94 replies to this topic

#51 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

"And for one more thing, it doesn't bother me in the least bit."

"Of course, like my fiance says, books will remain only as a thing of the past like Vinyl records.  People don't really listen to vinyl anymore, but hit songs/special releases are still being released on vinyl as limited purchases.  They'll become vintage and collectible - something that only hipsters/elitists will want."

I can't read ebooks that long, it starts to bother my eyes. Real books are incredibly more pleasant to look at. And so much more fun to hold. 

I have a record player and don't consider myself hipster or elitist. I'm not sure why you think that, but I can assure you that the sound quality from an album is higher than anything you'll hear through your computer. Plus there are some really great records that you just won't find in other formats, and if you do they won't be the same.

#52 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

I can't read ebooks that long, it starts to bother my eyes. Real books are incredibly more pleasant to look at. And so much more fun to hold. 
I have a record player and don't consider myself hipster or elitist. I'm not sure why you think that, but I can assure you that the sound quality from an album is higher than anything you'll hear through your computer. Plus there are some really great records that you just won't find in other formats, and if you do they won't be the same.

You are easily one of the most hipster people on codex.

#53 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Haha because I like to read actual books and listen to records?

#54 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Haha because I like to read actual books and listen to records?

And drink wine while hugging your cat in a scarf in front of the fireplace.

#55 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Haha god if only I had a cat, my life would be complete. And don't be silly, I don't wear a scarf in front of the fire. I lay naked on my lambskin rug. 

#56 Fawkes

Fawkes
  • Team ASS

• 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

i wasn't calling anyone an elitist, just making a joke that books too, like vinyl, will be collectible one day to the hipsters and elitists XD

#57 Impulse

Impulse
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I love real books, but at the same time-- I can carry thousands of books on my kindle. As a poor college student with not a ton of space, that's a pretty big deal to me. My old bookshelf literally fell apart when there was too many books in it and I had to get rid of most of them.

My kindle? Not an issue.

#58 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

There is nothing like real books.

/thread

#59 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ebooks are so much more convenient than real books. You can literally carry around 1000's of books in a purse/bookbag/suitcase/whatever without breaking your back. Also, with how widespread wifi is, you can also have access to thousands of other books with the swipe of a finger. I'm a kindle user myself so I guess I'm kind of partial to that. Nitro does make a good point about the state of the device impacting the reading process. I definitely have been in situations where I want to read and my kindle battery is low and I have to charge it first. Also (and I'm pretty sure this depends on the device) ebooks are often harder to read in bright sunny environments. 

#60 jonis

jonis
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

Real books any day of the week! Turning pages, the feel of it and the fact that it's much more relaxing to sit with a book than a phone/pad.

The only time I favour ebooks is during travels. It's just such a hassle to bring books when you have your phone in your pocket.

#61 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

I think people overuse the "you can carry 1000 books with you!" argument. When would you ever need to have 1000 books with you? You're not going to read them all. ebooks have their purpose, which is academia, although I still prefer to rent an actual textbook than use the ebook, because I don't want to read a lot on the computer or my kindle. 

#62 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

I think people overuse the "you can carry 1000 books with you!" argument. When would you ever need to have 1000 books with you? You're not going to read them all. ebooks have their purpose, which is academia, although I still prefer to rent an actual textbook than use the ebook, because I don't want to read a lot on the computer or my kindle. 

I wouldn't ever *need* to have a 1000 books with me, but I don't always feel like reading whatever book I'm carrying around with me. Having a hundred or whatever books with my on my phone makes it so I can read something that interests me right that second or I can choose a length for the amount of time I'm waiting and cross one off the list.

#63 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

I don't have a 1000 books going at a time, but it has come in handy to have different kinds of books at my disposal while traveling and whatnot. For example, I primarily like reading crime/mystery type books but of course my little 5 year old nephew doesn't. A few weeks ago on a trip, I was able to quickly download a collection of short stories to read to him to keep him occupied. Now is this a normal everyday situation, not for me. But I can see some moms or dads out there appreciating that for their children. That was just an example of a time having a kindle was convenient in my life, I'm sure others have their own examples as well. 

Of course the feel and smell of a real book can't be beat, but you have to admit, the convenience of an e-book is something to be noted. 

#64 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Of course the feel and smell of a real book can't be beat

Getting a folding leather cover solves this problem entirely. Mine even has a pop-out reading light.

#65 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Haha god if only I had a cat, my life would be complete. And don't be silly, I don't wear a scarf in front of the fire. I lay naked on my lambskin rug.

I have a Kindle. I love it because I can download books for free in pdf form and if I hate what I read, I can just delete it out my life forever. And if I love it, I can go and buy a physical copy and rub it all over my naked body whilst laying on a lambskin rug listening to Queen II on vinyl while my cat wears a scarf and drinks wine and my house catches on fire.

I think I'm doing it right.

#66 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Absolutely spot on. You know how to live, my friend.

#67 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Both have their pros and cons. Paper books just take up too much space IMO.

#68 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I do like physical book collections. It's not the same having a harddrive full of ebooks.

I prefer physical books but I don't actually have an eReader :3

I don't read very much. Or ever.

#69 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

I do prefer physical books myself, but because I can't afford a spacious place to live and because I move so much, having a collection is difficult to keep track of and transport, so I do thank my Kindle for letting me keep a small library at arm's reach.

eBooks may take over in the somewhat distant future, but I can't see them being the only option available.

#70 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

I do like physical book collections. It's not the same having a harddrive full of ebooks.

I prefer physical books but I don't actually have an eReader :3

I don't read very much. Or ever.

Hahahah this post was even stupider than mine, @Boggart. What the fuck are you even trying to say?

#71 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hahahah this post was even stupider than mine, @Boggart. What the fuck are you even trying to say?

He just likes looking at books and not reading them, is what I got out of it. Maybe it makes him feel smart.

#72 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm gonna make a bridge here to games. I don't really read a lot of books anymore to be honest, but when I did I preferred tangible books. I'm pretty sure it's only because I'm used to it though. Have a couple of digital books (academic) on my laptop, but I dunno; I really dislike reading books from a screen.

As for the bridge to games: I have a lot of downloaded games (Steam), and yet I still hunt markets and thrift shops to buy games in the original packaging. I like having a bookcase full of, well in my case, games. My SO has his bookcase full of Architectural books. I guess it's a kind of a (cocky) display of your knowledge, really.

TL;DR: tangible books fo sho.

#73 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

I really dislike reading books from a screen.

That's because backlit screens are uncomfortable to spend a lot of time doing static reading from.
ePaper is a much, much better way to read eBooks. It's really quite incredible.

#74 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Ebooks for stuff I don't really care about, will read once, pulpy holiday rubbish etc.

Real books for the things I love.

#75 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

That's because backlit screens are uncomfortable to spend a lot of time doing static reading from.
ePaper is a much, much better way to read eBooks. It's really quite incredible.

That would explain why I feel like gouging my eyes out whenever I have to read anything of length for any substantial amount of time on my computer or tablet and why I love my kindle so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, ereaders, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users