Not sure if Neocodex or SAT essay topic...  :S

Debate thread.

I feel that survival is greater than love. It is in human nature for self preservation, or survival if you'd rather, and that extends beyond that of love.

I do feel that if an individual loves another to the point in which that they feel as though they can't survive without them then they shall do whatever is necessary to ensure the health, safety, or survival of that(those) individual(s). In this way love can be tied to surviving but it is not greater than survival only an extension of it in circumstantial situations.

#5 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm not high enough for this 

#6 Shapesnatch

Shapesnatch
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Love is surprisingly tangible. The feeling of attraction is only a series of chemical reactions in the brain, and to what point? Attraction is the precursor to mating and reproduction, and if love is not exercised and being exercised on you, natural selection will eliminate your genes from the gene pool. That being said, survival is not greater than love, and the inverse statement is not true, either. They are linked to each other, love simply being a survival tactic. I guess you could say that love is part of survival, making survival greater, but choosing between the two is pointless. Choosing survival means loving and choosing love means survival.

#7 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yung, I love you. That's all.

#8 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

This is a terrible debate thread, because it depends 100% on the person. There are countless examples in the past of people giving up their lives for loved ones, and countless examples of people abandoning loved ones for survival. It simply comes down to the person.

#9 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Do you need some ideas for a 3 page essay?  :lol2:

jk please don't shoot me.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

The real question is, do you believe in life after love?

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

All my life the idea of losing any one close to me has caused me pain. 
I don't know if that means I am worried about my survival without them, maybe so.

I do know, however, that I would sacrifice my life a million times over so my children might live.
I, like iargue, also don't see the sense in a debate over this because it's subjective.

Ahh I wanted to add an example of how it is subjective.
The first example that comes to mind is the Aurora shooting, The Dark Knight shooting, whatever you'd like to call it. There were 3-4 instances where boyfriends had given their lives to protect their girlfriends. Also a friend risked her life to save her best friend..(http://digitaljourna.../article/329099)

And then there is the scumbag who dropped his infant son on the floor during the shooting, and abandoned his girlfriend and two children. He literally fled the building, got in his car and WENT HOME. (http://articles.mama...left_his_family)

#12 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

And then there is the scumbag who dropped his infant son on the floor during the shooting

At least the child was probably out of the line of fire?

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

At least the child was probably out of the line of fire?

Haha yes but not intentionally.
The mother had taken a bullet to the leg before he fled, and she managed to get herself and the two children out alive.
That's impressive.

#14 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

To me it's a no brainer. I'd give my life for those I love. I'd do it for my husband so he could live, mourn and learn to be happy again.

Like others have said here it depends on the person.

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'd give my life for my child but for a husband? Nahh I'm out of there. I guess I havent felt that kind of love yet.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well, it depends. I would give my life for my children UNLESS we're in a situation in which they would be raped or mutilated. Then I hope beyond all comprehension that I would be able to kill them before they had to experience it. That said, I would probably leave myself alive. So I guess it's circumstantial. But starving to death so they could eat because I love them? Sure. People do it every day all over the world, even for kids that aren't theirs. 

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I often wonder what I would do in the zombie apocalypse. What's the point of surviving if you have no one to share your life with? I do like to be left alone, though. If I had an endless supply of yarn in the zombie apocalypse, I think I'd be okay. But if my whole family dies, and I don't have any yarn, I'd just end it. What's the point?

My brother is my favorite, but I don't think I'd die so he could live. He's pretty stupid, and useless. It's best that he should perish in my place. Same with my mom. I'd try to save them from zombies, and I'd probably go out of my way to help others, but if it meant I had to 'sacrifice' my life... nah. That means they'd have to live without me, and where's the fun in that?

:/

All I'm sure of is that I'm ready to bash some skulls.

The real question is, do you believe in life after love?

ahahaahaha  :x3:  I hate that song, but I know all the words. WHYYYYYY

#18 adonis

adonis
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Stand up... stand tall... stand and deliver, and never stand by.

For me it is a healthy respect for life, and love of life that trumps any individual attachment I have to another person. I do not have to know whom I am helping. While it is a conscious decision to have and support that mentality, I really do not feel I can do anything else. Given the variety of situations I have personally been in, I also aknowledge that there are individuals that have no choice but act upon perverbial "fight or flight" responses. It has absolutely nothing to do with thier  reasoning ability ,love for onesself ,love for another, but more of thier innate nature showing true in an extreme stressfull situation where a breakdown in mental acuity would occur. I have seen 6'6" 240lb alpha males stand shell shocked under extreme duress, and conversly low-T limp wristed sissy boys goes absolutely primal. I don't belive love for another to be a prerequisite for self-sacrifice without righteous indignation or another compulsatory desire that is consciously driving the individual. Self-sacrifice in it's self is a selfish act, generally not a selfless one. Even in my instance the core reason is acting out of fear. Not fear for what might happen to me if I interceed or the individual who's in need of the aid, but rather the fear of doing nothing and being one of the brainwashed mass that are commonly seen watching in horror and ignoring pleas especially in domestic situations I.E. man beating/stabbing a woman in public.The fear of living everyday knowing I could have helped and I should have stepped in. In reality Im the person that passes casually through the crowd and produces my pistol and sends some love downrange and calmy walks away. But conceeding my core motivation is fear of impotence.  

#19 baseball93

baseball93
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm not sure if this question makes sense. Interpreting in a way I can understand, perhaps the question is about whether you'd risk or sacrifice your life for another because you love them? If that is the case, then, I think it's pretty clear that some people love others or someone else enough to put their survival at risk. It varies from person to person and situation to situation. I've never been in such a situation but I beleive under the right circumstances, I would die or put myself at risk for someone I love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users