Using Amazon EC2

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#201 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

So my instance is becoming painfully slow now and I think I need to switch to another instance. However I don't want to lose all my data/files/etc. Shrouded said this was possible to do but the process isn't explained. Could someone help?

Still looking for help on this...Thanks

#202 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ok I had to figure it out myself and here's the process for anyone else who might need it:

In order to switch instances without losing your data, you need to save an image. Go to the Amazon EC2 Dashboard and find your current running instance. Right click on it and select "Create Image (EBS ABI)". A screen looking like this will show up:

5NKAPz3.png

Choose a name for your image and deselect "Delete on Termination". Then click save and click Yes, Create.

You can view your image by clicking "AMIs" under the Images tab on the left sidebar of the EC2 Dashboard. It will take 5-10 minutes or so to save it. Once it is done, right click on the image you saved and click Launch. You will go through the steps then to open a new instance (the instance will be on the same server and OS you chose). Then just terminate your old instance and viola, you have a new instance with your old data opened!

Note: it will cost money to do this so I suggest you delete your image once you've created your new instance. It was under $2 for me though so yea.

Edited by cuttingedge, 01 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#203 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Just keep in mind, that if you create an image, you WILL start getting charged for storing it ;) if you want to avoid fees, don't do this.

#204 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I didn't even think about that lol...If you create it and deregister it when you're finished will the cost not be large?

#205 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Not too sure, give it a go and see? ;)

#206 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I guess I'll update when I get the bill :p

#207 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Attached File  ec22.PNG   35.6KB   0 downloads

^I get this when I try opening the rdp? ('m a little differently abled when it comes to this kind of thing, so I have no clue what this means. :p)

#208 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I don't have rdp but I ran into issues connecting... Try this:

I am more than willing to bet he was talking about the security group settings. If you're having trouble connecting to your RDP shortcut, (like an error message pops up saying that it can't connect, that the computer may be off, etc.), then it probably has to do with the AWS's security group settings.

First off, you got to figure out which security group you're using

Spoiler

Keep in mind the name of the security group. Then follow these steps.

Spoiler

Click on the security group whose name column corresponds with the one you're using in your instance. In the port range box, type in 3389. In the Source box type in your ip address followed by /32 (for most IP addresses). It should look like this xxx.xx.xx.xxx/32. Click on the ADD RULE button.

You should now be able to connect to your instance using the IP specified above in the source box. Remember, if you use a VPN or hotspotshield, you will not be able to access your instance unless your VPN's IP address corresponds with the IP you placed in the source field above.

Or this:

3Gk7Q.png

This is exactly what I did when creating a security group since the default wouldn't let me connect. If you wanted the layman's/idiot's version xD. To elaborate, I picked "All ICPM", "All TCP", and "All UDP" and then pressed add rule for each.

201211's post may be more helpful/the right thing to do but if you're still having issues, try this I suppose

#209 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

The first method worked :) Thank you! Now I can actually get buy times under 4000ms. Lifesaver.

Uh, considering Amazon's servers are in the US - and I'm pretty far away from there - am I going to look suspicious for ABing on one IP and playing on another? (And can I use an internet browser w/the remote computer without spending anything?)

Edited by Amie, 30 September 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#210 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

The first method worked :) Thank you! Now I can actually get buy times under 4000ms. Lifesaver.

Uh, considering Amazon's servers are in the US - and I'm pretty far away from there - am I going to look suspicious for ABing on one IP and playing on another?

Yep :/ I would suggest using a shell or alternate main account for the VPN.

#211 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Yep :/ I would suggest using a shell or alternate main account for the VPN.

I don't have one old enough yet :doh: Would it cost anything to browse Neo while using EC2?

#212 JillianMarie

JillianMarie
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

If I AB'd I would use this. Great guide. (:

#213 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

I don't have one old enough yet :doh: Would it cost anything to browse Neo while using EC2?

As long as you don't go over the usage limit it wouldn't.

#214 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thanks so much for this. :)

#215 Jam

Jam
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Thanks so much for this. :)

dead

#216 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

dead

Boom ur ded

#217 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Boom ur ded

zombieland-2009.gif

C-c-c-c-combo

#218 JackiRated

JackiRated
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Awesome guide.

Just keep in mind, that if you create an image, you WILL start getting charged for storing it ;) if you want to avoid fees, don't do this.

And cheers for this, i had an image created as a back up. Their pricing scheme isn't the clearest!

Thats gone now ;)

Edited by JackiRated, 17 January 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#219 neobo

neobo
  • 229 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:19 PM

This seems like a great way to run ABing on shells without having to use tor or vpn. If I'm in the US and pick an U.S. East server why would I need an ip blocker? Wouldn't my main and my computer be on a different server than the shell on EC2?

#220 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

This seems like a great way to run ABing on shells without having to use tor or vpn. If I'm in the US and pick an U.S. East server why would I need an ip blocker? Wouldn't my main and my computer be on a different server than the shell on EC2?

Precisely :)

#221 neobo

neobo
  • 229 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Precisely :)

Thanks, most times the obvious escapes me.

Just to sum up: So is I can run a few shells through EC2 when I get banned ABing on my main. And all from my home computer. And its safe-ish. I only worry about my precious main, not the shells.

Edited by neobo, 30 June 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#222 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

Thanks, most times the obvious escapes me

It's very handy for ABing and keeping IP's separate, not to mention the speeds you can buy at on an EC2 instance. I live in Aus, get regular 2000+ms buys but on an EC2 instance in the US, I regularly get sub-1200ms buys :D

#223 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Ec2 can definitely be good as long as you get a good instance. I've had some that lagged bad, just started a new instance until I got a good one. Now I don't Bother but they definitely work well.

#224 neobo

neobo
  • 229 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Okay so I just made my first instance, all good.  The guide was a bit out of data, I was easily able to muddle through it or so I thought. East coast IP, no problem logging into neopets and codex, went to download the program manager and "this file could not be downloaded" I chose windows 2008 because I thought it be cool to see if I could get those old shock wave games to load. (major Hannah nostalgia) haha guess I need to delete it and choose a more current AMI.

2 concerns, (strike: hoping I can delete 2008 and a more recent platform will run program manager) and how EVER do you know when I am being charged?!?!

Update:
Hey guys I'm posting here from "Seattle" crazy amounts of ABing here I come!

Edited by neobo, 02 July 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#225 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

You can delete the Windows Server 2008 instance and create a new one. But for using the program manager that one is more than enough. As for the billing question think you can check it here : https://console.aws....ling/home#/bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users