Quantcast

Photo

Spanking and Other Forms of Punishment

spank discipline merica

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Poll: Is spanking OK? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Is spanking for punishment OK?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#226 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

It's interesting to see other animals methods of discipline. Some are not much different from our non-maniacal disciplinary spanking.

Don't be ridiculous.

Should we also learn spousal care from the praying mantis? Or conflict resolution from the macaque?
Maybe you'd prefer to mimic the courtship ritual of the dragonfly?

Nature has a lot to teach us, but not about how we ought to behave.

#227 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

This took forever, but I wanted to get context. It could be that I just misinterpreted this whole thread.

Do you lean more towards asking them nicely or some other alternative?

I lean towards using the most effective strategy for the individual child that doesn't involve abusive behaviour.

If none of those other strategies work?

At what point does alternative punishment become a physical punishment though? You can only be awake to get a good talking to for so long before the child has been awake an unnatural amount of time.

Uh, "a good talking to" isn't really a very good option either. Don't you have two children?

I was interpreting a 'good talking to' as the pre/post time out time.

And the reason for that should be clear from those posts.

Just for clarity's sake, I think he's saying this because every kid and every scenario is different. He can't give you a replace-spanking-with-this because it's so subjective.

It's pretty simple. If it causes your child physical pain or discomfort, don't do it.

I can't think of a good way to word what I want to say here, but what if time out causes the child discomfort?

Where?

See above.

We probably should have mentioned somewhere that we employ many other steps and alternatives before reaching results such as spanking. It's really not like one of them shoves the other out of the way and we drag them off to spank them.

Our normal methods are as follows:

Reminder about proper behavior > Reminder about what will happen if misbehavior continues > time-out > sent to bed > OTHER punishment (Spanking, washing mouth out with soap, etc.)

It takes an awful lot for the situation to digress to the point of the OTHER punishment. Some other things that happens are that they get grounded from the t.v./xbox. They don't actually play on the xbox but losing the t.v. privileges has proven to be a dissuading factor.

We have a ton of discussion regarding appropriate behavior, being good examples for their sisters, reminding them that the bad behavior their sister just did will get them in trouble if they do it as well, and so on... I mean we talk about it so much I don't know why they can't quote it like scripture at this point.

This is kinda what I want to talk to you tonight... but a little more privately? (And also, why?)

Edited by Napiform, 20 May 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#228 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's interesting to see other animals methods of discipline. Some are not much different from our non-maniacal disciplinary spanking.

Napi, Yung, why don't you stick to whatever works for your kids? Some kids (like my brother) were perfect little kids who are on the straight and narrow, while some were destructive little demon spawn (much like me) who need some steering in the right direction, which led to many spanks after I didn't bother being obedient. You don't need to follow what works for others, just what works for you. And obviously you're not going to be causing irreparable harm to them unless you go batshit insane on them and make them eat the soap and wash it down with pine-sol.

I agree with this. I don't think most parents rely on just 1 method of discipline. There's usually multiple levels of discipline that are meant for the severity of the transgression. It's best to go with what works for the parent.

Don't be ridiculous.

Should we also learn spousal care from the praying mantis? Or conflict resolution from the macaque?

Don't knock it til you try it.

#229 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was interpreting a 'good talking to' as the pre/post time out time.

Well, you interpreted it incorrectly.

I can't think of a good way to word what I want to say here, but what if time out causes the child discomfort?

Physically? Short of an underlying condition, I can't imagine why it would.
But if it did, you'd find an alternative time out scenario.

#230 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Don't be ridiculous.

Should we also learn spousal care from the praying mantis? Or conflict resolution from the macaque?

Now you're being outrageous. Why does everyone jump to extremes to make arguments? I drew a parallel between how my dogs discipline their puppies and how similar spanking is for human children.

#231 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Well, you interpreted it incorrectly.

How should I interpret it then?

#232 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Now you're being outrageous. Why does everyone jump to extremes to make arguments? I drew a parallel between how my dogs discipline their puppies and how similar spanking is for human children.

You drew a parallel to justify it.
That's a use of the naturalistic fallacy, which is, obviously, fallacious.

The use of extremes to expose the underlying unreasonableness of an argument is a rhetorical technique.

How should I interpret it then?

As it is written.

"A good talking to" is not very effective.
For clarification, just to make you happy, I will add "on its own".

#233 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

As it is written.

"A good talking to" is not very effective.
For clarification, just to make you happy, I will add "on its own".

That doesn't change my mood, but it does change my opinion of your post. Thank you.

#234 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

You drew a parallel to justify it.
That's a use of the naturalistic fallacy, which is, obviously, fallacious.

The use of extremes to expose the underlying unreasonableness of an argument is a rhetorical technique.

The two exist in nature, and is not limited to the two species. Unless of course, you're saying that humans are superior to them and thus should not make use of similar practices.

#235 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I just want to add that, while I do think spanking is an acceptable method of discipline under certain circumstances and do not necessarily consider it abuse, I do resent my father for relying on intimidation tactics to discipline his kids. I mentioned my experiences with having my mouth washed out with soap earlier in the thread, and I responded similarly to being spanked, as I sort of viewed it as an easy way out. My dad always had a nasty temper, probably drank too much, and was verbally abusive, so I did eventually become spiteful and indignant toward him.

I definitely responded better to my mom's preferred methods after my parents split up, which included taking my computer keyboard or mouse away from me and bringing them to work with her, later disabling my text messaging, and general loss of privileges. I think my parents would have had more success in preventing me from becoming a stubborn, foul-mouthed, physically aggressive preteen if they used these methods from the start, although I definitely don't think being spanked as a kid was the only contributing factor.

#236 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

The two exist in nature, and is not limited to the two species. Unless of course, you're saying that humans are superior to them and thus should not make use of similar practices.

Not necessarily superior, but certainly different.
A superficial similarity in unrefined practises does not mean anything.

#237 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Some food for thought - I come from an asian family, and i think that asian values tend to encourage spanking in order to instill discipline in kids. I won't say whether it's better or worse (through i will say that in the right hand, it works well) but one key context could be cultural differences which changes our perspective on the issue. 

#238 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Some food for thought - I come from an asian family, and i think that asian values tend to encourage spanking in order to instill discipline in kids. I won't say whether it's better or worse (through i will say that in the right hand, it works well) but one key context could be cultural differences which changes our perspective on the issue.

Cultural differences may affect perspective, but they don't, or at least shouldn't, affect the conclusion.

#239 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Cultural differences may affect perspective, but they don't, or at least shouldn't, affect the conclusion.

Judging from the progress of this thread, I'll just say that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all and everything should be held in a grey area, never black or white.

#240 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

Judging from the progress of this thread, I'll just say that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all and everything should be held in a grey area, never black or white.

Why? Because some people are determined to be wrong?

#241 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Why? Because some people are determined to be wrong?

Or because there is no right or wrong in this situation?

#242 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Or because there is no right or wrong in this situation?

There is.

#243 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

There is.

Why won't you accept that you're wrong then? :o

#244 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Because that isn't the case.

#245 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Because that isn't the case.

I'm glad that you now agree that there is no right or wrong.

#246 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

I'm glad that you now agree that there is no right or wrong.

Laser, no one could possibly read that from my post.

#247 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Laser, no one could possibly read that from my post.

Well, either you agree that there was no right or wrong in this situation or you're suggesting that I'm wrong. We both know it couldn't possibly be the latter so that only leaves the former. :p

#248 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Well, either you agree that there was no right or wrong in this situation or you're suggesting that I'm wrong. We both know it couldn't possibly be the latter so that only leaves the former. :p

...no.

#249 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Subjective

#250 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hubris and Sweeney. They just go together. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spank, discipline, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users