Quantcast

Photo

Do you support gay marriage??

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support gay marriage (276 member(s) have cast votes)

do you support gay marriage?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Barcodite

Barcodite
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

It's possible to have people to born with a tendency to steal, but if stealing is agreed by common standard that it is wrong, people would have react to it and ensure that they either control this tendency or find ways to remove this tendency, that's where the nurture part comes in. Similarly, it is possible to be born with a tendency to be homosexual, but it does not mean that this tendency will eventually lead to homosexual action. It really depends on the nurturing stage as well. By nurturing stage, it does not necessary mean that it should be forceful. Most of the time, it is the gradual change that actually helped most people. More often than not, we often see people commenting that they need to release their innate desire to be truly happy while controlling or stifling their innate desire will result in unhappiness. But when you apply this to the desire to steal, is it really the case? Sometimes, such desires can be substituted with more meaning purposes.

Stealing and being gay are completely different things. If you can't see the difference between loving someone who happens to be the same sex as you and theft, then I honestly don't think I have any arguments that you could understand.

yeah, but changing this would change the age old meaning of marriage. I dont like the idea of changing that.

Do you also think we should be living with all of the standards and laws of the Middle Ages? Or were those completely fine to change?

#77 RuthChew

RuthChew
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

If I don't support something I generally neutral on it unless it has to do with harming other human beings.

#78 mintpro

mintpro
  • 597 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

yeah, but changing this would change the age old meaning of marriage. I dont like the idea of changing that.

As long as marriage is defined in law / a legal contract, I support same sex marriage. The church / religion doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm fine that churchs don't let gays into their age old ceremonies, but in the face of law every human should be treated equal.

#79 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yea , Grandmaster says being gay is something you choose. or your mom gave you too many hugs when you were a baby so you turned gay(nurture? that's dumb).... this isn't the case. people are born this way , get over it. Maybe you think this about gay people, becuz your really gay... and just cuz you hide it away everyone else should.

zandra, on 04 Jul 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:snapback.png

Well my dear, 300 years ago everyone went to church.. the fear of gods wraith was in the back of everybody's mind. 300 years later, millions, maybe billions of people no longer even give a shit about god, or even go to a church. if that much has changed... why cant the idea of marriage change?

Edited by tom12, 04 July 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#80 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

"Cure for homosexuality" a myth, can you find supporting evidence for this? Even counselling have worked for some people. But the main problem is that people are not even actively finding cure for homosexuality, they reject the idea of any possible cure for something they don't think is an illness but another way of life or desire. Just think about the method I discussed earlier, adjustment to genes and hormones is possible to achieve if there are serious research into this field. If we have so quickly dismiss any possible cure for any kind of symptom, a lot of illness would have been uncurable.

"a willing surrogate and a turkey baster" is an worse option than IVF and other technology. Initially, people talked about gay marriage, it is still confined within two persons. Now, you are bring the third party into the picture, which in itself is controversial, even for heterosexual couple.

Go to the library and educate yourself I'm not going to be your teacher unless you pay me. There's numerous texts by the American Psychiatric Association on homosexuality. Yes people are trying to find a "cure" for homosexuality and they are wrong. Exodus International was a group that actively tried to cure homosexuality for years and they just closed their doors and apologized for their actions last month because they realized that they were wrong. Women have been using the turkey baster method for a long time. You don't like it? Deal with it. People's personal sex lives don't concern you.

We already changed the old meaning of marriage when we banned polygamy, mandated that your wife is not your property and the courts allowed interracial marriage. That ship has sailed.

Edited by Mishelle, 04 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#81 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Since there are more substantiated reasonings going on, rather than all those one-liner, I think it is good that we do a more systematic discussion with the issue at hand.

First, let's start with the definitions, that's where everyone's expectation is different and arguments are getting confused. As we are still in the debate for gay marriage, it is not the same as dealing with the entire topic of homosexuality.

Firstly, I do acknowledge that there is a natural tendency for most people, whether it is attraction towards same sex, higher sex drive or even stealing. That itself is not much in contention and we should accept people as they are. It may be too early at this stage to conclude that any person will become homosexual, having multiple sex partners or thief.

Then the next stage will be when the person starts to exhibit homosexual actions, regular sex with multiple sex partners or stealing frequently. Then it may be possible to conclude that that person is homosexual, having multiple sex partners or thief. This is the key stage that concerns gay marriage. However, from the first stage to this second stage, a lot of people assume that it is a direct transition and first stage will definitely lead to second stage. But this is usually not the case as it neglects the nurture effect in the transition between two stages.

There are 3 possibilities in the transition:

1. People are allowed to develop freely their natural tendency without much intervention, then most likely stage 1 will lead to stage 2.

2. People are encouraged to exhibit actions related to their natural tendency by the nurturing environment, then most likely stage 1 will lead to stage 2.

3. People are encouraged to control their natural tendency by nurturing environment, then most likely stage 1 will not lead to stage 2.

The first possibility usually do not happen unless the person is living in the wilderness with no one to associate with. So the other two possibilities are actually depending on nurturing environment. The nurturing environment can include parental care, peer influence, education system and community influence.

Feel free to comment on these definition and scope of discussion first before we dive deeper into the discussion.

#82 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Since there are more substantiated reasonings going on, rather than all those one-liner, I think it is good that we do a more systematic discussion with the issue at hand.

First, let's start with the definitions, that's where everyone's expectation is different and arguments are getting confused. As we are still in the debate for gay marriage, it is not the same as dealing with the entire topic of homosexuality.

Firstly, I do acknowledge that there is a natural tendency for most people, whether it is attraction towards same sex, higher sex drive or even stealing. That itself is not much in contention and we should accept people as they are. It may be too early at this stage to conclude that any person will become homosexual, having multiple sex partners or thief.

Then the next stage will be when the person starts to exhibit homosexual actions, regular sex with multiple sex partners or stealing frequently. Then it may be possible to conclude that that person is homosexual, having multiple sex partners or thief. This is the key stage that concerns gay marriage. However, from the first stage to this second stage, a lot of people assume that it is a direct transition and first stage will definitely lead to second stage. But this is usually not the case as it neglects the nurture effect in the transition between two stages.

There are 3 possibilities in the transition:

1. People are allowed to develop freely their natural tendency without much intervention, then most likely stage 1 will lead to stage 2.

2. People are encouraged to exhibit actions related to their natural tendency by the nurturing environment, then most likely stage 1 will lead to stage 2.

3. People are encouraged to control their natural tendency by nurturing environment, then most likely stage 1 will not lead to stage 2.

The first possibility usually do not happen unless the person is living in the wilderness with no one to associate with. So the other two possibilities are actually depending on nurturing environment. The nurturing environment can include parental care, peer influence, education system and community influence.

Feel free to comment on these definition and scope of discussion first before we dive deeper into the discussion.

Not sure why you found this post necessary. You aren't making an argument here. The 'one-liners' you've dismissed are valid in that they challenge your (still unsubstantiated) key assertion that gay marriage is inherently inferior to hetero marriage.

#83 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

I think the issue is you have this tin foil hat idea that homosexuals are going to rule the world just because they don't have to face social stigma anymore.

If it is just about not discriminating against gays (the person itself, not homosexual actions), then I don't see any problems. But once gays rights to marriage is accorded internationally, then there's going to be further effects and gays rights movement is not going to stop there. Rights to have children (through whatever method we have discussed earlier), rights to all kinds of things (the most disturbing one will be the use of public toilet, imagine your daughter is in a female toilet, then a guy walked in (a gay in the role of female) to do his business). By then, even if you may dislike these effects, you may no longer be able to argue against it since it may be well accepted by then that gays should have all the equal rights with anyone in the world. 

Stealing and being gay are completely different things. If you can't see the difference between loving someone who happens to be the same sex as you and theft, then I honestly don't think I have any arguments that you could understand.

Stealing, higher sex drive, being attracted to same-sex all have natural inclinations. It is only the final action that is deemed to be acceptable by the society or not that determines whether they are fair comparison. But seeing that we are in a cheating forum (which is quite close to stealing in some sense), I don't see why stealing is necessary less acceptable than gays. (Although stealing is still a criminal offence, homosexual actions are still criminal offence in some parts of the world as well).

Yea , Grandmaster says being gay is something you choose. or your mom gave you too many hugs when you were a baby so you turned gay(nurture? that's dumb).... this isn't the case. people are born this way , get over it. Maybe you think this about gay people, becuz your really gay... and just cuz you hide it away everyone else should.

Stage 1 argument. Natural inclination does not necessarily mean it will develop into homosexual actions without proper nurture environment.

Go to the library and educate yourself I'm not going to be your teacher unless you pay me. There's numerous texts by the American Psychiatric Association on homosexuality. Yes people are trying to find a "cure" for homosexuality and they are wrong. Exodus International was a group that actively tried to cure homosexuality for years and they just closed their doors and apologized for their actions last month because they realized that they were wrong. Women have been using the turkey baster method for a long time. You don't like it? Deal with it. People's personal sex lives don't concern you.

It's easy to get repulsive at the word "illness" but no one can deny that being gay is some variation from a normal human being. Whether to correct this variation or not forms part of this debate. APA's general definition of homosexuality usually associates with stage 1 that I mentioned about natural inclination or tendency, and hence there's no need for discrimination against the people who have such behaviour. With regards to actual homosexual actions or gay marriage, APA did not give a stand and it also agrees that nurture plays a role in shaping one's sex orientation besides innate nature. Anyway, do post the links for APA here. Sometimes, there may be selective reading of articles or different intepretations on the same article.

For Exdous International, I'm still seeing their website running and could not find news about it closing down. Anyway, it is just one of the therapy methods out there. But as I mentioned before, therapy is just one of the solutions people have proposed and it did work for a number of people, especially those who are willing to cooperate and desired to be hetero to inhibit their natural inclination. There are other possibilities out there but if any gay just start to assert that this is an alternative way of life and don't feel the desire to be hetero, then no matter how good the solution is, it will not help.

Not sure why you found this post necessary. You aren't making an argument here. The 'one-liners' you've dismissed are valid in that they challenge your (still unsubstantiated) key assertion that gay marriage is inherently inferior to hetero marriage.

It is important to define scope and clarify the definitions at the start of any debate.

If you take a look at some of the arguments, it deals with stage 1 concerns, which is not the topic of discussion for gay marriage. Some others are discussing the transition between stage 1 and stage 2, whether we should allow some of the inherent inclinations to develop or inhibit such development. This may still be of some relevance to the topic. But all my arguments so far have all been mostly concentrated on stage 2. 

One-liners are usually convenient ways to just question whatever you have stated, instead of giving more elaborated arguments why whatever you have stated is not true. Some are just giving the attitude that "I support gay marriage and all reasonings that oppose it are rubbish. Leave gays alone!". I'm fine with that attitude in most circumstances but not on a debate topic. The reason for a debate is that the topic itself is controversial so there is bound to be disagreements and people should be willing to discuss both sides of argument. If you just want to give the attitude that you are not going to even think about opposing view, then it is pointless to post in a debate topic.

My stand is that I don't support gay marriage, not because it is inferior to hetero marriage, but questioning whether its existence is benefical or harmful to the human race.

The key argument that I took on so far is about how gay marriage or homosexual action may eventually lead to human reproduction problems or even extinction of human race (if it really goes too far into robot). Gay marriage is another step forward for gay activists that being gay is an alternative way of life. Once that message was formally recognised by the entire human race, it then becomes a choice of life that every human has to decide at one point of time whether they want to lead a hetero life or gay life. The nurture environment will also develop into one that encourages both type of hetero life and gay life equally. Then whether you have natural inclination or tendency to be attracted to same sex is no longer relevant.

If you look at the demographics of gays, it usually stays within 1-3% of total population range, but if you start to break down into countries or cities, you would realise that in some areas, gays could constitute more than 10%  of the country or city's population, suggesting that there is an increasing trend of concentration of gays in certain areas (could be migration or people influencing one another). Source: http://en.wikipedia....ual_orientation

#84 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

My stand is that I don't support gay marriage, not because it is inferior to hetero marriage, but questioning whether its existence is benefical or harmful to the human race.

The key argument that I took on so far is about how gay marriage or homosexual action may eventually lead to human reproduction problems or even extinction of human race (if it really goes too far into robot). Gay marriage is another step forward for gay activists that being gay is an alternative way of life. Once that message was formally recognised by the entire human race, it then becomes a choice of life that every human has to decide at one point of time whether they want to lead a hetero life or gay life. The nurture environment will also develop into one that encourages both type of hetero life and gay life equally. Then whether you have natural inclination or tendency to be attracted to same sex is no longer relevant.

If you look at the demographics of gays, it usually stays within 1-3% of total population range, but if you start to break down into countries or cities, you would realise that in some areas, gays could constitute more than 10%  of the country or city's population, suggesting that there is an increasing trend of concentration of gays in certain areas (could be migration or people influencing one another). Source: http://en.wikipedia....ual_orientation

When did you decide to be straight, Grandmaster?

#85 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

If it is just about not discriminating against gays (the person itself, not homosexual actions), then I don't see any problems. But once gays rights to marriage is accorded internationally, then there's going to be further effects and gays rights movement is not going to stop there. Rights to have children (through whatever method we have discussed earlier), rights to all kinds of things (the most disturbing one will be the use of public toilet, imagine your daughter is in a female toilet, then a guy walked in (a gay in the role of female) to do his business). By then, even if you may dislike these effects, you may no longer be able to argue against it since it may be well accepted by then that gays should have all the equal rights with anyone in the world. 

Stealing, higher sex drive, being attracted to same-sex all have natural inclinations. It is only the final action that is deemed to be acceptable by the society or not that determines whether they are fair comparison. But seeing that we are in a cheating forum (which is quite close to stealing in some sense), I don't see why stealing is necessary less acceptable than gays. (Although stealing is still a criminal offence, homosexual actions are still criminal offence in some parts of the world as well).

Stage 1 argument. Natural inclination does not necessarily mean it will develop into homosexual actions without proper nurture environment.

It's easy to get repulsive at the word "illness" but no one can deny that being gay is some variation from a normal human being. Whether to correct this variation or not forms part of this debate. APA's general definition of homosexuality usually associates with stage 1 that I mentioned about natural inclination or tendency, and hence there's no need for discrimination against the people who have such behaviour. With regards to actual homosexual actions or gay marriage, APA did not give a stand and it also agrees that nurture plays a role in shaping one's sex orientation besides innate nature. Anyway, do post the links for APA here. Sometimes, there may be selective reading of articles or different intepretations on the same article.

For Exdous International, I'm still seeing their website running and could not find news about it closing down. Anyway, it is just one of the therapy methods out there. But as I mentioned before, therapy is just one of the solutions people have proposed and it did work for a number of people, especially those who are willing to cooperate and desired to be hetero to inhibit their natural inclination. There are other possibilities out there but if any gay just start to assert that this is an alternative way of life and don't feel the desire to be hetero, then no matter how good the solution is, it will not help.

It is important to define scope and clarify the definitions at the start of any debate.

If you take a look at some of the arguments, it deals with stage 1 concerns, which is not the topic of discussion for gay marriage. Some others are discussing the transition between stage 1 and stage 2, whether we should allow some of the inherent inclinations to develop or inhibit such development. This may still be of some relevance to the topic. But all my arguments so far have all been mostly concentrated on stage 2. 

One-liners are usually convenient ways to just question whatever you have stated, instead of giving more elaborated arguments why whatever you have stated is not true. Some are just giving the attitude that "I support gay marriage and all reasonings that oppose it are rubbish. Leave gays alone!". I'm fine with that attitude in most circumstances but not on a debate topic. The reason for a debate is that the topic itself is controversial so there is bound to be disagreements and people should be willing to discuss both sides of argument. If you just want to give the attitude that you are not going to even think about opposing view, then it is pointless to post in a debate topic.

your arguments cease to make ANY sense.......and make you look like a bigot. I hope to GOD you don't reproduce.

#86 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Spoiler

Can you please learn how sexuality works. Like I said before, gay marriage getting legalised isn't going to make literally every straight person ever turn around and say "oh haha looks like I'm gay sorry everyone!" and that's it. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. Is everyone in Canada a homosexual now? No. What about civil partnerships? Are people gay from that allowing gay couples to be together? No. Are people not breeding because there just so happens to be gay couples out there? Not at all. It's like saying that if paedophilia was made legal then everyone would start sexing up children and literally no one else ever. Including people who were previously disgusted with kids/child-like bodies and were attracted to the complete opposite (e.g. muscular, tall men or women with fully developed breasts and pubic hair and all). If bestiality was made legal then that wouldn't make everyone sexually attracted to animals, necrophilia wouldn't make everyone attracted to dead people... can you see where I'm going with this? People won't start questioning their sexuality just from gay marriage getting legalised. People won't stop breeding just because of it. Also, isn't overpopulation a problem which is just going to get worse no matter what happens? Why are you so worried about humans going extinct? Women everywhere are still getting pregnant (be it planned or being forced to keep the kid), people are still have like 5+ kids. Gay people getting married isn't going to completely stop this at all.

If you're going to continue saying that homosexuality is an illness please refer to hetero/bi/pan/etc-sexuality or pretty much anything that involves sex or love as illnesses that can be "treated" too. Being attracted to people, whether their gender is the same or different than yours or they identify as both/neither/something else, is completely natural and being something other than heterosexual isn't abnormal at all.

Also can I ask why you brought up that restroom thing? That's... not how gender works. If you identify as a man (biological/ftm/whatever) then obviously you're going to use the men's (or unisex) bathroom no matter what your relationship status is. It DOES NOT affect your gender in any way. You don't actually start identifying as a female just from being the bottom in a relationship :V

Edited by Turnip, 05 July 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#87 Barcodite

Barcodite
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

If it is just about not discriminating against gays (the person itself, not homosexual actions), then I don't see any problems. But once gays rights to marriage is accorded internationally, then there's going to be further effects and gays rights movement is not going to stop there. Rights to have children (through whatever method we have discussed earlier), rights to all kinds of things (the most disturbing one will be the use of public toilet, imagine your daughter is in a female toilet, then a guy walked in (a gay in the role of female) to do his business)

I couldn't even get through the rest of your post, because with this statement, you have discredited in my eyes everything else you may say. Being gay is not the same as being transsexual. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with a female using a female toilet, regardless of their sex. You should educate yourself on the differences between being gay and transsexual, and while you're at it, look up the definition of transphobia. 

it may be well accepted by then that gays should have all the equal rights with anyone in the world. 

I cannot believe you're talking about humans having equal rights like it's a bad thing.

Edited by Barcodite, 05 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#88 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm just going to directly respond to what you addressed to me.

Okay.

If you're arguing that it's harmful to the human race, and that hetero marriage is beneficial to the human race, you're arguing that gay marriage is inferior.  But whatever.

You're still failing to make a coherent argument. The scientific consensus is that sexual orientation is not a choice. You're claiming that an environment accepting of all sexual orientations will nurture people into becoming gay? Look at it from the opposite perspective--as it is now, most children are raised in environments that overwhelmingly encourage them to be straight. So why is homosexuality prevalent? Because their 'natural inclinations' are a far more important factor in an individuals sexuality than the environment in which they were raised.

Cities tend to be more diverse environments, leading to earlier and greater acceptance of gays than rural areas. Gay people choose to move to cities to be in an environment in which they will face less discrimination. The Gay isn't a virulent plague that's infecting the people of San Fransisco-- people who already identify as gay choose to move there.

Even if everything you argued was true (it isn't), why is that such a bad thing? The world faces severe overpopulation as it is, and having fewer people reproduce certainly wouldn't hurt.

I don't see why stealing is necessary less acceptable than gays.

Okay I lied about only responding to what you addressed to me. Is this a rhetorical question or something? Or do you seriously fail to see that only one of these things directly infringes on others' rights?

#89 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

When did you decide to be straight, Grandmaster?

This is an irrelevant question, until gay marriage has been officially been legalised globally and the scenario I have described happened.

your arguments cease to make ANY sense.......and make you look like a bigot. I hope to GOD you don't reproduce.

Personal attack, doesn't serve the purpose of debate. It's up to your judgement whether it makes sense. Please post more pro-gay marriage arguments or substantiated arguments to argue against my points instead.

Can you please learn how sexuality works. Like I said before, gay marriage getting legalised isn't going to make literally every straight person ever turn around and say "oh haha looks like I'm gay sorry everyone!" and that's it. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. Is everyone in Canada a homosexual now? No. What about civil partnerships? Are people gay from that allowing gay couples to be together? No. Are people not breeding because there just so happens to be gay couples out there? Not at all. It's like saying that if paedophilia was made legal then everyone would start sexing up children and literally no one else ever. Including people who were previously disgusted with kids/child-like bodies and were attracted to the complete opposite (e.g. muscular, tall men or women with fully developed breasts and pubic hair and all). If bestiality was made legal then that wouldn't make everyone sexually attracted to animals, necrophilia wouldn't make everyone attracted to dead people... can you see where I'm going with this? People won't start questioning their sexuality just from gay marriage getting legalised. People won't stop breeding just because of it. Also, isn't overpopulation a problem which is just going to get worse no matter what happens? Why are you so worried about humans going extinct? Women everywhere are still getting pregnant (be it planned or being forced to keep the kid), people are still have like 5+ kids. Gay people getting married isn't going to completely stop this at all.

If you're going to continue saying that homosexuality is an illness please refer to hetero/bi/pan/etc-sexuality or pretty much anything that involves sex or love as illnesses that can be "treated" too. Being attracted to people, whether their gender is the same or different than yours or they identify as both/neither/something else, is completely natural and being something other than heterosexual isn't abnormal at all.

Also can I ask why you brought up that restroom thing? That's... not how gender works. If you identify as a man (biological/ftm/whatever) then obviously you're going to use the men's (or unisex) bathroom no matter what your relationship status is. It DOES NOT affect your gender in any way. You don't actually start identifying as a female just from being the bottom in a relationship :V

Now, there's two arguments hidden in your first two paragraphs, one is stage 1 argument which is about natural inclinations for attraction to same sex, which is undisputable. The other one is homosexual acts, stage 2 argument. Homosexual acts consider normal? It has made sex organs lose their functionalities. The human race started with "sex for reproduction" to "sex for reproduction and pleasure" to "sex for reproduction and with more emphasis on pleasure" and to now "sex for pure pleasure". Last phase "sex for pure pleasure" is also going to impact more hetero couples as well eventually if homsexual acts are considered prefectly socially acceptable.

The restroom thing reflects some deeper issue about equality, it will probably be one of the issues that gays would ultimately fight for. If gays were recognised for marriage globally, there is most likely one playing the role of male (husband) and the other playing the role of female (wife). So why should they be discriminated for the role that they serve? If in a hetero relationship, the husband goes to Gents and the wife goes to Ladies. Why it should not be the case for homosexual couple? If you add the children into the picture, it will seem even more likely. Who's going to take care of homosexual's daughter in the restroom when they are still kids when both of the homosexuals are in Gents? In hetero relationship, the husband usually takes care of the son and the wife usually takes care of the daughter in restroom.

I couldn't even get through the rest of your post, because with this statement, you have discredited in my eyes everything else you may say. Being gay is not the same as being transsexual. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with a female using a female toilet, regardless of their sex. You should educate yourself on the differences between being gay and transsexual, and while you're at it, look up the definition of transphobia. 

I cannot believe you're talking about humans having equal rights like it's a bad thing.

I will read up on trans-sexual more. But at the point of writing that post, my idea of trans-sexual is someone changed their gender through surgery so they could look perfectly like a woman or man on the outside and inside so would not cause much shock to the kids. (Unless it is referring tp trans-sexual that did not undergo any surgery, but only changed their looks, still maintaining their sex organ as their original gender).

Anyway, below is about why the restroom is more of an issue for gays.

The restroom thing reflects some deeper issue about equality, it will probably be one of the issues that gays would ultimately fight for. If gays were recognised for marriage globally, there is most likely one playing the role of male (husband) and the other playing the role of female (wife). So why should they be discriminated for the role that they serve? If in a hetero relationship, the husband goes to Gents and the wife goes to Ladies. Why it should not be the case for homosexual couple? If you add the children into the picture, it will seem even more likely. Who's going to take care of homosexual's daughter in the restroom when they are still kids when both of the homosexuals are in Gents? In hetero relationship, the husband usually takes care of the son and the wife usually takes care of the daughter in restroom.

If you apply a blanket set of equal rights to everyone, then there would be a lot of issues. Even now, Human Rights movement only identify certain basic rights to apply to all. Rights to one group of people may infringe the rights of the other group. Think about cannibalism tribes, should you accord them with the rights for them to eat humans since that's their way of life and culture?  Now to homosexual couple, if we accord all the heterosexual couple rights to them, would it just be affecting homosexual couples only? There's most likely going to be effects on the heterosexual couples as well. Concerns about the nurture environment will also be in the rise. If in one place, the majority of people were gays and straight were to become minority, how easy it is to remain as straight or not follow the majority of people? Peer pressure can be a significant power of influence especially during young age and teenage years. It is usually during this stage that young people start to question their gender identity and many often were confused (That's usually the point where nurture environment becomes more important, eg straight turn homosexual, homosexual natural inclination turn straight).

You're still failing to make a coherent argument. The scientific consensus is that sexual orientation is not a choice. You're claiming that an environment accepting of all sexual orientations will nurture people into becoming gay? Look at it from the opposite perspective--as it is now, most children are raised in environments that overwhelmingly encourage them to be straight. So why is homosexuality prevalent? Because their 'natural inclinations' are a far more important factor in an individuals sexuality than the environment in which they were raised.

Cities tend to be more diverse environments, leading to earlier and greater acceptance of gays than rural areas. Gay people choose to move to cities to be in an environment in which they will face less discrimination. The Gay isn't a virulent plague that's infecting the people of San Fransisco-- people who already identify as gay choose to move there.

Even if everything you argued was true (it isn't), why is that such a bad thing? The world faces severe overpopulation as it is, and having fewer people reproduce certainly wouldn't hurt.

Okay I lied about only responding to what you addressed to me. Is this a rhetorical question or something? Or do you seriously fail to see that only one of these things directly infringes on others' rights?

Let's separate out the two cases, one is natural inclination, one is the homosexual acts itself. Natural inclination itself is again undisputable. But homosexual act is not a prevalent issue in the past (two decades ago or longer time ago). From just being attracted to same sex to wanting to have sex with same sex and live together as couple, it is not an obvious or direct step. Even in hetero relationship, being attracted to same sex does not mean that they will end up with marriage life, there are people who still remain celibracy. It is only when people have started to perform homosexual acts openly and declare their homosexual acts openly, then the number of homosexuals engaging in homosexual acts increases quite significantly over the past two decades. Since I mentioned about celibracy, I will also clarify the difference why celibracy is socially acceptable globally but homosexual acts are not. Celibracy itself is the devoid of sexual desires either due to circumstances (couldn't find the right partner to marry) or for more noble causes (become more selfless or put in more time to help people who are in need, eg Mother Theresa). For the former, it is a victim of circumstance. For the latter, it is beneficial to the human race. But homosexual acts is a twisted form of sexual desire, a sexual desire not intended for reproduction at all, but purely for pleasure. This could impact on heterosexual couples and nurture environment in a negative way.

For the concentration of gays in one area, I have already stated that it could be migration or people influencing one another. But ultimately it is still likely to impact the nurture environment unless the gays decided to all shift to a few places. Then only those places would have 100% gays and the rest of the place would have 0% gays. If the percentage of gays are increased across all areas and making the percentage of gays in certain areas to become 20% or more, then it is obvious that the influence is there. But by then, there is nothing much we can do and probably nothing much will be done since gays with that sheer number will continue to fight for their rights.

At this point, the world is facing overpopulation, but the world is also facing aging population due to baby boomers. When baby boomer generation is gone and the increasing urbanisation making most hetero couples going for only 1 child, there will already been severe reduction in human population in the upcoming decades. Not to mention, the other natural disasters are also getting more damaging and frequent due to global warming and its related effects.

The whole point of arguing against gay marriage is that it also infringes on the rights of others, whether directly or indirectly. If it is only affecting gay couples, then pretty much there is no debate. The changing of values (with regards to reproduction and gender identity confusion) and nurture environment will see an increasing impact on human race as gays successfully pushed for the gay marriage rights across the globe and moving into even more rights.

Edited by Grandmaster, 05 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#90 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Successful troll is successful.

#91 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

...........? LOL??? GAY = MEN = LIKING MEN.... one doesn't act like a woman that is the most stereotypical thing I have ever heard... that's like saying ALL black people LOVE fried chicken.... OR all ITALIANS eat spaghetti and meatballs... Transsexual is a totally different thing, that's a woman trapped in a mans body or man trapped in a female body TOTALLY different. 

I've seen plenty of straight men take their daughters into the male bathroom... why should this be different with gay men?!?!? you are crazy

AND YET AGIAN!! what does this have to do with gay marriage??

Edited by tom12, 05 July 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#92 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

If gays were recognised for marriage globally, there is most likely one playing the role of male (husband) and the other playing the role of female (wife). 

That is a stereotype that people like you continue to perpetuate. 
Gender roles are archaic social constructions that should not apply to any relationship. Hetero or Homo.

Edited by Ivysaur, 05 July 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#93 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Let's separate out the two cases, one is natural inclination, one is the homosexual acts itself. Natural inclination itself is again undisputable. But homosexual act is not a prevalent issue in the past (two decades ago or longer time ago). From just being attracted to same sex to wanting to have sex with same sex and live together as couple, it is not an obvious or direct step. Even in hetero relationship, being attracted to same sex does not mean that they will end up with marriage life, there are people who still remain celibracy. It is only when people have started to perform homosexual acts openly and declare their homosexual acts openly, then the number of homosexuals engaging in homosexual acts increases quite significantly over the past two decades. Since I mentioned about celibracy, I will also clarify the difference why celibracy is socially acceptable globally but homosexual acts are not. Celibracy itself is the devoid of sexual desires either due to circumstances (couldn't find the right partner to marry) or for more noble causes (become more selfless or put in more time to help people who are in need, eg Mother Theresa). For the former, it is a victim of circumstance. For the latter, it is beneficial to the human race. But homosexual acts is a twisted form of sexual desire, a sexual desire not intended for reproduction at all, but purely for pleasure. This could impact on heterosexual couples and nurture environment in a negative way.

http://en.wikipedia....f_homosexuality People have always had gay sex, sorry. The increased awareness and acceptance of homosexuality has allowed gay communities to form, but hasn't changed the number of people that are gay. You still haven't refuted the fact that sexual orientation is not a choice, and that societies that accept homosexuality still have far more straight than gay people. And even if you do believe that non-procreational sex is immoral and 'twisted,' what gives you the right to cast moralistic judgment on massive groups of people whose behavior doesn't directly affect you or infringe on your rights in any way?

For the concentration of gays in one area, I have already stated that it could be migration or people influencing one another. But ultimately it is still likely to impact the nurture environment unless the gays decided to all shift to a few places. Then only those places would have 100% gays and the rest of the place would have 0% gays. If the percentage of gays are increased across all areas and making the percentage of gays in certain areas to become 20% or more, then it is obvious that the influence is there. But by then, there is nothing much we can do and probably nothing much will be done since gays with that sheer number will continue to fight for their rights.

Again, you're vastly overstating the influence of your so-called "nurture environment". People who are raised in communities completely void of gay people still turn out gay. It follows that children who have exposure to both heterosexuality and homosexuality will turn out to be the orientation that they are genetically predisposed to. Also...are you casually suggesting creating gay ghettos? Concentration camps?

The whole point of arguing against gay marriage is that it also infringes on the rights of others, whether directly or indirectly. If it is only affecting gay couples, then pretty much there is no debate. The changing of values (with regards to reproduction and gender identity confusion) and nurture environment will see an increasing impact on human race as gays successfully pushed for the gay marriage rights across the globe and moving into even more rights.

You can make this argument about literally anything. You could argue that black people shouldn't have the right to vote, that minority religions should be banned, that immigration should be ceased because it would change society and cause people to question their values. Treating everyone equally under the law and allowing gay couples to marry in no way affects the rights of anyone who doesn't want to get gay married.

#94 Seafire01

Seafire01
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

I don't care.  It won't affect me in any way, well it may affect taxes on couples later on, both gay and straight.  Discrimination is basic human nature by the way.  It'll never change and it will always be present.

Just keep the kissing and other affectionate actions out of the public, that goes for both lol.  Damn annoying when you walk around the corner and a couple is making out.

#95 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

No it's not easy to get repulsed at the word illness unless you're an idiot. Mental illness is a very real thing. I have mentally ill people within my family but homosexuality is not a mental illness nor is it a variation from being a normal human being and you have no evidence to back that up. Homosexuality has always been around, if you go back to the time of Aristotle, or even back in the Biblical times (even though the Bible is quite biased) homosexuality existed. Gay marriage wasn't legal then, and yet gay people still existed just as they do now. There are countries where gay people are killed for being gay, and yet they continue to exist in those countries. People tried to correct homosexuality for DECADES within the medical field before they realized that homosexuality is innate and there's nothing wrong with it. Still religious people try to correct homosexuality TODAY and they fail time and time again. Maybe if you took my advice and read a book, you'd understand better. And again, I want you to go do your own research then get back to me because at this point I know you're acting willfully ignorant.

#96 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

Maybe I do a short summary of the debates so far before continuing answering. Others can continue to build on this summary as the debate continues.

Proposition

- Happiness for gays to pursue their desire.

- Rights for gays.

- Ensures less casual sex with a committed marriage partner.

Opposition

- Cause reproduction issues. (Wider adoption of technology aided tools for reproduction, instead of sex for reproduction, may eventually lead to production of robots to substitute humans)

- Influence the nurture environment (parental care, peer pressure, community) to favouring more people who have inclinations of attraction towards same-sex to  engage in homosexual acts.

- Making homosexual acts an alternative way of life may make it more of choice, rather than a combination of natural inclinations and some choice, influencing others who may not have inclinations of attraction towards same-sex. (http://en.wikipedia....ual_orientation)

- Homosexual acts leads to health problems among homosexuals, especially higher percentage of STD. (http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm)

...........? LOL??? GAY = MEN = LIKING MEN.... one doesn't act like a woman that is the most stereotypical thing I have ever heard... that's like saying ALL black people LOVE fried chicken.... OR all ITALIANS eat spaghetti and meatballs... Transsexual is a totally different thing, that's a woman trapped in a mans body or man trapped in a female body TOTALLY different. 

I've seen plenty of straight men take their daughters into the male bathroom... why should this be different with gay men?!?!? you are crazy

AND YET AGIAN!! what does this have to do with gay marriage??

Gays are men attracted to men, lesbians are women attracted to women. But for simplicity, we just use gays as examples.

Usually, in a gay relationship, there is a guy playing the femine role and another guy playing the masculine role. I'm not sure if this is a sterotype or it is true for most of the cases. As far as the gay relationship that I have been exposed to, it's usually like that.

For straight men taking daughters into male bathroom, it really depends on the age of the daughter. Above certain age limit (I saw one is 3 years old), you cannot do that anymore. But for hetero couple, the wife can still take care of the daughters above that age. But it's going to remain a problem for gays.

Gay marriage itself comes under the broader category of gay rights. So this is an eventual manifestation of gay rights if the first step of gay marriage is granted. We have to think about the consequence of gay marriage in the longer term and not just short term.

That is a stereotype that people like you continue to perpetuate. 
Gender roles are archaic social constructions that should not apply to any relationship. Hetero or Homo.

Gender roles is another debate already. But as far as current situation goes and in terms of pragmatism, the gender roles that I have referred to are still applicable across most of the countries. The traditional way of thinking males have to work outside and females staying at home to take care of children is of course no longer applicable. But what I mentioned about here is just husband taking care of sons and wife taking care of daughters due to convenience in terms of gender. That's not really a lot about gender roles anyway.

http://en.wikipedia....f_homosexuality People have always had gay sex, sorry. The increased awareness and acceptance of homosexuality has allowed gay communities to form, but hasn't changed the number of people that are gay. You still haven't refuted the fact that sexual orientation is not a choice, and that societies that accept homosexuality still have far more straight than gay people. And even if you do believe that non-procreational sex is immoral and 'twisted,' what gives you the right to cast moralistic judgment on massive groups of people whose behavior doesn't directly affect you or infringe on your rights in any way?

Again, you're vastly overstating the influence of your so-called "nurture environment". People who are raised in communities completely void of gay people still turn out gay. It follows that children who have exposure to both heterosexuality and homosexuality will turn out to be the orientation that they are genetically predisposed to. Also...are you casually suggesting creating gay ghettos? Concentration camps?

You can make this argument about literally anything. You could argue that black people shouldn't have the right to vote, that minority religions should be banned, that immigration should be ceased because it would change society and cause people to question their values. Treating everyone equally under the law and allowing gay couples to marry in no way affects the rights of anyone who doesn't want to get gay married.

In the wiki page you mentioned, there are a number of terms being used: same-sex love, same-sex affection, homosexuality behaviour, same-sex sexual interactions, same-sex sexual life, same-sex relationship. So the descriptions suggest some level of difference in homosexuality behaviour and not all are referred to gay sex. Anyway, what I have mentioned is not about whether people have had gay sex. It is about the inclination of attraction towards same-sex does not necessary directly lead to same-sex sexual behaviour. The records suggested in the wiki page only highlights certain gay sex examples but the number of actual people who have inclination of attraction towards same-sex should be much higher (if percentage of gays population have not been changed from early days to today) but not that many were recorded could indicate a significant portion of these desires were controlled. But you would hardly see such situation in today's gay community, there is little attempt to control such desires and that's what I mentioned about the trend of increasing sexual acts between same-sex individuals.

I have stated that attraction towards same-sex is an inclination, rather than genetic causes. To completely attribute sexual orientation as natural and not a choice at all, it should be proven that this attribution is caused by the genes. One thing we can be sure of as of now that it is certainly not a hereditary genes. If that is the case and since homosexuals is unable to reproduce in the past, such genes will have been eliminated in the genes pool. Then the possible gene will likely to be similar feature as those that cause blindness, deaf or whatsoever in the infant. But there is still no study to prove the existence of such genes. So for now, it is still more acceptable to regard it as an inclination until such gene is found. For an inclination, it just means a higher percentage of action happening but there is still room for choices to be exercised. For stealing inclination, under a good nurture environment and if the child is willing to change, then such inclination could be stopped. Likewise, for homosexual inclination, there are records of people turning from homosexual to straight through therapy or counselling, showing that people can still have some choice over such inclinations. While many people have suggested how therapy or counselling is not working, it would be too hasty to disregard those successful cases totally. In those therapy or counselling, there is also some suggestion about people unwilling to cooperate and very repulsive towards such treatment and hence they have not worked for them. This again could suggest people have the choice to control their inclinations depending on their willingness to cooperate or desire to control those inclinations.

Looking at the breakdown of homosexuals, comparing the percentage of gays in countries that legalise gay marriage to those countries that prohibit gay marriage, there is already quite a significant percentage difference. Even if at this current stage, straight people still have much higher percentage, it does not guarantee for the future. If number of people with attraction towards same-sex has not changed through legalisation of gay marriage, it is showing that more people have openly declared that they are gays and sexual acts have certainly increased with little effort or attempt to control that inclination.

Anyway, the debate on whether to support or not support gay marriage focuses on the effects of such cause. If there is no effects of such gay marriage on others, then there will not be violent objections or even a controversial issue at this point of time. A lot of these effects are actually long term effects so its effects will not be manifested in the short term. But that does not mean that we should be ignoring these long term effects as once those effects are manifested, it will be too late and we cannot turn back the clock.

For the influence of nurture environment, it is not an overstatement to say that it has a significant influence on anyone since it includes parental care, peer pressure and community. Most people's belief system, character, aspirations, value system are shaped by this nurture environment. People who are raised in communities completely void of gay people may still turn out gay because of natural inclination and some form of choice. But the percentage of people who have inclinations of attraction towards same-sex engaging in gay sex would likely be lower than another community that openly encourage people to engage in gay sex if they have any inclinations of attraction towards same-sex.

I disapproves of any suggestion of gays concentration camps, in fact, I also disapproves discriminations against gays at workplace, schools, etc. I'm merely using that as an example of impact of nurture environment. However, discriminations against the person and the action is two totally different thing. For example, i would agree that a criminal should be given a second chance after they are released from jail and not be discriminated against, but that does not mean that I approve of his criminal behaviours before he was jailed.

An argument can be used to argue for a lot of other issues does not necessarily make itself a weak argument. But one argument alone is not enough to reach any reasonable conclusion. But there are obviously stronger arguments for the few issues you raised, that's why that argument did not determine the outcome of the conclusion. Changing society or questioning value for the better or for the worse is another question to ask in this type of argument and is often debated in itself. If the rights attributed to a group is inherently making things worse for the society, then it may be better to maintain status quo. The obvious case would be not attributing the right to kill humans to Cannibalism tribes and still maintain the law that murder is punishable by life sentence or death penalty.

No it's not easy to get repulsed at the word illness unless you're an idiot. Mental illness is a very real thing. I have mentally ill people within my family but homosexuality is not a mental illness nor is it a variation from being a normal human being and you have no evidence to back that up. Homosexuality has always been around, if you go back to the time of Aristotle, or even back in the Biblical times (even though the Bible is quite biased) homosexuality existed. Gay marriage wasn't legal then, and yet gay people still existed just as they do now. There are countries where gay people are killed for being gay, and yet they continue to exist in those countries. People tried to correct homosexuality for DECADES within the medical field before they realized that homosexuality is innate and there's nothing wrong with it. Still religious people try to correct homosexuality TODAY and they fail time and time again. Maybe if you took my advice and read a book, you'd understand better. And again, I want you to go do your own research then get back to me because at this point I know you're acting willfully ignorant.

I have stated that attraction towards same-sex is an inclination, rather than genetic causes. To completely attribute sexual orientation as natural and not a choice at all, it should be proven that this attribution is caused by the genes. One thing we can be sure of as of now that it is certainly not a hereditary genes. If that is the case and since homosexuals is unable to reproduce in the past, such genes will have been eliminated in the genes pool. Then the possible gene will likely to be similar feature as those that cause blindness, deaf or whatsoever in the infant. But there is still no study to prove the existence of such genes. So for now, it is still more acceptable to regard it as an inclination until such gene is found. For an inclination, it just means a higher percentage of action happening but there is still room for choices to be exercised. For stealing inclination, under a good nurture environment and if the child is willing to change, then such inclination could be stopped. Likewise, for homosexual inclination, there are records of people turning from homosexual to straight through therapy or counselling, showing that people can still have some choice over such inclinations. While many people have suggested how therapy or counselling is not working, it would be too hasty to disregard those successful cases totally. In those therapy or counselling, there is also some suggestion about people unwilling to cooperate and very repulsive towards such treatment and hence they have not worked for them. This again could suggest people have the choice to control their inclinations depending on their willingness to cooperate or desire to control those inclinations.

By the way, I think the correction for homosexuality that you mentioned are still restricted to therapy and counselling. If there is no medical breakthroughs and we are still confined with these two methods, then the success rate may be low. But it cannot be totall denied that such methods have worked for some. Anyway, I have mentioned about other possibilites such as injection of hormones. No such methods have been tested yet so it is too early to determine effectiveness of these methods. As with any other disease, years or decades of trying may still be futile but it does not mean that they should be stopped. For example, until now, we have not found a cure for cancer which has surfaced decades or centuries ago but scientist and doctors are still researching. It is with new technology and this kind of dedication that we have found cure for many of the diseases that is thought to be uncurable decades or centuries ago. But if we already rejected such idea, how is it possible for any advances? Some people are so repulsive towards ideas like injection of hormones when most of us have been taking vaccinations. There's scientific approach to test out these researches before it is implemented on humans such as testing on animals. Such approach is also adopted in the testing of new drugs on people. Before it is even used on most people, it would have been tested with a number of people who are willing to be tested.

#97 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

Lol, you lost me at the "gay marriage will cause robots to substitute humans" argument. Can't tell if trolling or for real.

#98 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

Opposition

- Cause reproduction issues. (Wider adoption of technology aided tools for reproduction, instead of sex for reproduction, may eventually lead to production of robots to substitute humans)

Gender roles is another debate already. But as far as current situation goes and in terms of pragmatism, the gender roles that I have referred to are still applicable across most of the countries. The traditional way of thinking males have to work outside and females staying at home to take care of children is of course no longer applicable. But what I mentioned about here is just husband taking care of sons and wife taking care of daughters due to convenience in terms of gender. That's not really a lot about gender roles anyway.

Please just stop posting. No one here is even taking you seriously anymore. It's just people trying to "cure" you of your misconceptions. ;)

And my comment was directed at tom's comment so..I really do not see what point you're trying to make there.

#99 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

Your long posts that im too lazy to read turned me gay

Edited by ToonLink, 07 July 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#100 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I can't do this any longer. I'm sick to my stomach, and everyone has seen what they needed to see at this point. Bye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users