Using Amazon EC2

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#176 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Switch it to Virginia. That'll make the internet connection to TnT servers better. Over time the instances get sluggish and you need to terminate the server and start a new one.

I believe that just shutting down the instance for a bit serves the same purpose as terminating it. The server is freed up for others to use while stopped, and you'll get a different one when you start it back up, the only static thing is your EBS.

#177 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

I believe that just shutting down the instance for a bit serves the same purpose as terminating it. The server is freed up for others to use while stopped, and you'll get a different one when you start it back up, the only static thing is your EBS.

I've tried restarting it a couple times and it works decently. I think you need to have it shutdown for a long enough period for someone else to pick up that server.

#178 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Is there a way to like keep all my settings/programs/etc. when I start up a new instance?

#179 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Shut it down and then turn it back on. The EBS contains all of your files and such.

#180 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

Could you elaborate a bit? If I understand correctly, I'd shut down the computer (like a normal computer), terminate the instance, begin a new one (on a new server from Oregon to Virginia - that's ok?), and I should have everything as it was before when I start the new instance.

#181 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Could you elaborate a bit? If I understand correctly, I'd shut down the computer (like a normal computer), terminate the instance, begin a new one (on a new server from Oregon to Virginia - that's ok?), and I should have everything as it was before when I start the new instance.

No. Terminating it will lose everything on the server, you are essentially "deleting" the server. If you make a new one on Virginia you have to get everything new again. You can't move servers from Oregon to Virginia.

#182 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Bummer...if I were to switch instances on the same server, then what would be the correct process?

#183 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Bummer...if I were to switch instances on the same server, then what would be the correct process?

Same thing, you would have to terminate and start a new one.

#184 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

is this even working with the new code for the atic definitely willing to attempt it if it still works. Also as far as terminating servers adn all that wasn't something said about that costing money. I put in my visa info and it is free for a year correct? also i dont care if there is diminished profits i just would like to be in the have all the shit i want category not really the sell np and shit category.

#185 201211

• 65 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Well, Silvermajra, the service is free so long as you only run instance at a time. EC2 will continue to provide the excellent ping to TNT's servers, as long as it is situated on the East Coast, even with the changes in the Attic. Therefore, you should you continue using it. However, be aware that Abrosia has not been updated to the new attic yet.

#186 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

so seeing as that abrosia isnt currently working with the new attic I can conclude that currently this method does not work with the end result being lots of np correct? unless there was another program being used to ab from the attic that im missing? once abrosia is updated then this method should be working fully correct? sorry im still very new to all of this and just making sure i can understand it. that battle of the technicalities that went on greatly confused things.

#187 201211

• 65 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

so seeing as that abrosia isnt currently working with the new attic I can conclude that currently this method does not work with the end result being lots of np correct? unless there was another program being used to ab from the attic that im missing? once abrosia is updated then this method should be working fully correct? sorry im still very new to all of this and just making sure i can understand it. that battle of the technicalities that went on greatly confused things.

Yeah, there's no use running EC2 if you don't have a program to buy in the attic. Abrosia hasn't been updated yet to go with the attic, so I wouldn't use it if I were you. If you have another program, you can give it a try, although it may be riskier depending on the program.

Once Abrosia is updated, this method will work.

#188 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Okay that what i figured thank you very much for the explanation. Yeah I dont know about any programs besides abrosia I was just wondering if I had missed something in all of that. lol

#189 WhoBeMe

WhoBeMe
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I feel really stupid for this, but I'm stuck at steps 5/6. I'm not a complete idiot, but I have a feeling I'll need somebody to explain it to me like I'm 5.

#190 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

read posts above and problem willl be solved for now at  least

#191 WhoBeMe

WhoBeMe
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

I feel really stupid for this, but I'm stuck at steps 5/6. I'm not a complete idiot, but I have a feeling I'll need somebody to explain it to me like I'm 5.

#192 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

right now this method is pretty useless as it centers around buying from the attic at insanely fast speeds using abrosia. As of this moment abrosia doesnt work with the attic and therefore this method doesnt currently work. Also with the new attic there maybe the possibility of increased surveillance which could result in a significant increase in freeze rates.

#193 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

right now this method is pretty useless as it centers around buying from the attic at insanely fast speeds using abrosia. As of this moment abrosia doesnt work with the attic and therefore this method doesnt currently work. Also with the new attic there maybe the possibility of increased surveillance which could result in a significant increase in freeze rates.

There are tons of attic autobuyers out there. This method is far from useless.

#194 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

There are tons of attic autobuyers out there. This method is far from useless.

#195 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Using Amazon EC2-> Do the opposite of what Rob says.

#196 WhoBeMe

WhoBeMe
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's cool and all. But I'm obviously missing the smallest of things here because I can't figure out the remote desktop part. Plus I can't see anything in the picture that's given.

#197 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

He did warn you it's a shitty tutorial

#198 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

There are probably hundreds of tutorials out there on how to use EC2, it's a very popular service. Google around for a more in-depth tutorial, you won't have to look for very long.

#199 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

So my instance is becoming painfully slow now and I think I need to switch to another instance. However I don't want to lose all my data/files/etc. Shrouded said this was possible to do but the process isn't explained. Could someone help?

#200 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I apologize I didnt know there were other programs didnt mean to misinform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users