• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

One thing I've noticed of late is that there has been a pretty frequent level of deleted or invis'd comments / posts, and this can sometimes leave the users involved confused as to why a certain post or comment has been removed.

I know that it used to be policy to notify a user if their comment or post has been moderated (I made it :lol: ).

I think we need this again, otherwise people are going to start yelling censorship (and rightly so) when a post or comment gets removed and no explanation is given to those involved.

A good example of this system working is in the results thread for the Codies: posts were hidden (for a good reason, no qualms), and an explanation was given. Reasoning given was clear and everybody accepted it and moved on. 

I think it's important to remember every moderator action needs to be justified and audits should be in place to make sure this is a fair and open community for everyone... or at least that's something we should work towards.

Spoiler

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

Generally we already do this, but I can see how your recent experience would trigger this post and I agree with everything you have said.

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I once made a thread asking for boggart and pyro to be banned and it was removed. I wasn't ever told why...unacceptable, ban mods please. Make me admin.

also make bone admin plz

#4 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

I once made a thread asking for boggart and pyro to be banned and it was removed. I wasn't ever told why...unacceptable, ban mods please. Make me admin.

also make bone admin plz

29wa3o6.png

You already won...

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

When my stuff gets invisied or deleted and I don't know why, I pm the person who did it and ask. I have my notifications set so I know when my stuff disappears (and who made it disappear) though and I doubt many other people do.

#6 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Bullshit, I demanded this be made a mandatory action about 8/9 years ago after frequent posts got deleted without my say so.

I know that it used to be policy to notify a user if their comment or post has been moderated (I made it :lol: ).

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

http://www.neocodex....a=notifications

You can use the notification system to be notified when something happens to one of your threads/posts.

Also, posts aren't removed very frequently at all, before the Codies thread a post hadn't been removed for about a week (other than requested ones) and most threads/posts removed are by request of the original authors. ;)

A good example of this system working is in the results thread for the Codies: posts were hidden (for a good reason, no qualms), and an explanation was given. Reasoning given was clear and everybody accepted it and moved on.

Unless you're talking about something else I seem to recall a few people complaining about those posts being hidden (though they were of course wrong). ;)

#8 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

http://www.neocodex....a=notifications

You can use the notification system to be notified when something happens to one of your threads/posts.

Also, posts aren't removed very frequently at all, before the Codies thread a post hadn't been removed for about a week (other than requested ones) and most threads/posts removed are by request of the original authors. ;)

I had a comment removed last night with no indication of why. Receiving a notification doesn't explain the reasoning behind it being removed...

Unless you're talking about something else I seem to recall a few people complaining about those posts being hidden (though they were of course wrong).  ;)

Are you saying that in a normal case where posts are removed for actual rule-breaks you think people would complain?

Do you disagree with what I'm proposing in the OP?

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

I had a comment removed last night with no indication of why. Receiving a notification doesn't explain the reasoning behind it being removed...

All the posts you've had removed recently were in the Codies thread and you already know the reasoning behind that.

Are you saying that in a normal case where posts are removed for actual rule-breaks you think people would complain?

Do you disagree with what I'm proposing in the OP?

Some people are willing to complain about anything, I believe it mainly comes from attention seeking.

And I disagree with anything that gives me more work to do than the very minimum necessary. :p

#10 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

All the posts you've had removed recently were in the Codies thread and you already know the reasoning behind that.

Some people are willing to complain about anything, I believe it mainly comes from attention seeking.

And I disagree with anything that gives me more work to do than the very minimum necessary. :p

It was a status comment...

The point I'm trying to make here is that whenever something is removed on the board, the involved member should be given a reason why. I don't think that's unreasonable, or too much effort for a moderator..  

You could always leave it to the real mods  :nahnah:

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

The point I'm trying to make here is that whenever something is removed on the board, the involved member should be given a reason why. I don't think that's unreasonable, or too much effort for a moderator..  

You could always leave it to the real mods  :nahnah:

In that case unless you've been making status updates with trading or inappropriate content then it was probably a status reply removed along with an offending status update (when a status update is removed all the replies go with it), in which case you wouldn't have been told why anyway.

I promise to try to remember to send a PM to somebody when one of their posts is removed.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

*Poof*
I can answer this.
I removed a comment of yours  in reference to someone asking what "other" is.
I removed it because discussion of real-world currency publicly on the forums is not allowed. The reason I didn't notify you is because you're not an idiot and you've been around long enough to know this rule exists. :p

#13 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

*Poof*
I can answer this.
I removed a comment of yours  in reference to someone asking what "other" is.
I removed it because discussion of real-world currency publicly on the forums is not allowed. The reason I didn't notify you is because you're not an idiot and you've been around long enough to know this rule exists. :p

It's more of a principle thing :p

In other news, that rule is entirely stupid and should be changed. There's no way in hell neopets gives a shit whether we say "$" or "other". Code-words don't and can't stop court cases...  Neopets are fully aware of what is facilitated on this site, and would have no problems requesting PM logs... (and neocodex is just that, a facilitation).

PS, that's no jab at you... I, too, had to do my job when I was a moderator  :thumbdown: 

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's more of a principle thing :p

In other news, that rule is entirely stupid and should be changed. There's no way in hell neopets gives a shit whether we say "$" or "other". Code-words don't and can't stop court cases...  Neopets are fully aware of what is facilitated on this site, and would have no problems requesting PM logs... (and neocodex is just that, a facilitation).

PS, that's no jab at you... I, too, had to do my job when I was a moderator  :thumbdown: 

Or we can keep it just to annoy you. :p

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

also make bone admin plz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users