• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

I always find quotes from books that I love, and I always forget to write them down. So, here's a place where we can all keep track of our favorite quotes from books and movies - and maybe even find some new favorites. 

"God hath given you one face, and you make yourself another." - William Shakespeare, Hamlet. (Love me some Shakespeare.) 

“The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no farther.”  - Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar. 

“He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.”  - Cormac McCarthy, The Road. 

“Perhaps in the world's destruction it would be possible at last to see how it was made. Oceans, mountains. The ponderous counterspectacle of things ceasing to be. The sweeping waste, hydroptic and coldly secular. The silence.”  - Cormac McCarthy, The Road.   

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I’ve been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." Jack Kerouac, On the Road. 

I have some more, but those are the only quotes I can think of right now. 

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Anything by Pablo Neruda:

“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close"

Billeh Nickerson:

they thought, how could she
just disappear?

Edited by Napiform, 21 October 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Oh my God, Karin, you can't just ask why people are White!

#4 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Oo9buo9Mtos

Woo, go Conan!

#5 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

/tear

Edited by Emily, 25 October 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#6 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOZhAc26I8

"And just because you see a black man driving a nice car, does NOT mean it's stolen. ................. I stole that one, but not 'cause I'm black!"

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

De-liver de-letter de-sooner de-better; de-later de-letter de-madder I getter.

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

lost.jpg

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

YER A WIZARD 'ARRY!

#10 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

“And it came to me then. That we were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they look like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they're nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we'd be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing.”

#11 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

"Stay goldden, ponyboy."

#12 aowpie

aowpie
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

The best movie quote of all time...  "Hold on to your butts"  It's funny because its Samuel L Jackson and hes smoking a cigarette... 

#13 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

My favorite quote from the most recent book I read was on page 72 of Moneyball.

I gave the copy of the book to my Dad to read, but the gist of it was "If the tens of thousands of people in the stands and millions of people watching on TV cannot properly evaluate the talent on the field, what other gross miscalculations of a person's value occur in other professions?"

#14 panther1

panther1
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

LIEU-TENANT DAN!

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

LIEU-TENANT DAN!

Really?
Not the shrimp monologue? Or the bird exchange?

#16 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

#17 Jam

Jam
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

Evil GeniusGod isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how He spends His time! Forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!

Robert: Slugs.
Evil Genius: Slugs! He created slugs. They can't hear! They can't speak! They can't operate machinery! I mean, are we not in the hands of a lunatic?

From the movie Time Bandits.

Edited by Jam, 10 January 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#18 Kau

Kau
  • 261 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

That's the last time I ever try to bring anyone back from the dead! (Scary Movie 3)

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

Momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get xD

-Forrest Gump

#20 Blippety

Blippety
  • I Want to Lick Adam's Teeth

• 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

Don't just stare at it... eat it. 

Patrick Bateman, American Psycho (film)

I think a lot of snowflakes are alike..  I think a lot of people are alike too

Patrick Bateman, American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

I'm giving very serious thought... to eating your wife.

Hannibal Lecter, Hannibal (I can't remember if Novel or Film) - Thomas Harris

Boy, that escalated quickly...

..Brick killed a guy!

Anchorman

#21 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

"Oh, you're hopeless, said Sam. Go to sleep!"
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

#22 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

"You underestimate my power!" from Star Wars

#23 Unati

Unati
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

"Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for the shore." ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

#24 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchett

#25 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

"I love enemies, though not in the Christian way. They amuse me, excite my blood. Being always on one's guard, catching every glance, the significance of every word, guessing at intentions, frustrating their plots, pretending to be tricked, and suddenly, with a shove, upturning the whole enormous and arduously built edifice of their cunning and schemes - that's what I call life." - Mikhail Lermontov, A Hero of our Time. 

"It is so hard to leave - until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world." - John Green, Paper Towns.

"I was surprised, as always, by how easy the act of leaving was, and how good it felt. The world was suddenly rich with possibility." - Jack Kerouac, On the Road.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, movies, quotes, awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users