Quantcast

Photo

TIE-BREAKER: Wild Hair Contest #1

contest photography tie-breaker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Help break the tie for 3rd place! (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Which entry do you like best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

:wub:  THEME:  "What makes you TRULY happy?"    :wub:

TIE-BREAKER VOTING STARTS: NOW!

HOW TO VOTE: For anyone OTHER THAN yourself (sorry!)

VOTING ENDS:  6:00 PM NST Wednesday, November 27th

VOTE FOR ONE OF THE THREE 3rd-PLACE TIES:

(PLEASE NOTE that this contest DOESN'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HAIR; also, I had to resize several of the entries slightly to fit the guidelines...hope you don't mind!)

Spoiler

First Place PRIZE: $10 NC card code (courtesy of me!)

packages-0883974001343793150.png

Second Place PRIZE: Magical Pirate Krawk Plushie (courtesy of Musician!)

plu_krawk_magical_pirate.gif

In addition, my attempt at TROPHIES for the Top 3 Places is as follows:

2qdbo02.jpg2vwsopf.pngvnjyix.png

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Eight should win.
One should come second.
Seven should come last.

That's how it should go.

That is not how it will go.

#3 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not sure what 3 is but as an alcoholic I guess I'll slide toward 2 by default. And we all know who voted for 1

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Side note, shouldn't the poll be public again?

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

#8 has a weird lighting thing going on that bothers me. The foreground is too dark for the background.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

#8 has a weird lighting thing going on that bothers me. The foreground is too dark for the background.

Both seven and eight are underexposed. The effect is more noticeable in the photo of the camera, because of the dark subject and the back lighting, but I feel like it works in context.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Both seven and eight are underexposed. The effect is more noticeable in the photo of the camera, because of the dark subject and the back lighting.

I agree with this. #1 makes me feel like I should be a fairy.

#8 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Not sure what 3 is but as an alcoholic I guess I'll slide toward 2 by default. And we all know who voted for 1

Not sure what three is? Looks like a camera to me. 

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

#1 makes me feel like the photographer should have used a wider aperture. Or taken a step backwards.

#10 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Not sure what three is? Looks like a camera to me. 

but where is the rest of the phone?

#11 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is such a difficult decision!!

I ADORE Hello Kitty but hate alcohol, and mushrooms are good, but the photo is kind of plain (I'm biased towards edits and filters hehe).

#8 is pretty, but the background choice could've been better I think.

-nulls vote for now-

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

#1 makes me feel like the photographer should have used a wider aperture. Or taken a step backwards.

...to make the background softer or?

#13 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Side note, shouldn't the poll be public again?

Did I do something wrong with a setting? My apologies if so (I am very new to the poll thing here)...please let me know what to do to fix things if possible.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

...to make the background softer or?

The wider aperture would narrow the depth of field and help focus the view on the centre mushroom, which I assume was meant to be the focus of the shot. Depending on the lens available, this might work.

Stepping back would reframe, and hopefully get the whole cluster in frame, which might look better depending on the surroundings.

If neither of these things were possible, the submitter should have chosen a different photograph entirely :p

Did I do something wrong with a setting? My apologies if so (I am very new to the poll thing here)...please let me know what to do to fix things if possible.

Yes, you did not make the poll public.

You should be able to edit the post and find the little check box inside the poll settings.

#15 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I am really hoping that the winner of this contest will carry on and refine the first one...as I would SO love to be able to vote but of course am not, since I am hosting it. :) If no one else wants to host it, then I will of course run it again, but it will definitely be refined as based upon the suggestions and helpful critiques provided during this first run.

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

#1 looked like it was taken underwater until I looked closely. It may just be the lighting. 

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

All this enthusiasm for voting for who gets 3rd place...

...too bad we weren't this interested in 1st and 2nd. :/

#18 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yes, you did not make the poll public.

You should be able to edit the post and find the little check box inside the poll settings.

Darn it, I guess I super messed up starting this...and there are enough votes by now that I am hesitant to just re-start the poll: the only setting I see available to change now is whether to allow multiple votes, nothing about public versus private.

#19 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Darn it, I guess I super messed up starting this...and there are enough votes by now that I am hesitant to just re-start the poll: the only setting I see available to change now is whether to allow multiple votes, nothing about public versus private.

I don't think it matters that much :p  It's just a tiebreaker poll so no need to be hard on yourself. 

#20 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

You have to delete the current poll and then set it for Public with the next one.

#21 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

You have to delete the current poll and then set it for Public with the next one.

Yes, but that would delete all of the current votes.

#22 Nadrak

Nadrak
  • 101 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Because... Teemo for the win :D (joke, teemo sucks!, or not, hmm)

Edited by Nadrak, 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Eh, it doesn't matter. We'll just roll with the honor system this time :p It's only for third place, after all.

#24 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Eh, it doesn't matter. We'll just roll with the honor system this time :p It's only for third place, after all.

It's always fun to see who votes for which entry (I personally enjoy seeing that tremendously!), but I can assure you that the poll is at least set for one vote per account. I'm sorry and will not make this error again regarding public vs. private polls. Third place though, hey that is a PLACE...nothing to scoff at in the least!

(EDIT): What I see when trying to edit the poll is as follows, thus I cannot make it public now (which in retrospectively considering it is a good thing for respecting privacy, as in what if it was a sensitive poll that was not intended to be public to begin with?)...

2aag21j.jpg

Edited by Kordelia, 26 November 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#25 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

#1 - just one of those nature photos.
#7 - alcohol with hello kitty logos. i find the subject really interesting because of the contrast.
#8 - just a camera. i prefer it being shot from a different angle and in a different setting.

#7 gets my vote.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, photography, tie-breaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users