Where to get a good proxy?

proxy abrosia

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 fratdude

fratdude
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

The proxy I've been using for the past few [time] has suddenly stopped working, and now every proxy I use gives me the same error. The only person with a similar issue I could find on these forums had a proxy with a password; I'm pretty sure my proxy didn't. Either way, I just need to know where you guys get proxies that work.

#2 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have used www.cool-proxy.net/proxies/http_proxy_list/sort:score/direction:desc but the buy times were too slow so I stopped using it

Edited by jinq, 23 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#3 starletbabe

starletbabe
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Not sure if you found one yet but I get mine from bestproxyandvpn.com I know others recommend them too!

#4 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

http://hidemyass.com/proxy-list/

You can find a constant up-to-date list there^

Edited by L33T, 03 December 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#5 Cylus

Cylus
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

At the http://hidemyass.com...a proxy before.

#6 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

At the <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://hidemyass.com...com/proxy-list/

How do i know what is a good proxy to use? I've never used a proxy before.

So what you'll do is find one with yellow - green speed, connection time, and anonymity (less important but still should be taken into consideration). Also make sure it's in your country so there are minimal connection problems.

#7 Cylus

Cylus
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Mkay, now where do i put the proxy? Does it matter what kind of proxy it is? Http/Https/ect? I'm using firefox, an it has a few options as to where to put the proxy.

#8 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Mkay, now where do i put the proxy? Does it matter what kind of proxy it is? Http/Https/ect? I'm using firefox, an it has a few options as to where to put the proxy.

You use it on the programs :p, they have built in support. Take Abrosia for example. Setting --> Web Settings. Self-explanatory from there :)

#9 Cylus

Cylus
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Mkay, Does the type of proxy matter? Https/Http/Sock?

#10 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Mkay, Does the type of proxy matter? Https/Http/Sock?

Http or Https are what I would use. Also another piece of advice: use free proxies at your own risk, they're not as reliable as "elite" or paid for ones.

#11 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Http or Https are what I would use. Also another piece of advice: use free proxies at your own risk, they're not as reliable as "elite" or paid for ones.

Moreover, your account details are not safe when sending all of your data over a free proxy.

#12 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Moreover, your account details are not safe when sending all of your data over a free proxy.

Also this. It's not an enormous risk, but it's still a risk.

#13 Cylus

Cylus
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

What kind of risk do i have using a free proxy? What can happen? I'm computer illiterate.

#14 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

What kind of risk do i have using a free proxy? What can happen? I'm computer illiterate.

Well I've never used proxies myself, but from what I've read, there's a small chance your account could be compromised by another party (TNT not excluded). Especially if you're sloppy.

Edited by L33T, 05 December 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#15 Revisions

Revisions
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

You can use a free proxy, but... don't expect it to stay functional forever. Or have great quality. Or be very secure. Paid proxies/VPNs are much, much better on all three counts if you plan to use them at all.

With proxies, you really do get what you pay for. (read: free is shit)

#16 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

You can use a free proxy, but... don't expect it to stay functional forever. Or have great quality. Or be very secure. Paid proxies/VPNs are much, much better on all three counts if you plan to use them at all.

With proxies, you really do get what you pay for. (read: free is shit)

This is basically what I've been trying to say. Just for clarification :p

#17 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

It's important to remember what a proxy actually is: a server used as a throughput for your traffic.

This means that everything you do through your browser (once you set it up and have it enabled) will be sent through this server before it's sent to the actual address you're trying to access in your browser. (and vice-versa for responses)

Many free proxy providers make a profit by placing extra ads on pages you request, and in some cases they may collect data about your browsing information. While most free proxy providers are generally OK (but slow and unreliable), some have been known to intercept data such as user emails, usernames, passwords, etc. This data is then sold to the highest bidder...

Paid proxy providers can be usually be relied on to leave your data alone. You also get a basic level of security through the fact you're actually paying for a product. @Nymh recently recommended 

http://www.bestproxyandvpn.com/ 

to me, which I've been using for a few days now, and it seems to be pretty speedy & hasn't given over yet. Realistically, we're talking only $3 a month for that added level of security that your data won't be captured and sold.

Edited by Dan, 05 December 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#18 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

It's important to remember what a proxy actually is: a server used as a throughput for your traffic.

This means that everything you do through your browser (once you set it up and have it enabled) will be sent through this server before it's sent to the actual address you're trying to access in your browser. (and vice-versa for responses)

Many free proxy providers make a profit by placing extra ads on pages you request, and in some cases they may collect data about your browsing information. While most free proxy providers are generally OK (but slow and unreliable), some have been known to intercept data such as user emails, usernames, passwords, etc. This data is then sold to the highest bidder...

Paid proxy providers can be usually be relied on to leave your data alone. You also get a basic level of security through the fact you're actually paying for a product. @Nymh recently recommended 

http://www.bestproxyandvpn.com/ 

to me, which I've been using for a few days now, and it seems to be pretty speedy & hasn't given over yet. Realistically, we're talking only $3 a month for that added level of security that your data won't be captured and sold.

What did you buy? The 1 elite proxy?

#19 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

What did you buy? The 1 elite proxy?

Yeah, I just bought the package with 1 on this page:

http://www.bestproxy...uy-proxies.html

#20 Cylus

Cylus
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

If you pay the 3$ a month, does the proxy stay up for good? Or do you get a list of proxys to use when you pay for them? Don't wanna pay an then few days later the proxy quits working.

#21 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

If you pay the 3$ a month, does the proxy stay up for good? Or do you get a list of proxys to use when you pay for them? Don't wanna pay an then few days later the proxy quits working.

Yeah, you'll be leasing a (1) proxy from them, the uptime, reliability and privacy is all part of the package. I'm pretty sure you can switch the location around as well. You'll get a username/password for the proxy.

#22 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, you'll be leasing a (1) proxy from them, the uptime, reliability and privacy is all part of the package. I'm pretty sure you can switch the location around as well. You'll get a username/password for the proxy.

Would you recommend them from the short experience you've had? Nymh if you're reading this feel free to chime in :p. My interest is piqued now, and I am genuinely considering using a proxy now to increase profits haha.

#23 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Would you recommend them from the short experience you've had? Nymh if you're reading this feel free to chime in :p. My interest is piqued now, and I am genuinely considering using a proxy now to increase profits haha.

How many accounts are you simultaneously using? If it's a lot, you might want to purchase a proxy.

That said, I've heard lately that Neopets is pretty lax on checking simultaneous users on IP addresses - so right now I wouldn't say you should be too worried about running a few accounts on the same IP.

#24 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

How many accounts are you simultaneously using? If it's a lot, you might want to purchase a proxy.

That said, I've heard lately that Neopets is pretty lax on checking simultaneous users on IP addresses - so right now I wouldn't say you should be too worried about running a few accounts on the same IP.

None at the current time. In the past I would run 3 - 6 at once all in magic.. and they'd all be chain frozen after a few weeks (go figure). I'm a lot more careful now--maybe too careful--where did you hear that?

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

None at the current time. In the past I would run 3 - 6 at once all in magic.. and they'd all be chain frozen after a few weeks (go figure). I'm a lot more careful now--maybe too careful--where did you hear that?

There are ~20 accounts associated on my ip between yung and I. (some days are more than others, but usually 2-4... I also believe he rotates his? Obviously I don't run these all at once.) I don't run magic on any of my accounts anywhere. I also have a couple different vpn/vps thingies because if we DO get chain iced, I don't want to lose everything. (I use free tunnelbear til it runs out every month, ec2, and hotspot shield. Tunnelbear is definitely my favorite. I absolutely hate proxies. The only good one I've used was xWa's. I've used the one previously mentioned here, a Turkey one, and couldn't get it to work properly) These also have more than one account associated with them except Hotspot Shield.
I cheat on 95% of my accounts in some way or another. (Or every way, w/e)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users