Photo

HTC One or Galaxy S4

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AugustaGolf

AugustaGolf
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

So I've spent the last few weeks convincing myself to give Android a shot despite having no real issues with my iPhone 4s. I guess my attraction to iOS7 paired with the frustration of losing the majority of my jailbroken tweaks made me decide to experiment. Anyways, I've narrowed down my choices to HTC One and Galaxy S4 (apparently that's normal). Hoping someone here with Android experience could help me out; keep in mind I'm completely open to rooting.

I mostly want efficiency and speed on my phone:

• One button Evernote/Wunderlist launch.
  • Launch Spotify/Pandora from the lock screen.
  • I also am an avid blog reader so the ease of reading RSS feeds is big to me.
  • I operate an app outside for work so I'd need the best screen for in-the-sun use.
  • I love the idea of using an IR broadcaster as a universal remote.
  • Lastly, I do enjoy gaming here and there whether it be through console emulators or a mobile game.

I'm getting the vibe that tweaks are much easier on android devices so I assume I can set up some of those quick launch options via apps or rooting? Also, I love the reader built into the HTC One, but the kicker is that I'm on Verizon and it appears I'd have to wait for its release. Is a reader like that phone specific or is that a tweak I could install via rooting no matter the hardware I have? I'm itching to pick up a new phone, but I'm really on the fence of whether I should buy the S4 today or give the HTC One another month or so. Other than my preference in physical feel, is there any reason why it would benefit me to hold out for the HTC?

#2 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have the HTC ONE X and I gotta say, I really love my phone. I use it for Galaxy Legion on Facebook and App Gaming primarily though so I wouldn't know about the other features. I know that my Blogger App works great and so does Google+

#3 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hold out til you can test the HTC in store, then decide would be my option. Don't settle for a phone you're unsure on, you're stuck with it every day for a long time. 

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

S4 is the best

#5 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

They're on par with each other in terms of specifications so you can't go wrong with either one.

ps. HTC One has HTC Sense, best feature on HTC phones.  :wub:

#6 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

If you're not getting an iPhone then you have to make sure you're getting exactly what you want. Make sure you test out both phones thoroughly in the stores before deciding on one or another.

Personally, if I were to switch phones, I would probably end up getting the HTC One.

#7 darkmadness

darkmadness
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've had the Galaxy S3 for a year now and absolutely fell in love with Samsung after switching to it from iPhone. My S4 is on board with the driver today so if you want a review after I have played with it a bit I would be more than happy to give you one (:

#8 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

S4 is the best

This, hands down. The S4 has Smart Stay and some other gesture controls unique to TouchWiz that I find really useful. Most are gimmicky, but the few that I use often is bringing it up to call and swiping left/right to call or message. UI-wise I'd say the same. TouchWiz is a little more cartoony than Sense, but Sense is a lot more practical.

Anyways, one other thing to consider is that S4 runs 4.2 JB out of the box, versus the One X that runs 4.1 and needs to wait for Verizon (Slow pieces of shit) to update it.

Also, that IR blaster is very, VERY gimmicky from the standalone app that comes with it, but the blaster itself can be used for many things. If you know the frequency that your state has their lights set to, you can use it to change lights from red to green.

Edited by idontknow951, 27 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#9 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

S4 from Play store with stock Android

#10 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

You want the Best screen? Go with the HTC One. If you don't care about the best screen, take the S4. 

I have the HTC One and Literally, I am in love with its screen. Its fast, haven't had any lag or issues with it. So far I've been unable to find any scratches on the screen even after a few months of normal usage. (gotta get a protector put on from a professional, last idiot fucked it up xD)

I'll probably get an S4 1 day in the future because, I just like technology. But my first choice would be hands down the HTC One.

#11 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Actually, since you are switching mobile operating system, I'm not sure if you may want to consider Windows phone. Currently, most laptops and desktops come with Windows 8 operating system. So if you are using Windows phone, you can synchronise better with laptop or desktop as well.

I also found it easier with Android phone because I often used Google related services so I can easy transfer all the contacts, calenders, etc from one Android phone to another.

As for choosing between HTC and Galaxy S4, I think the specifications are quite similar and the functionality you wanted are there for both phones. However, usually the price of Galaxy series phone falls quite drastically after another new model is released. So if you want good trade-in price to upgrade your future mobile handset, you may want HTC.

#12 Turbo

Turbo
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

the S 4 i think is beautiful.

i'm still waiting and drooling over the rumors of the Moto X phone.

waiting for its dubeau to decide where i want to go with my next phone.

on the droid bionic  right now.

#13 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm having to make this decision too. I currently use the Galaxy S2 and find the screen a bit on the big side. I guess I shouldn't buy the S4 which is even bigger, right?

#14 Shizuku

Shizuku
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Galaxy S4 does have some overheating issues though. I own one myself and accidentally left the screen on for a few hours and ouch... It got really hot. I'd imagine it to be worse with gaming (for long hours).

I switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android phone as well. I'd say it's the best upgrade I've had so far. :)

#15 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Galaxy S4 does have some overheating issues though. I own one myself and accidentally left the screen on for a few hours and ouch... It got really hot. I'd imagine it to be worse with gaming (for long hours).

I switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android phone as well. I'd say it's the best upgrade I've had so far. :)

You can't just have the screen on for hours and expect it to stay at room temperature  ;)

#16 ic3doom

ic3doom
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

I'm having to make this decision too. I currently use the Galaxy S2 and find the screen a bit on the big side. I guess I shouldn't buy the S4 which is even bigger, right?

Way bigger. I have an S2 too and I'm reluctant to upgrade for now cause it probably won't fit in my pocket. They're no longer making average sized phones.

The current giant is the Sony Xperia Z Ultra if I'm not mistaken.

Spoiler

#17 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

I just got the HTC One today. Although smaller than the S4, it is still bigger than the S2 and I can no longer comfortably use it with one hand :(

#18 ic3doom

ic3doom
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

I just got the HTC One today. Although smaller than the S4, it is still bigger than the S2 and I can no longer comfortably use it with one hand :(

#bigphoneproblems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users