Rule Amendment - Trading Advertisements

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Just a heads up, we have amended section 6.1 of the rules to include the following:

6.1 - Advertisements for the selling/buying of goods must be made in the designed Trading Post areas only, if applicable.
  • 6.1.1 - Any advertisements not in designed areas will be removed, and a PM notice will be sent. Re-posting the advertisement will result in a 10% warn and re-removal.

This amendment was made in response to some issues with unrestricted trading from people advertising things in their signatures. We only allow people to trade for Neopets goods once they have made 10 forum posts and have been on the forum for a minimum of 10 days. This makes it more difficult for new members to gain information about people's active trades (and possibly identifying them on Neopets) or scam existing users.

This rule has been merged with the existing 6.1 rule, which stated the following:

6.1 - There will be no advertisements for selling/buying in the status updates area of the board. This is to be kept for personal status updates not related to trades only. Keep the trading in the Trading Post.
  • 6.1.1 - Failure to follow this will result in the status update being removed and a PM notification sent. Re-offence will result in the ability for status updates to be taken away, and 10% warn.

Because status updates are considered a public area of the forum, the new rule encompasses status updates as well. This was unanimously agreed upon during the May 9th staff meeting and will be enforced immediately.

-------------

To be clear, this means no trading advertisements in your signatures, status updates, forum profile, etc. They stay in the Trading Post.

Thanks for your cooperation!

~ Neocodex Administration

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Just for clarification, is having a link/banner in your signature referring to a trade thread in the Neocodex TP illegal or should I remove my siggy?

#3 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Just for clarification, is having a link/banner in your signature referring to a trade thread in the Neocodex TP illegal or should I remove my siggy?

Nope, it's fine since it requires them to be able to access the Trading Post area. We are moreso looking for advertisements that have all of the details revealed right in the signature. :p

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Nope, it's fine since it requires them to be able to access the Trading Post area. We are moreso looking for advertisements that have all of the details revealed right in the signature. :p

The problem is that the links contain the thread title within them so they can still prompt people to send PMs to people to initiate a trade.

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

How much time do we got before people get warned/I can mass report multiple people's signatures?

#6 darkmadness

darkmadness
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not being a smartarse, does this mean my sig needs to be altered?

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Not being a smartarse, does this mean my sig needs to be altered?

Nope, just ones which are advertising anything to do with trading something.

#8 darkmadness

darkmadness
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Okay, phew, cheers! (:

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

To be fair that was a really clever way of circumventing the trading post rule.

#10 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

It doesn't say we can post trading in our usernames or member titles :ninja:

#11 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

It doesn't say we can post trading in our usernames or member titles :ninja:

Well for one, member titles can only be added/edited/removed by staff ;) and two, thanks for pointing this out, we shall discuss and probably add it in to the new amended rules :)

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

To be fair that was a really clever way of circumventing the trading post rule.

Really clever? Really? Nope. :p

#13 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

The problem is that the links contain the thread title within them so they can still prompt people to send PMs to people to initiate a trade.

So no more trade links, even if they are just to a thread? :/

Fair enough, I guess also expains why I got a PM from someone asking me to sell them NP, even though I don't have any to sell xD

#14 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

So no more trade links, even if they are just to a thread? :/

Fair enough, I guess also expains why I got a PM from someone asking me to sell them NP, even though I don't have any to sell xD

Exactly :p Unfortunately it's come up a lot lately and it's usually someone who is trade banned / hasn't met requirements, inquiring about buying/selling directly because of someone's signature.
This should prevent things like that from happening. 

So basically anything that could possibly be used to bypass a trade ban / trade requirements, is not allowed. 

#15 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

Exactly :p Unfortunately it's come up a lot lately and it's usually someone who is trade banned / hasn't met requirements, inquiring about buying/selling directly because of someone's signature.
This should prevent things like that from happening. 

So basically anything that could possibly be used to bypass a trade ban / trade requirements, is not allowed. 

Okiee, thanks for clarifying! =)

#16 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Another possible loophole to circumvent this rule: Can't just people go to the User Feedback records under the Community tab to see who actually is trading and maybe ask those people to trade with them? 

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

Another possible loophole to circumvent this rule: Can't just people go to the User Feedback records under the Community tab to see who actually is trading and maybe ask those people to trade with them?

Yes. They could also PM us all at random. In any case, it is advised that you don't trade with anyone who doesn't meet the requirements.

#18 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

"The Kyle rule"

#19 mrcoconut

mrcoconut
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

thanks for the clarification