Quantcast

Photo

Legalization of marijuana, Yay or Nay?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Legalization of Marijuana

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Should marijuana be legalized?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Vote, post your thoughts, anything!

#2 yolo

yolo
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

why should it not be?  alcohol and tobacco are much more damaging to your health, even in moderation

plus it's more tax revenue for the government

idk i live in central california so i am definitely biased lol

#3 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

why should it not be?  alcohol and tobacco are much more damaging to your health, even in moderation

First of all, that initial argument doesn't mean anything. If anything, its an argument for the banning of alcohol and tobacco. It's like saying we should legalise CFC's again because it theoretically kills less people than tobacco does.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about whether or not its legalised. I'm not for or against. But if you want to be taken seriously, use logical arguments.

EDIT: Cracked has a good article (for once) on such arguments; http://www.cracked.c...-arent-helping/

Might be worth checking out, as its one of the articles that I actually find informative.

Edited by Hummingway, 25 July 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Make everything illegal or everything legal. That's it. Some people say no because they don't want to be walking with their kids and see someone smoking weed. Of course it is going to have its restrictions too.

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

Agreed on both points.

First of all, that initial argument doesn't mean anything. If anything, its an argument for the banning of alcohol and tobacco. It's like saying we should legalise CFC's again because it theoretically kills less people than tobacco does.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about whether or not its legalised. I'm not for or against. But if you want to be taken seriously, use logical arguments.

EDIT: Cracked has a good article (for once) on such arguments; http://www.cracked.c...-arent-helping/

Might be worth checking out, as its one of the articles that I actually find informative.

It's an argument for both a ban on alcohol and tobacco, and for the legalisation of cannabis. 

The reasoning behind the illegality of cannabis is because it was (is) seen as seriously damaging to your health.

Now we realise that it isn't damaging to your health, why wouldn't it be legalised? 

Make everything illegal or everything legal. That's it. Some people say no because they don't want to be walking with their kids and see someone smoking weed. Of course it is going to have its restrictions too.

I agree to an extent - copying Portugal's policy of decriminalising all drugs would definitely be a good plan, but, I don't think we should have open shops selling 'harder' drugs such as cocaine and heroin. I think we should stick to the topic of cannabis in this thread.

#6 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

It's definitely LESS damaging to your health, but you simply cannot make the leap from "far less dangerous" to "not dangerous at all" and, from what I've seen people say, to "good for you". Frankly, if I'm going to be blunt, I want it legalised in Australia because I want to get high. I'm not bullshitting with medicinal excuses etc. I'm willing to accept the risks in return for the experience. But that's simply not going to happen if we sound ridiculously biased and naive. It has risks, and it isn't a harmless little plant. It's a drug, less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco but can be used responsibly and with minimal risk.

#7 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

I just think we should listen to the scientists, and not the politicians.

#8 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Just wanted to mention the medicinal benefits of marijuana:

1) Lower obesity rate for users (Americans would appreciate this :) )

2) Used as an anti-depressant

3) Used in post-surgery treatment

4) Stimulation of appetite in cancer and AIDS patients

And so on... there's so many benefits I can't imagine why they criminalized it in the first place

#9 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

If marijuana is legalized, I can see being a huge business. it's only a matter of time! Invest now!

#10 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

:cop:  That'll never happen.

#11 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

If marijuana is legalized, I can see being a huge business. it's only a matter of time! Invest now!

I can see that coming. Particularly tobacco companies. Heck they'll have varieties and such... That's some serious money.

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

What a silly question.

#13 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I agree to an extent - copying Portugal's policy of decriminalising all drugs would definitely be a good plan, but, I don't think we should have open shops selling 'harder' drugs such as cocaine and heroin. I think we should stick to the topic of cannabis in this thread.

By "all" I meant tobacco, alcohol, and marihuana. Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough.

Damn right.

#14 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

I really don't care I suppose. I mean, the only reason marajuana became illegal in the first place is because of the paper industries back in the 20's I do believe, even though hemp could be better used to produce paper instead of trees.

#15 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

I really don't care I suppose. I mean, the only reason marajuana became illegal in the first place is because of the paper industries back in the 20's I do believe, even though hemp could be better used to produce paper instead of trees.

Yeah I think I read once that it was because of the lobbying of the paper industries back in the day that caused all of this. And also that the military did tests to their soldiers with it. Of course, marijuana on a soldier whose duties include being alert doesn't really fit well :o

#16 TheAngel

TheAngel
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I see no reason for non legalize.

#17 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

http://www.mpp.org/m...ijuana-but.html

And so prohibition fuels crime apparently  :ninja:

#18 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:16 AM

:cop:  That'll never happen.

Not necessary. White House still holds the opposing view of legalisation of marijuana.

http://www.whitehous...na-legalization

The following are the points that they listed.

Marijuana use is harmful and should be discouraged

• Marijuana use is associated with dependence, respiratory and mental illness, poor motor performance, and impaired cognitive and immune system functioning, among other negative effects.
  • Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory.
  • Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia.
  • Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

Legalization would lower price, thereby increasing use

• A recent report from the RAND Corporation, “Altered State,” discusses how legalization would cause the price of marijuana to plummet, triggering increases in use of the drug.
  • Illegality helps keep prices higher. And because drug use is sensitive to price, especially among young people, higher prices help keep use rates relatively low.
  • Use of the legal substances alcohol and tobacco far outpaces the use of marijuana (figure 2), a strong indication that laws reduce the availability and acceptability of substances.
  • Our experience with even tightly regulated prescription drugs, such as Oxycontin, shows that legalizing drugs widens availability and misuse, even when controls are in place.

Tax revenue would be offset by higher social costs

• The costs to society of alcohol and tobacco – substances that are legal and taxed – are much greater than the revenue they generate.
  • Federal excise taxes collected on alcohol in 2007 totaled around $9 billion; states collected around $5.5 billion. Combined, these amounts are less than 10 percent of the estimated $185 billion in alcohol‐related costs to health care, criminal justice, and the workplace in lost productivity.
  • Tobacco does not yield net revenue when taxed. Each year, Americans spend more than $200 billion on the social costs of smoking, but only about $25 billion is collected in taxes.

Legalization would further burden the criminal justice system

• Legalizing marijuana would increase use of the drug and, consequently, the harm it causes, thus adding to the burden on the criminal justice system. Arrests for alcohol‐related crimes, such as violations of liquor laws, public drunkenness, and driving under the influence, totaled nearly 2.7 million in 2008. Marijuana‐possession arrests under current laws in 2008 totaled around 750,000.
  • Most people whose only crime is marijuana possession do not go to prison. A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes). Other independent research has shown that the risk of arrest for each “joint,” or marijuana cigarette, smoked is about 1 arrest for every 12,000 joints.

Legalization would do little, if anything, to curb drug violence

• Marijuana accounts for only a portion of the proceeds gained by criminal organizations that profit from drug distribution, human trafficking, and other crimes, so legalizing marijuana would not deter these groups from continuing to operate. 
  • Under the most commonly proposed legalization regime – one that imposes high taxes on marijuana – violent drug cartels would simply undercut legal prices to keep their market share. With increased demand for marijuana resulting from legalization, these groups would likely grow stronger.

Edited by Grandmaster, 09 August 2013 - 03:24 AM.

#19 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

Obviously not, it's immoral and it makes your brain all hunky-dory.

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Obviously not, it's immoral and it makes your brain all hunky-dory.

tumblr_inline_mq3m5kMcNg1qz4rgp.jpg

#21 Falien

Falien
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Decriminalized, yes. Legalized? No.

Legalization will lead to factories churning out shitty weed all over the streets... And tax. TAX.

#22 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Legalization will lead to factories churning out shitty weed all over the streets... And tax. TAX.

THIS.  And all the chemicals that they'll add to the shitty weed to grow it.

#23 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Or you could grow it yourself once it's legalized. ;)

#24 Smashley

Smashley
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

While I feel it should be legal to smoke marijuana, I feel the government would find a way to tax it, which would just be another tax on the citizens of the US.

#25 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

While I feel it should be legal to smoke marijuana, I feel the government would find a way to tax it, which would just be another tax on the citizens of the US.

???? and this is wrong because ????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users