Quantcast

Photo

Net worth of neocodex - we feed the 1% of the forum population, where's the 99%?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ok blame me for having too much time on my hand.

How would you feel if you can make cash out of the browser game we all love and hate, neopets? Well, in 2005 Viacom brought over neopets for a whopping 160 million bucks! That's more cash than any of us will see in our lifetimes through. So it got me wondering - how much exactly is the net worth of the other websites dedicated to neopets, compared to our little community of abers? Let's find out!

First up, we'll be relying on some key factors which determines the worth of a firm.

Content

Traffic worth 

Daily work

Pagerank

Ways to monetize

The first 3 are pretty obvious to find out, but I'll say that the last 2, pagerank and ways are a little more complicated. Basically pagerank is the importance of a website in the whole list of websites in the whole wide world. It shows how high up the pecking order you are in the world. On the other hand, ways to monetize refers to the conversion of traffic worth into direct value, via the use of adverts such as CPM and PPC ads. See those irritating ads wherever you go into a webpage? That's the ad which pays the webby. This is just an oversimplified version of the definition so please take note.

For our comparisons, I'll be using Jellyneo, The Daily Neopets, SunnyNeo (the official certified ones) vs us, Neocodex. I can only find out the number of daily traffic (since that's the only data I can find!)

Traffic rank (according to Alexa)

1. Jellyneo - 47724 (171 link-in sites)

2. Daily neopets - 48728 (136 link-in sites)

3. SunnyNeo - 99071 (137 link-in sites)

4. Neocodex - 316756 (80 link-in sites)

So from the stats, we can see that Jellyneo is largely leading the pack, with a higher rank than the other 3. This is supported by the greater link-in sites which direct traffic into it as well. Surprising, despite having its own battlepedia website, it did not translate directly into more traffic for the Daily Neopets. Sadly, we are last in the pack by...4 times. Wow.

In the reviews, someone said something about 'viruses and penis enlargement ads' if you use neocodex. That might somehow explain our low traffic.

So after seeing this, I guess we're all wondering whether Neocodex is indeed last in the net worth of all of the sites. For this, I'll be using a few webbies given that results are largely varying with huge extremes. If we can spot a trend in all of this, we might be able to determine what makes each of this webbies tick.

*drum-roll~~~*

According to http://www.websiteoutlook.com

Spoiler

According to http://www.cubestat.com/

Spoiler

Although Dailyneopets is leading jellyneo and Sunnyneo, the statistics are still more or less in line with each other. At the same time, it looks as through Neocodex is sadly in the back of things. 

However, take into consideration that the 2 calculating websites are only reliant on traffic instead of other aspects! As mentioned previously, although our traffic may be less, it is the content and monetizing means which affects the value as well. Neocodex relies on its monthly subscription of 5 bucks per advanced membership and ads content for Neocodex bucks, which is not considered into the calculation. All in all, this probably suggests that the overall net worth isn't as bad as it seems and although we may not be as high as the others, it may not be too far behind as well.

That wraps it up. I hope this will be an eyeopener to the worth of websites and beyond and remember, all of these statistics are meant for fun and not meant to antagonize any parties. Feel free to fire away!

Edited by ceterisparibus, 26 April 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#2 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

So much effort :o

That was a really interesting read though, although I'm not completely sure what to make of it, but anyway xD

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I would guess that we're probably the most profitable of all of those sites you listed by quite a long way but we have a completely different model to them too since they all rely on ad revenue I believe. If you look at JellyNeo's donation page they're currently on $654 out of a target of $2000 to pay for the year's hosting so they're currently generating ~$130 per month before ad revenue whereas we generate more than that with lower outgoings (I think).

#4 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

You didn't factor the cost to access the nudes of the members of the forum.

#5 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

We make quite a bit from that actually. You'd be surprised how many people are interested in seeing the people they talk with every day naked O_o

#6 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

We make quite a bit from that actually. You'd be surprised how many people are interested in seeing the people they talk with every day naked O_o

Posing with blumaroo dildos

#7 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Shhh that's the secret club sextion.  :ninja:

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Shhh that's the secret club sextion.  :ninja:

All those pictures of the ape man.

...er Drak. Yeah.

#9 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

I would guess that we're probably the most profitable of all of those sites you listed by quite a long way but we have a completely different model to them too since they all rely on ad revenue I believe. If you look at JellyNeo's donation page they're currently on $654 out of a target of $2000 to pay for the year's hosting so they're currently generating ~$130 per month before ad revenue whereas we generate more than that with lower outgoings (I think).

Yea I think that's probably the case. Does the site rely on direct revenue from the surveys provided? If so it might even boost up the net worth by alot more. As for the premium membership I'm not too sure since there doesn't seem to be too many people trying out the $5 membership fee.

Anyway I'm ashamed that the forum is apparently driven by sexy pictures, c'mon we're a hacking site for goodness sake

#10 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yea I think that's probably the case. Does the site rely on direct revenue from the surveys provided? If so it might even boost up the net worth by alot more. As for the premium membership I'm not too sure since there doesn't seem to be too many people trying out the $5 membership fee.

Anyway I'm ashamed that the forum is apparently driven by sexy pictures, c'mon we're a hacking site for goodness sake

O_o no hacking here, only automation.

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ok, before this goes any further, the nudes section is only a joke :o. That's not how we run our site :rofl:

As for the surveys, no we don't take any extra from the surveys. All surveys and offers completed go directly to store credit for the user.

#12 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yea and I was playing into it too, don't worry getin.001.gif

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

As Hydrogen said, all the survey value goes to the individual user who completes them, if they choose to spend their credit on something in the Store then we get that value otherwise they can do whatever they want with it. We have plenty of people with active Advanced subscriptions.

#14 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

As Hydrogen said, all the survey value goes to the individual user who completes them, if they choose to spend their credit on something in the Store then we get that value otherwise they can do whatever they want with it. We have plenty of people with active Advanced subscriptions.

What is the point of offering surveys then? Isn't the point of them to bring value to both the user and the Store? Also where are these surveys? I've never seen them around. 

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

What is the point of offering surveys then? Isn't the point of them to bring value to both the user and the Store? Also where are these surveys? I've never seen them around.

The surveys give people the opportunity to get Advanced subscriptions or Neocash cards for free. You can access the surveys bit from the Offers link on the top bar or in the Store on the left menu.

#16 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

The surveys give people the opportunity to get Advanced subscriptions or Neocash cards for free. You can access the surveys bit from the Offers link on the top bar or in the Store on the left menu.

I think what willy meant was whether neocodex made any commissions by directing potential individuals to the surveyors

#17 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

I think what willy meant was whether neocodex made any commissions by directing potential individuals to the surveyors

Ah, then yes. The surveys give neocodex money for users completing surveys and offers. However, when we get a notification that we received some money because some user completed a survey, we update that user's store credit with that money immediately. We don't take a cut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users