• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

NeoCodex is undergoing a lot of changes. One of which is the staff cleaning up the outdated threads and updating them with current information. With that said, the staff and I are redoing topics like FAQ to update/reword, and remove any traces of iargue in NeoCodex oops. As you can see from the previous FAQ, outdated information remains such as the link http://www.neocodex.us/abrosia. I also plan to add a MFAQ (More frequently asked questions, I'll think of a better label later), where the most commonly asked questions are put in a spoiler at the top of page for easy access as well as have them in the long list below.

Instead of only updating information, I would like allow everyone an opportunity to put some input as to what should be added/removed. I already took down notes of my own, but I feel it is more effective if I have more voices to work with. This is your chance to add/remove/edit existing FAQ's so that you can point the newbies/members who needs a refresher on how things are done to the FAQ rather than answering the same questions constantly. Not everything will be added in or written word-for-word, but all inputs are greatly appreciated. 

You may post general ideas, but if you have a specific Q/A in mind, please put it in the form

Q:
A:

Here is the link to the last FAQ as reference:

http://www.neocodex....sked-questions/

With your cooperation, the new FAQ will be done in a week or two. 

#2 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Perhaps clearly state how to get Advanced Membership, Adv + and Retired status and what they do. In my opinion, don't link to any topics about how to get them  just clearly state what they grant and how to obtain them.

If I think of any others, I'll let you all know. :)

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Clean up shitty members

#4 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Clean up shitty members

Welp, I'm out :/

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

BYE BITCH

#6 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Yeesh. Good riddance. 

#7 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

It's okay Strat, I still like you ;) (only cause you're Aussie, mind you)

#8 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

Yay keen for the updates! In regards to rewording the Q/A section, could I make a request that answers are given more clearly as a "Yes, because ____" or "No, because ______" where possible, to keep it simple, and easier to understand.

For example:

Q: Can I run X program with X program?
A: No, because all programs make too many requests to be safely used with other programs, and run a high risk of getting you frozen. 

Or even simpler... (yeah I know my phrasing is bad, sorry).

Q: Can I run two or more programs at the same time?
A: No. Read more here. (and link to another guide or forum post, surely there is one somewhere...)

That's just my two cents. :)

Edited by Nalah, 03 December 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

The questions regarding TC/IRC and who to contact need updating also :p 

#10 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

You folks should clean up the General Chat. Given the amount of active posters in the General Discussion section, is there really a need to separate it into 5 different subforums? Chit-chat was initially introduced so you couldn't get post counts for stupid BS, but since the requirements for advanced have changed, why not just eliminate it?

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

You folks should clean up the General Chat. Given the amount of active posters in the General Discussion section, is there really a need to separate it into 5 different subforums? Chit-chat was initially introduced so you couldn't get post counts for stupid BS, but since the requirements for advanced have changed, why not just eliminate it?

500 posts is still a requirement for Adv+ and if we remove chit-chat we're going to have a lot of useless spam elsewhere from new users trying to reach 500 posts.

#12 sarcastiiclove

sarcastiiclove
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Perhaps clearly state how to get Advanced Membership, Adv + and Retired status and what they do. In my opinion, don't link to any topics about how to get them  just clearly state what they grant and how to obtain them.

Yeah, seconding these sentiments. Perhaps a "member group break down", talking about what each group entitles, perks, how to obtain, etc. 

#13 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

The questions regarding TC/IRC and who to contact need updating also :p

For the IRC part, the only thing I can think of that you could add is "If you use a standalone client we're #neocodex on chat.freenode.net" but other than that its fine! wait oops I forgot that the chat button's in the community thing now hahaha... And I guess people can contact me if they need help with it ^^ Speaking of IRC dang I should really finish up that guide lmao

Edited by Turnip, 03 December 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#14 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

500 posts is still a requirement for Adv+ and if we remove chit-chat we're going to have a lot of useless spam elsewhere from new users trying to reach 500 posts.

No, it isn't.

#15 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

No, it isn't.

That's what I keep saying! Well, a majority of people are under the impression that it is. Probably somewhere in this clean up and revamping, the rules will be set in stone for all to follow and I can cross this off my list of "Things to Constantly Bitch About".

#16 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

No, it isn't.

Okay well it's SUPPOSED to be. lol 
It seems to get lower and lower every time someone is nominated.

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Okay well it's SUPPOSED to be. lol 
It seems to get lower and lower every time someone is nominated.

Does it actually officially say that anywhere? It's been used as a guideline/precedent, but in practice it's by no means been a requirement.

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Does it actually officially say that anywhere? It's been used as a guideline/precedent, but in practice it's by no means been a requirement.

That's basically what I meant, I should have worded it better. 

Edit: Also, my point still stands. Chit-chat is a necessary evil.

#19 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

That's basically what I meant, I should have worded it better. 

Edit: Also, my point still stands. Chit-chat is a necessary evil.

Even if Chit-chat is deemed necessary, there's still a Debate subforum that's rarely used, a Hardware/software discussion dubforum that hasn't been used in a couple of months now and a jokes + fun stuff subforum that may as well be renamed the Hydrogen XKCD subforum.

#20 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'll be updating my FAQ draft tonight so if you have anymore input, please post them now. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

#21 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

This project will most likely be done after the 19th. The next week is my finals week. 

However, please keep posting ideas/PM them to me :)

#22 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Just skimming the current FAQ, I'd update the "How do I become a Beta Tester?," and "What programs are currently not working?" The latter question probably doesn't belong anyway.

I also agree with this:

When I'm at home, I'll be more thorough and offer more input regarding how to better / make a new FAQ.

Edited by L33T, 12 December 2013 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users