Photo

Looking for a new laptop...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Does anyone have recommendations/experience for laptops?

I'm looking for one to use in school and I'm currently looking at Lenovo's U410 Ultrabook.

Spoiler

Edited by PlsLetMeTalk2AdmBe4BanPls, 15 March 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#2 blackmiracle

blackmiracle
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

wow that's almost as much as a Macbook pro. I'll always stick with a Mac but i've heard good things about Acer. 

#3 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

I love my Sony Vaio, but they're not cheap. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck with a Lenovo.

You can probably do better than that particular laptop, because it seems like you'd be paying more for the slim design than the hardware itself. I would consider looking into non-ultrabooks if you're planning on gaming, since a lot of ultrabooks have poor ventilation.

Edited by Trichomes, 16 March 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#4 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Just expect to play most games on low if you're settling for the graphics on that. 

#5 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have the Asus Zenbook UX31A, and it's fantastic. You should take a look.  A bit on the pricey side though, $2k here, but it fulfills your requirements.

#6 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

wow that's almost as much as a Macbook pro. I'll always stick with a Mac but i've heard good things about Acer. 

I dislike Macs :c

Just expect to play most games on low if you're settling for the graphics on that. 

Orly... I thought the GeForce 610M was decent to play most games at 60FPS?

I have the Asus Zenbook UX31A, and it's fantastic. You should take a look.  A bit on the pricey side though, $2k here, but it fulfills your requirements.

So much money ;___;

I love my Sony Vaio, but they're not cheap. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck with a Lenovo.

You can probably do better than that particular laptop, because it seems like you'd be paying more for the slim design than the hardware itself. I would consider looking into non-ultrabooks if you're planning on gaming, since a lot of ultrabooks have poor ventilation.

Yeah, I was looking at Vaios but they were usually heavy or expensive :(

#7 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

60 fps sure, if you're running pre-2011 titles (that isn't BF3 or Skyrim intensive games) and fine with mediocre graphics.  :mellow:

Which games are you planning to play?

#8 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

60 fps sure, if you're running pre-2011 titles (that isn't BF3 or Skyrim intensive games) and fine with mediocre graphics.  :mellow:

Which games are you planning to play?

LoL! Having that graphics card will hopefully be a deterrant from getting addicted to other games...

#9 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have a laptop with a slightly better but integrated card which runs it comfortably, so you should be fine with league as long as some settings are toned down

#10 Rambler

Rambler
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I was using a Macbook for a while but then one day something just clicked. I'm paying $1000 more just because it's an apple product. Plus you also couldn't accessorize it as much as I wanted to without jailbreaking it as weird as that sounds.

I went to a 17 in. Dell and it's a beautiful laptop that does everything my mac did and cost $1000 less.

It's the Dell inspiron 17R Special Edition

17''

Comes with i7 

beautiful graphics card 

It's beautiful and I love it.

The only downfall is I need to learn how to use Windows 8 but oh well. I'm not a fan of learning new Operating systems :p

Edited by Rambler, 17 March 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#11 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

:o I've been looking for a laptop for the longest time as well.

I know a lot more now than I did before :$

the 610m graphics card sounds like an older version, most laptops come with 630 at least, that seems like a downside to your lenovo (as a side note, most lenovos look really old and too business like, which is a deterrent to me, but that lenovo looks cute :o) I don't think you could get more for that price though, $700 is pretty fair for an i7 it seems

about Sony laptops, I tend to stay away from them? I've had several people tell me that their build isn't to great (which i guess is okay if you're careful, but I'm great at breaking things!)

The Asus ultrabooks are mostly 14" but they're light and good for gaming, although, as you've mentioned, they are pricey : (

I've been eyeing this bad bitch for a while, just a little pricier (about 1.1 grand MSRP) but looks like it's worth it's cost?

#12 Lambda

Lambda
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

LoL isn't too graphics intensive, so despite the fact that the graphics card on that laptop isn't 'the best of the best' so to speak, you should probably be able to run it just fine. If you wanted to play anything bigger though (Skyrim, etc.), you'd have to settle for lower graphics settings and probably pretty poor FPS. 

I'd personally stay away from Sony, Acer and HP laptops, especially HP. They make great desktops, but laptops, not so much. Speaking from experience...

Lenovo is a pretty good brand, as is Asus. I personally use an MSI GT60 0ND, but that is neither lightweight nor cheap. >_> (I know I linked GT70, but the only difference between GT60 and GT70 is the size, haha). The cheapest MSI laptop I can find is this one, which is around $799. The graphics card is a bit better (645m), has a 15" screen and runs i7. Unfortunately, it's not super lightweight at 5lbs (most Asus/Sony laptops hover around 2-3lbs), but I don't think it's too bad for the power you get. I personally really like MSI laptops, so I'd say it's worth looking into.

Personally, I kind of wish I had waited and bought the GT60 0NE with the 680m graphics card. That thing is a beast. ... though the price leap is pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by Lambda, 20 March 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#13 soundrecorder

soundrecorder
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Whatever you end up choosing, GET A SOLID STATE DRIVE!!! You will thank yourself over and over again. Get a ~100 GB one as your main hard drive, then get an external HD for all your videos/etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users