• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

A couple years ago, some schools in Illinois decided to ban packed lunches. I just figured that Illinois is a pretty crazy state anyway, so I ignored it and went on with life. I just found out that over the summer, there are schools in the UK that are deciding that they don't want packed lunches allowed either and even as close (and normal) as Virginia, unless the kid has a doctor's note.

I can understand banning nuts or even candy (not really on the candy,) but the whole lunch?

What about the parents who can't afford to take their kid to the doctor, even though they KNOW that dairy makes their kid sick? What about parents who can make a healthy lunch cheaper than buying a school lunch? 

Also this: 

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

Will this slowly become the new standard? Parents can't even be trusted to feed their children properly?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

I can understand the argument for it. In the UK most parents just tend to give their kids money each day to buy their lunch which they then spend on fast food and other unhealthy stuff (I know I did anyway :p) or put pretty unhealthy stuff in their packed lunches. I don't think it should be banned but it would probably be beneficial in most cases.

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Man, Lunchables will be even COOLER than ever.

#4 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Unless the public schools hired a Gordon Ramsey as a cafeteria lady, then I wouldn't send my hypothetical children to spend money for a square pizza and chinky chocolate milk.

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Unless the public schools hired a Gordon Ramsey as a cafeteria lady, then I wouldn't send my hypothetical children to spend money for a square pizza and chinky chocolate milk.

what's chinky chocolate milk?

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Why not just check the lunch for nuts and things? You get rid of the allergy risk and all the "unhealthy" stuff you don't like in the lunch and the kids still get packed lunches. Here, school food is awful, I don't know about the UK though. The only good things we have are the tater tots and fries. The cheese pizza tastes like they put pepperoni on it and then took it off.
If you keep taking the unhealthy stuff out of lunches, parents will stop putting it in because it would be a waste of money to put something in that doesn't get eaten. Then you get healthier lunches.

What's so wrong with a healthy packed lunch anyways?

Edited by Satsuki, 11 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I can understand the argument for it. In the UK most parents just tend to give their kids money each day to buy their lunch which they then spend on fast food and other unhealthy stuff (I know I did anyway :p) or put pretty unhealthy stuff in their packed lunches. I don't think it should be banned but it would probably be beneficial in most cases.

Turnip and I were talking the other day (turnip-shaped convention, you know) about food in the UK vs food in the US and the regulations regarding it. I would think a UK school lunch would be healthier than a US school lunch, but I don't know what an actual school lunch over there would look like.
blahblahblah local school lunch

Edited by Napiform, 06 March 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#8 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

what's chinky chocolate milk?

Because typo or unconscious and extreme racism towards the orientals seeping through suppressive social normativity.   

Edited by Keil, 11 October 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Because typo or unconscious and extreme racism towards the orientals seeping through suppressive social normativity.   

Is chinky milk the one that's full of melamine?

#10 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

I used to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club and the kids (of goddamn proud MURICA) said of their lunches was chicken nuggets and fries with a side of string beans and mac and cheese. They didn't have as much variety as in the UK. If they didn't want the main course, the only other option is a PB&J or the vending machines.

Is chinky milk the one that's full of melamine?

Chinky milk comes from chinky cows. Like, duh. We learned that from geography or something.

#11 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

We have disgustingly greasy pizza and other such untouchables across most of Washington. I usually heat up leftovers from last night's dinner and throw it in a thermos, I think I'd probably die if I had to eat school lunch every day.

#12 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

So it was supposed to be "chunky" chocolate milk?

I think I'd rather have chinky chocolate milk...

#13 Wanderlust

Wanderlust
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

All I know is that I admire the kid who started the lunchroom revolution.

I never ate lunch at school because it was disgusting and sloppy and I'm super picky. 

#14 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ughh if I had to eat school food everyday I wouldn't have time to do anything at lunch due to the lineup queues. T_T

Edited by Musician, 11 October 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#15 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I never packed lunch, mostly cause school food was really good. There's a bunch of stalls to choose from, and they're all pretty healthy (there's no such thing as fries in my primary school)

Though I don't think it should be banned either, it's a really silly thing to ban. School's enough of a prison for people to ban good food from home.

Also cheaper, sometimes healthier, blah blah.

#16 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

where i'm from, we need to cut our hair according to the standard length/fashion, wear uniforms everyday and have to sing the national anthem everyday.

but we can pack lunches, hooray!

#17 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

where i'm from, we need to cut our hair according to the standard length/fashion, wear uniforms everyday and have to sing the national anthem everyday.

but we can pack lunches, hooray!

Good to see some people have their priorities in the correct order. :p

#18 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

My high school lunch wasn't too healthy/tasty anyways and I assume that is true for most schools. So I don't see why they would ban packed lunch. Well, unless the school wants to make money selling lunches.

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm reading a book called French Kids Eat Everything and apparently in most of the schools, they have two options: eat what the school serves them or go home for lunch. They also aren't allowed to bring their lunches. 

Here's a school lunch example out of the book:

Endive Salad with Emmental and croutons

Alaskan hake with pan-fried potatoes

blue cheese

plain yogurt and apricots in honey syrup

That's a huge difference from a typical US lunch of:

Sausage Pizza
Served w/Salad
Corn Cobette
Apple

#20 Scot

Scot
  • ā‰”^į“„^ā‰”

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

School lunches were actually a good deal for the quality and amount of food you got.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who brought their own lunch not bring junk food.

I don't like not being given a choice though.

When I was in school we had this ridiculous soda reform because kids kept getting fat so they reduced the serving sizes of soft drinks and gatorade that was allowed to be sold in the machines by 40% and reduce the price by 25%. I see no comflict of interest there.

#21 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Lol.

In my third world country kids get free school lunches until the 9th grade. I'm sure some schools serve up shitty foods but from my personal experience (contrary to popular belief I am educated) with the many different schools I've gone to everything's been top-notch and most of the ingredients were bought from local farmers and what not since it tended to be cheaper than getting it from a market/store.

#22 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

I did the same thing when I went to school cuz at my school lunch served wasn't any better than fast food. It was usually frozen shit packed with sodium and preservatives that the lunch people just had to warm up in the oven. 

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Am I the only person who went to a school where they actually served fast food in the cafeteria?

#24 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm reading a book called French Kids Eat Everything and apparently in most of the schools, they have two options: eat what the school serves them or go home for lunch. They also aren't allowed to bring their lunches. 

Here's a school lunch example out of the book:

Endive Salad with Emmental and croutons

Alaskan hake with pan-fried potatoes

blue cheese

plain yogurt and apricots in honey syrup

That's a huge difference from a typical US lunch of:

Sausage Pizza
Served w/Salad
Corn Cobette
Apple

no french fries? :o

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

no french fries? :o

"pan-fried potatoes"

^the French get French fries and I don't because they aren't healthy enough.

I PROTEST.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users