Quantcast

Photo

Is there any reasonable justification for the 99k price limit in shops?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I've been thinking about how much of a pain in the ass going through the trading post and auctions to sell higher-priced items is, lately. If the price limit in user shops was removed, everything would go much more smoothly, and it would be interesting to see the effect on the economy.

When the 99k limit was first established, as I remember, it was incredibly rare for an item to be worth more than that. The vast majority of items could then be bought from shops, rather than having to go through the hassle of an auction. But...inflation. I'm fairly sure there's precedent of raising price maximum for trading post lots, and maybe even for shops too. Are there any legitimate reasons why the price limit should be maintained at its current level?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

I can't think of a particularly good reason for it myself. I think they should really look at changing some of the limits which were set many years ago like the usershop limit and the stockmarket limit since they're completely out of date.

#3 giraffe

giraffe
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well I think the stockmarket limit is more reasonable because it limits upper end players to a similar profit margin than poorer players, because you only need 15k/day to get maximum value from it.

But with the shops, it doesn't make sense because you can get around that via the TP and auctions etc.

#4 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, the usershop limit is 1 thing I never really understood. Though the Stockmarket limit is understandable to some extent... Though an increase would be welcome :3

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Well I think the stockmarket limit is more reasonable because it limits upper end players to a similar profit margin than poorer players, because you only need 15k/day to get maximum value from it.

But with the shops, it doesn't make sense because you can get around that via the TP and auctions etc.

It takes the fun out of it though. Personally I think they should introduce more companies, bring back bankruptcies and increase the limits significantly so it becomes more competitive.

#6 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

It takes the fun out of it though. Personally I think they should introduce more companies, bring back bankruptcies and increase the limits significantly so it becomes more competitive.

Woah o.o That'd make the Stockmarket something I'd actually like to use! :o 

Though... The idea of a cap removal and the addition of Bankruptcies makes my bone(s) shiver ;D

#7 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

I remember the first version of it was subject to demand and supply right? It led to some pretty hilarious consequences, i can never forget how stocks simply shot up due to mass buyings

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

I remember the first version of it was subject to demand and supply right? It led to some pretty hilarious consequences, i can never forget how stocks simply shot up due to mass buyings

Yeah, it was easily manipulated, I'm sure they could do something about that though if they put some effort in. :p It would be interesting if they went one step further and introduced player-owned companies along the lines of Plushie Tycoon where users could invest and get a share of the profits but I can't see that ever happening. I think the real reason they don't do more with the Stockmarket is that it would be too close to gambling and a lot of parents wouldn't be pleased with it. <_<

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, it was easily manipulated, I'm sure they could do something about that though if they put some effort in. :p It would be interesting if they went one step further and introduced player-owned companies along the lines of Plushie Tycoon where users could invest and get a share of the profits but I can't see that ever happening. I think the real reason they don't do more with the Stockmarket is that it would be too close to gambling and a lot of parents wouldn't be pleased with it. <_<

Whoever ranks #.1 in Plushie Tycoon gets their own Stock Market business, they then have to continue playing every month to help the stock gain value. Other players can contribute to that company and it can form into a franchise.

Just an idea...

#10 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

The 99k shop limit has been around forever (at least for me), I'm not one of those really early players ^^;

So I don't expect them to change it although it would be really helpful.

#11 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

There is no real reason for it other than forcing players to use the Trading Post and Auctions, and that's why they're not going to change it.

#12 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

It's a relic of the past that TNT refuses to update....like so many other things on the site

#13 Wisdom

Wisdom
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Neopets never seem to finish what it started like the new battledome, habitarium etc.

#14 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

There is no real reason for it other than forcing players to use the Trading Post and Auctions, and that's why they're not going to change it.

But why do they want to force people to use the TP and Auctions in the first place? I imagine it would also cut down on scamming, since it's so much easier to do through the TP than through shops.

I can't think of a particularly good reason for it myself. I think they should really look at changing some of the limits which were set many years ago like the usershop limit and the stockmarket limit since they're completely out of date.

Without reintroducing bankruptcies or adding other new mechanics, increasing the stock market limit would lead to more inflation. The other stuff you mentioned would be interesting, but I don't see them putting much effort into it in the near future...

#15 starzs

starzs
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think it's a good thing for resellers since you can't just find a set price for the items. Collectors are usually willing to pay close to tp price and I think a lot of items would end up a lot cheaper. Also, it would tak the fun out trying to obtain items that aren't always up for sale.  

#16 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

The Shop Price Limit has actually been changed twice in the past.

Once it was raised to 49,999 NP and then again to 99,999 NP.

I agree, it needs to be upped again. It would have a drastic affect on items over 100k (up to the limit they set) because they would be more visible / available to purchase (as compared to neomailing people, asking how much they want, etc) and personally I welcome the idea.

I don't really understand the point of a limit in the first place. I guess they want to prevent someone accidentally putting an item worth 1m or 10m in their shop (if there was no shop price limit) and missing a 0 and really getting screwed. As it stands now, you miss a 0 and you lose minimal amounts.

I remember when they upped the shop limits the FIRST time, back when galleries were in user shops (items priced over 49k weren't able to be bought and were considered gallery items) and TNT announced that when the change occurred, if you didn't remove the items they would be for sale. So I, and thousands of others, sat in the top known shops that had amazing gallery items that had yet to remove their items (or price them at 0) and waited for the change over and then bought TONS of items worth a bunch of money for 50k. xD

After that, they introduced galleries being separate from shops.

I do think setting limits on the TP / Auctions is moronic, especially low limits. Auctions have a limit of 10m starting and 10m increments, TONS of items cost more than that so it makes it a huge pain in the ass to sell or buy them or you get accused of 'buying neopoints' by users who see a junk trade go for 30m when in reality you're buying a higher priced item.

They need to adjust things with inflation. Same with things like the Lottery, tickets shouldn't cost 100 NP they should be at least 1,000 NP each.

Edited by Gorix, 30 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#17 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Cause they don't care anymore. They'd rather make 40000 NC Mall items, then change something that isn't important at all to them.

#18 Veini

Veini
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think they should raise it. While it's good for protection against scammers transferring NPS, I think they should have it higher. It's easier than auctions (no wait), but it's a great way to get pure quickly. Even if you say pure only on the TP, you get shit offers. Raise the limits on the auctions, TP, and shop. Shop limit should be 1m. TP should be 10m. Auctions should be 50m.

#19 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

I too wonder why TNT is so reluctant to raise the shop and TP limits. In an editorial not too long ago, TNT mentioned that they would consider raising the TP limit, but it appears that they decided not to do that since it was introduced as a boon for the Battleground.

If you ask me, I think it is because TNT is averse to doing anything that might make things easier for players who make money through buying and selling stuff. Such players already make outsize profits (compared to playing games, the other main method of earning nps), and making it easier for them to sell their items at full value will increase income inequality even further on Neopets.

I know right. Currently the stock market is just a mindless daily for me; no matter which stock you buy, as long as you bought it at a reasonably low price you will eventually make money. TNT should try to make it work more like the real life stock market to make things more interesting - for example, share prices should be pegged to the demand for them rather than move randomly up and down.

#20 StudMuffin

StudMuffin
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think they should raise it. While it's good for protection against scammers transferring NPS, I think they should have it higher. It's easier than auctions (no wait), but it's a great way to get pure quickly. Even if you say pure only on the TP, you get shit offers. Raise the limits on the auctions, TP, and shop. Shop limit should be 1m. TP should be 10m. Auctions should be 50m.

Auctions should have no limit in my opinion, it's ridiculous to put up 10 auctions to sell 1 thing and then you have to deal with all the "laundering/selling neopoints for cheap items" accusations.

#21 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Another reason they might have the 99999NP limit for shops is the main method of finding user shops is through the shop wizard. As you know, the shop wizard only goes through a small number of users at a time, I'm pretty sure there's some weird method in it. The point being that you'd have to refresh ten billion times just to find what you're looking for, if it's a rare item.

I THINK that might be a reason, not too sure.

#22 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

Neopets never seem to finish what it started like the new battledome, habitarium etc.

I think the Neofriends bar is basically the longest thing on the site that's still in beta.

#23 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

In most cases we call it 'educated gambling' emot-smuggo.gif not for kids buddo!

But yea, i do think that it's possible for them to mantain some kind of balance with that. Maybe something like a newsfeed which would hint whether a particular stock was going up or down or boom

#24 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

I think the real reason they don't do more with the Stockmarket is that it would be too close to gambling and a lot of parents wouldn't be pleased with it. <_<

Yeah, because Round Table Poker, Fruit Machine, Turdle Racing, Scratchcards and the Lottery are not gambling, lol.

#25 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, because Round Table Poker, Fruit Machine, Turdle Racing, Scratchcards and the Lottery are not gambling, lol.

I'm fairly sure most of those games are actually blocked for under-13s now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users