• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

I love books, I like holding them, feeling them, and reading them. However, they're expensive and take up a ton of space.

I've also recently discovered the power of bookmarks and the cool dictionary feature in the Kindle app. I still like going to the library and going through the books, picking one out and reading it, but I seem to be able to read ebooks like 3x faster because kids.

I hate the thought that books might go out of style, but I read the news online now and only buy an actual paper for important events and job hunting...

Do you think tangible books are going to disappear completely in favor of ebooks? Does it bother you that they might?

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

I like ebooks way better because my kindle is lighter and more convenient. And when you have a book for a long time the pages start to wear out. 

#3 tournesols

tournesols
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think they eventually will, but not for a long time. Not everyone can afford the technology to use ebooks, and a lot of people still like paper books. Personally, I like e-books, on an e-reader. It's light and convenient. I don't do well reading books on my computer screen.

#4 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I hope not. I've lost a lot of stuff due to my various storage media corrupting. Had no idea optical discs could rot. I've lost track of how many times my phone died on me losing everything, hard drives, flash drives, media cards, optical discs.. So now I've reached a point where I only trust physical copies of anything.

I prefer reading tangible books. I love the feel, smell of them, I like turning pages, I like shoving a pretty bookmark to save the spot. I like knowing I'm reaching the last page and then closing the book rather than with ebooks where I don't keep track of the pages and suddenly the book is abruptly over without warning. I've forever been a paper book junkie. For studying, I still choose physical books because they help me remember things better when I visualize the page.

#5 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

I find e-readers easier to handle. You only need one hand to use an e-reader - no need to concern yourself with keeping the book open. Also, you can read in low- or no-lighting conditions (with the Kindle Paperwhite).

But when it comes to reference books or any other book that you need to jump between different parts of the book, e-readers are cumbersome and it is much easier to flip a physical book.

#6 Honey

Honey
  • 442 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'm also a paper book junkie. I love the smell of the paper. I love how it feels when you turning the page waiting fo the next line to read. I even enjoy the sound the the turning page. Some old book are smelling so nice ... like er... old books. Who need drugs?

And I also enjoy reading books until I fell asleep. I this case I put the book under my pillow and I know it's waiting for me in the next morning - you can't do that with an e-book. ^^

#7 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Real books will never disappear is what I think. Ebooks and tangible books have different uses. I have an ebook and it's good and convenient to use when you want to take it with you and read in a linear fashion but it's absolutely horrible if you want to flip through the book back and forth because you're looking for something (e.g. dictionary or lecture script).

Large book collections still fascinate me and I'd like to own a copy of each book I enjoyed so I can just take it and give it to friends to read.

#8 mintpro

mintpro
  • 597 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

I find e-readers easier to handle. You only need one hand to use an e-reader - no need to concern yourself with keeping the book open. Also, you can read in low- or no-lighting conditions (with the Kindle Paperwhite).

But when it comes to reference books or any other book that you need to jump between different parts of the book, e-readers are cumbersome and it is much easier to flip a physical book.

Pretty much what Trey said. Also some e-books are floating freely in the Internet so that's always nice.

edit: I like tangible books. I use library quite frequently but I don't want to own a huge book collection myself.

Edited by mintpro, 14 June 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#9 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

I wouldn't worry, books are too influential to be phased out. Remember what people thought about newspapers when the internet came along?

#10 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

I think people will always want to have things recorded in a physical way.
I personally prefer real books over e-books, they're better for killing the spiders that seem to like my bedroom. ;)

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I hope not. I've lost a lot of stuff due to my various storage media corrupting. Had no idea optical discs could rot. I've lost track of how many times my phone died on me losing everything, hard drives, flash drives, media cards, optical discs.. So now I've reached a point where I only trust physical copies of anything.

Speaking of this, I found out that you can basically 'lose' all of your ebooks too. Amazon can delete pretty much all of your ebooks  if they think it's necessary. (Unrelated note: I'm banned from selling on Amazon because my dad is. Stupid, right?)

I prefer reading tangible books. I love the feel, smell of them, I like turning pages, I like shoving a pretty bookmark to save the spot. I like knowing I'm reaching the last page and then closing the book rather than with ebooks where I don't keep track of the pages and suddenly the book is abruptly over without warning. I've forever been a paper book junkie. For studying, I still choose physical books because they help me remember things better when I visualize the page.

One of the other things I really, really enjoy about physical books is author signatures. I collect signed books. I guess that could still happen with ebooks, but it doesn't have quite the same impact.

#12 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

I've always stuck to physical books but I do plan on getting an e-reader at some point. It pains me how expensive a lot of e-books are though, especially when the book itself can be loaned for free at the library.

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

I've always stuck to physical books but I do plan on getting an e-reader at some point. It pains me how expensive a lot of e-books are though, especially when the book itself can be loaned for free at the library.

Most libraries let you borrow ebooks now too. I usually get ebooks off the free list on Amazon too.

#14 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Most libraries let you borrow ebooks now too. I usually get ebooks off the free list on Amazon too.

That's good to know! I'll have to look into getting an e-reader soon. I used to read a lot when commuting but books are usually too bulky to haul around all day.

#15 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Most e-books are cheaper than their physical counterparts. And *cough* many e-books can be gotten for free too... ;)

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

That's good to know! I'll have to look into getting an e-reader soon. I used to read a lot when commuting but books are usually too bulky to haul around all day.

I don't even have an ereader, I have the kindle app on my phone and the kindle program thingy on my laptop.

#17 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I've read a few books on my iBooks app, but it's usually been when I'm abroad and I've fallen in love with a series and absolutely can't wait to buy a tangiblehard copy (case in point: game of thrones, I bought books 2&3 on ibooks and read them on my ipad)

But for the most part I love real books. There's a lot of childhood memories of late nights spent up way past bedtime under the covers with a torch and a pile of books and I like the smell and the feel and actually physically finishing a chapter.

#18 tournesols

tournesols
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think people will always want to have things recorded in a physical way.
I personally prefer real books over e-books, they're better for killing the spiders that seem to like my bedroom. ;)

So true. I have a dedicated spider killing book--an old math textbook that my college wouldn't buy back after the semester.

#19 Aradriel

Aradriel
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

Real books! although I've never read on an ereader ...

I could never miss a 'real' book, the feeling, the smell,... I also like to put them in my library when i finish it :p 

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

So true. I have a dedicated spider killing book--an old math textbook that my college wouldn't buy back after the semester.

Good for baby mice too.

#21 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Traditional books and ebooks are in no way mutually exclusive. I think they're fully able to coexist. Sometimes ebooks are a lot more convenient than physical books, but even if brick-and-mortar bookstores like Barnes & Noble go out of business, traditional books aren't going anywhere. Especially for textbooks and other non-fiction books, an ebook is still inferior (so far).

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Traditional books and ebooks are in no way mutually exclusive. I think they're fully able to coexist. Sometimes ebooks are a lot more convenient than physical books, but even if brick-and-mortar bookstores like Barnes & Noble go out of business, traditional books aren't going anywhere. Especially for textbooks and other non-fiction books, an ebook is still inferior (so far).

Even though I almost never buy anything at a new bookstore, it's among my favorite places to be.

#23 Aradriel

Aradriel
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Even though I almost never buy anything at a new bookstore, it's among my favorite places to be.

boekhandel_maastric_122941a.jpg

This is my favorite bookstore ever! This is something a digital bookstore will never replace

#24 tournesols

tournesols
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Good for baby mice too.

Nah, got an air rifle for them.

On topic, I also agree that reference books are easier to use printed than electronic. But I still think in the very far future that all/most books will be electronic, except for historical books (whatever that may mean).

#25 Kauvara

Kauvara
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Real books. I've tried an e-reader and couldn't get into it for some reason. :/ Like many others here, I enjoy the aesthetic, the smell, and the feel of a real book. Not to mention I collect them. ^__^ I much prefer a wall lined with books rather than a screen filled with titles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, ereaders, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users