Photo

Politically correct vs Truth

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jhawk2207

jhawk2207
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

What stance do you take on this, so much politically correctness going on today it's like you can no longer speak the truth without being labeled. 

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Honesty, I perfer truth. No sugar coating something to be politically correct and make you feel better.Too bad, you don't get any candy, this is the real world. Your mother is not going to tell you it's going to be ok. Deal with it.

I feel those who scream about political correctness, are just using it to make their kids feel better. Disney got yelled at for having a healthy thing, and apparently it made the fat kids "feel bad" and they had to take it out. (You can't call our kids fat! It's not politically correct! They're big boned or something like that).Guess what, ladies, your kids are unhealthy Stop sugar coating everything for them! When they get to the real world, they're not going to know what to do when someone tells them the truth.

If I'm not near you, I'll say the truth. If I'm taking to you, I'll sugar coat it and lie to your face. In summary: Politcal correctness to me is like sugar coating everything.

Besides, I'm not a politician who has to make sure to be politically correct. I'm a regular person.

Edited by Satsuki, 29 June 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#3 Shapesnatch

Shapesnatch
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

You're saying political correctness and truth are two different things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being politically correct just expressing things in terms that are more socially acceptable? For instance, instead of calling someone 'black', you call them 'African-American'. The former is considered politically incorrect, while the second is politically correct. But just because they differ from each other in terms of political correctness doesn't mean they aren't both correct, put within their own contexts. For instance, I recently read a survey concerning what African-American people prefer to be referred to by people of other races. It was found that most do not care, but of those that did, they preferred to be referred to as 'black'. So in this context, it would probably be considered 'correct', political correctness aside, to call them 'black'. On the other hand, if a figure of authority was making a speech, and referenced the African-American race, they would most likely call them 'African-American', which would be the correct term in this context due to our stigma surrounding the words 'black', 'white', 'brown', 'yellow', etc.,. In other words, 'black' is no less correct than 'African-American', and neither word conveys a message that misleads anyone into thinking something different than if the other term is used.

#4 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I go with truth unless I am forced by the standards of society to go politically correct. Too often I find myself following the latter.

#5 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Well here's some truth. Most people who complain about political correctness and the "pc-police" tend to be annoying assholes.

#6 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well here's some truth. Most people who complain about political correctness and the "pc-police" tend to be annoying assholes.

I was trying my best to stay out of this thread but Mishelle just summed up my thoughts perfectly.

#7 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

The vast majority (meaning people who don't go out of their way to correct people) don't care about political correctness unless they are famous like Paula Deen. In my opinion, most people I've known and observed don'tcare about political correctness unless they are trying to improve their reputation or money is involved. 

#8 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Don't be an inciteful asshole and you're fine.

/thread

#9 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Some political correctness is good. E.g. imagine reading the news aka "A gang of furious turbandudes attacked local wiggers."

#10 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

I try to be politically correct :/

Well in some cases. I don't call Natives Americans, Indians for one example.

#11 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Really depends on the circumstances. Truth is better spoken when you have some kind of relationship with that person so that the person would not know you mean harm. But if you are with a complete stranger and truth may stir up unnecessary misunderstandings, then politically correct statements would be more appropriate.

#12 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I like the truth.... politically correctness has gotten so redic. like we cant say "merry xmas" in school anymore.... we have to say happy holidays.... that's the one ultimate politically correct statement I HATE...

#13 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

PC has grown into a ridiculous tendency... I wish I could say Happy Hanukkah or Happy Ramadan freely haha :)

#14 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Honestly, I understand where some people come from if they find a certain term rude and such, but there is a line between being politically correct and just being a correcting asshole to everyone, as stated above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users