The Future of Neopets

where is neopets heading

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Charizard

Charizard
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

In what direction is Neopets heading? Do you think it is going to crash downwards, or is this just a small interruption? So far, I've heard mixed answers, but how about you guys?

#2 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I reckon they're heading downwards, and regardless of their actual user base, I think a large portion of the active part of that is from people with illicit multiple accounts. Neopets is meeting a niche, but it seems to be getting smaller :/ Even the site itself it dating, making it less accessible  particularly in regard to mobile devises. There's also the bad handling of user complaints  unless its something to do with NC or premium...

#3 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

I can't think of a company with worse customer service.  Neopets will be going down sometime in the next 5 years methinks.

I had some bad coca cola the other day, and my wife decided to email Coca Cola about it, and they responded within a day.  A multi-national company with a measly complaint from someone who spent less than 5 dollars on a 12 pack still gets back faster...

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

They've been pretty steady for a while now and I think in the future we'll see them push the mobile aspect so there is a lot of potential there for growth.

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

They've been pretty steady for a while now and I think in the future we'll see them push the mobile aspect so there is a lot of potential there for growth.

Gasp! Coco Roll makes a come back!

I just want the avatar dangit.

#6 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Why haven't they renamed the site to Neocashpets.com

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Why haven't they renamed the site to Neocashpets.com

They don't to make everyone update their bookmarks.

#8 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

They've done fuck all outside of NC items, rehashing yearly events, messing up the site and banned everyone so yeah I dooon't think its gonna be around in 5 or so years hehehe!

I dunno, they got rid of their app riiight when smartphones got popular and haven't done anything but make the site more Flash content since then~ Maybe they just don't like mobile users >w<

They really should though! Everyone and their cat has a smartphone or tablet now lmao

#9 thefish

thefish
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

as long as the money rolls in the game will survived :) and i personally love spending NC and supporting the game ^^

they push out plenty of NC content as that is what helps them stay afloat, a large player base is pointless without heavy cashflow

Edited by thefish, 24 April 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#10 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Meh, I told a friend that it'd be good for them to keep Neopets open... Viacom bought it for a lot of money, I don't think they'd give it up that easy. But... after seeing how EA is going to close almost all of their Facebook games... even when the Sims social had 6m active daily users idk what to think any more. I am positive that game didnt give losses to the company, it was still a pretty popular game. I thought companies cared more about liability.

#11 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

as long as the money rolls in the game will survived :) and i personally love spending NC and supporting the game ^^

they push out plenty of NC content as that is what helps them stay afloat, a large player base is pointless without heavy cashflow

What tells me they aren't doing well on the cashflow front: Ads + premium + NC, still can't afford to pay 1 person to respond to all the support tickets.

#12 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

The problem is that the Rico S. guy also answers tickets from Monkey Quest and PPP

#13 Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

If Neopets' doom is inevitable, the question is, how will you deal with your neopets stuff. Sell it all now?

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

If Neopets' doom is inevitable, the question is, how will you deal with your neopets stuff. Sell it all now?

One would have to be worth quite a bit for the effort to pay off.

#15 Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

One would have to be worth quite a bit for the effort to pay off.

Even if you only had around 50m, that's still like 100 dollars lol... And I'm assuming some people have more than that. If i include my pets, I probably have 100 dollars worth, and I would be pretty pissed seeing Neopets shut down with that. I never even thought of Neopets as money value until I came onto this site though LOL

#16 Barcodite

Barcodite
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm just speculating here, but I think Neopets is only a blip on Viacom's radar. If the site keeps tanking, Viacom is just going to cut their losses and either try to sell it or shut it down completely. And since I don't think Viacom is making the money they had hoped Neopets would make in the long run, it's inevitable that Viacom is not going to continue supporting Neopets much longer.

#17 Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Does it cost alot to support a site though? I understand that there are some REALLY dodgy online pet sites out there, with like 100 users online at most... I doubt they're making much, but they still continue. Can't they just cut back on staff, and continue to run (last case senario obviously). Also... they could just have an option to unconvert pets, or something like that.... Even if it's against the 'principles' of Neo, I'd rather do that than shut down the site

#18 Charizard

Charizard
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Does it cost alot to support a site though? I understand that there are some REALLY dodgy online pet sites out there, with like 100 users online at most... I doubt they're making much, but they still continue. Can't they just cut back on staff, and continue to run (last case senario obviously). Also... they could just have an option to unconvert pets, or something like that.... Even if it's against the 'principles' of Neo, I'd rather do that than shut down the site

Cut down on staff.... hehe no TNT

#19 Valorous

Valorous
  • 1003 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Now I want to create a web service.

#20 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I hate this new thing TNT does... they bring you some cool items, but you must pay in NC to get them. (e.g. last plot, you had to buy that stupid thing to do something stupid).

I think Neopets will die in 5 years too

#21 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

It has been around for a long time already, so I'm not so sure it won't be anymore in five years. But I'd be interested how they go about shutting down the site. Like, will they offer stuff to get players back? So far all they do is freeze people.

#22 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Neopets demise has been predicted for years now - and they just keep right on going.  Granted they aren't the site they were 5 to 10 years ago, but they're still here and making money.  (Feel free to check the neocash trades for verification of that.)  They only have to please a very small percent (can't remember if it's 1 or 3 percent) to keep going on happily.

#23 thefish

thefish
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Savy is correct :) what supports and keeps all games going isnt active players, nor popularity, its simply cash flow. you only need a small group of dedicated players that are willing to spend money to keep neopets going ^^

and since im an avid NCer and so are a few of my friends, Neopets has a bright future :)

ive currently spent maybe $500? which is quite a small sum compared to the rest i spend on some games and my friend has spent over $3000 in the recent years :)

at least if neopets keeps churning out content for us i hope to keep it alive for as long as i live!

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

I dunno, they got rid of their app riiight when smartphones got popular and haven't done anything but make the site more Flash content since then~ Maybe they just don't like mobile users >w<
They really should though! Everyone and their cat has a smartphone or tablet now lmao

Some of the recent jobs they've been posting suggest that they're looking at developing mobile apps for their virtual world products. That could bring a lot of extra activity to the site if they manage to integrate them effectively.

#25 thefish

thefish
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

from what ive gathered they revamped the battledome and are attempting to make it playable from mobile :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: where, is, neopets, heading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users