Quantcast

Photo

Spanking and Other Forms of Punishment

spank discipline merica

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Poll: Is spanking OK? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Is spanking for punishment OK?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I know not all of you have kids/wives, but most of you fo sho have an opinion anyway.

Is spanking ok? Would you do it? Was it done to you? (Did you like it? I have a cousin that likes it.)

Why/why not?

Also, do you believe in spanking your significant other? If not, what's the difference between your kid and your wife/husband?

Edited by Napiform, 23 April 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#2 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yes, I believe spanking isn't an issue. (If it's not taken to the point of abuse, *in my opinion* there is a difference between spanking and leaving welts / bruises)

Granted I was a pretty well behaved child but I was spanked when I was a kid when I did things wrong and it affected my decisions as a kid.

The issue now, and this is prevalent in a lot of aspects in society, people realize that the punishments are so minuscule that they feel doing the wrong thing is okay, because they can tolerate the punishment.

To me, it's sort of similar to breaking the law. If the punishment is something small, like a small fine, people are more apt to say "Screw it, I'll just pay the fine" and break the law anyway.

BUT if the fine were say, $5000 instead of $25, I guarantee they would think twice about breaking the law, or in this case acting a fool.

I know they're not exactly comparable, but I think it makes sense.
Granted I will never have children because I can't stand them but I can't tell you how many kids I encounter at work that are just downright disrespectful and rude. It's not because they're mad or little asshats, it's because they weren't taught to respect other people. We give away balloons at my work and kids that are wild yank them out of your hand, don't say thank you or just walk up and say "Give me a balloon". You'd better believe I say "Not until you ask nicely" Lol

#3 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

I was not spanked, unlike 90% of children.  Hitting your child for 'correction' is just as immoral as hitting your wife for 'correction'.

Kinky spanking is cool though- although I would theorize that that sort of enjoyment comes from childhood, unsure if that's a dysfunction or not...

#4 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

If you wish to slap your kids ass for being naughty then go ahead, if you don't then... whatever *shrug*  :sleep:

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I was not spanked, unlike 90% of children.  Hitting your child for 'correction' is just as immoral as hitting your wife for 'correction'.

Kinky spanking is cool though- although I would theorize that that sort of enjoyment comes from childhood, unsure if that's a dysfunction or not...

Crap, I forgot to add wives up there. I knew I was missing something.

#6 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

See, I don't necessarily see it as "hitting". Sure, it is but it isn't. (To me)

But spanking when I was a kid, sure it left my skin red and was painful but my parent never left bruises, welts on my skin, it was never to where I couldn't sit down or anything of that sort.

Do I believe the same affects can be achieved without spanking? Yes.

Edited by Gorix, 23 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I was one of those kids that was spanked by more than just my parents. (and sometimes more than spanked.) I can count on one hand the number of times I've spanked my kids... and one of them is because she literally asked for it. I don't like doing it, but sometimes I feel like there isn't anything else I can do.

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

I don't like getting spanked. :/

I personally feel like gently pulling the hair on the back of a kid's neck is generally enough to get them to behave.
(That and you can do it in public)

As far as spanking for punishment though...I'm generally against it.

Parents are only human and I feel like their temper can get the best of them.

Then again, I'm no parent. Just the kid of people with pretty bad tempers.

Edited by Ivysaur, 23 April 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#9 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't think I'll ever spank or hit my kids to discipline them.  My mom used to punish me by hitting me with a coat hanger anywhere she could reach, since I was kicking and fighting the whole time to get away.  It was mostly my legs that got the brunt of it.  I'd go to school with big red welts and bruises in the shape of a coat hanger, and no one ever said anything about it.  

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I don't think I'll ever spank or hit my kids to discipline them.  My mom used to punish me by hitting me with a coat hanger anywhere she could reach, since I was kicking and fighting the whole time to get away.  It was mostly my legs that got the brunt of it.  I'd go to school with big red welts and bruises in the shape of a coat hanger, and no one ever said anything about it.

The school district we're in allows the principal to spank. I doubt anyone would say anything here if they went with unobtrusive marks. 

(Not saying it's ok.)

I personally feel like gently pulling the hair on the back of a kid's neck is generally enough to get them to behave.
(That and you can do it in public)

I feel like that's worse than spanking.

Edited by Napiform, 23 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#11 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

My mum used to beat me with a wooden mixing spoon, when that broke she bought a plastic one which used to make my legs bleed. I'm no worse off for it. I just know in future I'll never grow up to be a mother like her. 

I'll still spank if I absolutely have to but it won't be my first port of call. 

#12 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

That's brutal, I'm so sorry...

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

(Not saying it's ok.)I feel like that's worse than spanking.

Not saying yank the hair from their head. Like...just pinch the hair on your neck with two fingers. Don't yank.

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Not saying yank the hair from their head. Like...just pinch the hair on your neck with two fingers. Don't yank.

I dunno. Sounds like a disorder in the making.

#15 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was spanked as a child once in a blue moon. 
I don't think I would ever resort to spanking my kids. I don't really know why, maybe the idea of causing physical harm to my child is just not okay with me.
In my opinion and from my experience, there are alternatives that do not involve physical contact. I'm not judging parents who do, it's just not for me.

As far as spanking your partner well... I don't mind one bit. lol

I think it's different because you're not doing it as a form of punishment. If I forgot to do the dishes and Dan bent me over his lap and spanked me, there would be a problem. lol

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

I think there's a place for it in exceptional circumstances where a child needs a shock to prevent a dangerous situation. For example, if a kid tries to run onto a busy road just talking to them or raising your voice wouldn't equate to the seriousness of the situation so a smack would probably be appropriate to make sure they understand the potential danger and don't do it again.

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

I think it's different because you're not doing it as a form of punishment. If I forgot to do the dishes and Dan bent me over his lap and spanked me, there would be a problem. lol

I meant as punishment.

#18 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

The school district we're in allows the principal to spank. I doubt anyone would say anything here if they went with unobtrusive marks. 

(Not saying it's ok.)

Most teachers in Asia don't really care, or aren't trained to look for these kinds of things.  Sometimes they're the ones administering the punishment as well.

That's brutal, I'm so sorry...

I think my mom regrets what she did back then, but it just further strengthens my resolve to never use physical punishment on my children

#19 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think there's a place for it in exceptional circumstances where a child needs a shock to prevent a dangerous situation. For example, if a kid tries to run onto a busy road just talking to them or raising your voice wouldn't equate to the seriousness of the situation so a smack would probably be appropriate to make sure they understand the potential danger and don't do it again.

Right, I smack my wife when she's about to get into danger.

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I smack her too, her husband hasn't found out about it yet though so don't say anything.

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

You being horny shouldn't count as "danger."

#22 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I smack her too, her husband hasn't found out about it yet though so don't say anything.

My point was that we treat children with such little respect.  Lucky for women they've had their women's right movement, if we could extend moral rights to children, the world would be a totally different place.

#23 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Ehhh... The whole idea of getting angry enough over something stupid to physically hurt and possibly leave a mental and actual mark on your child really turns me off :unsure: Can't you just punish them in some other way hah

I think my dad spanked me and by spank I mean a really light tap on my ass like a total of one time when I was a kid lmao

Edited by Turnip, 23 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

My point was that we treat children with such little respect.  Lucky for women they've had their women's right movement, if we could extend moral rights to children, the world would be a totally different place.

In what way?

#25 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

You being horny shouldn't count as "danger."

It could be if she doesn't like it.  :ph34r:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spank, discipline, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users