Quantcast

Photo

What do you look for in a browser game, in Neopets and others? What keeps you coming back?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Let's say, hypothetically, there was a browser game that was based on a cross between a dungeon crawler and a crafting game. What kind of player interactivity would interest you? What kind of end-game content would motivate?

Currently, dungeon runs would, hypothetically, be competitive by time, damage and defence. There might, perhaps, be collectables to... collect, and an avatar/base to decorate and upgrade.

Let's have some opinions ^_^

#2 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Whether or not it's easily bott-able is a big seller for my interest...  :p

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Whether or not it's easily bott-able is a big seller for my interest...  :p

Oh, boo :p
I think most browser games are fairly bottable ;) Especially if the owner doesn't care to implement any measures to stop them xD

#4 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Updated often (not daily, monthly updates work), collectables, possible rewards for doing things, bot-able. And that's all I can think of right now. Oh and some stupid whiny users so I can laugh at them when they complain about tiny things and then get silenced/banned. 

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Updated often (not daily, monthly updates work), collectables, possible rewards for doing things, bot-able. And that's all I can think of right now. Oh and some stupid whiny users so I can laugh at them when they complain about tiny things and then get silenced/banned.

All that seems to be covered ^_^

#6 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Devoted developers / support teams, competition, collection oppurtunities, challenges, emphasis on plot / activity.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

competition, collection oppurtunities, challenges, emphasis on plot / activity.

Could you be a little more specific?

#8 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

The last browser game i played was lost power city back when there was a subforum for it on here. I liked that one cause everyone seemed to have each others backs, like i'd get my ass killed then someone else from the codex gang we had would go fuck them up as revenge. We'd all be in one gang which we could actually do without fear of being frozen lol. I haven't played neopets in bear years but from my understanding it's pretty much a solo game here, gotta keep all your details secret from each other, can't be in the same clans, can't talk to each other... etc.

#9 flea

flea
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

i like broswer games that are edutaining.. languages, mathematics, stuff that develops my skills in some way

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

The last browser game i played was lost power city back when there was a subforum for it on here. I liked that one cause everyone seemed to have each others backs, like i'd get my ass killed then someone else from the codex gang we had would go fuck them up as revenge. We'd all be in one gang which we could actually do without fear of being frozen lol. I haven't played neopets in bear years but from my understanding it's pretty much a solo game here, gotta keep all your details secret from each other, can't be in the same clans, can't talk to each other... etc.

I remember LPC. I don't think there's going to be direct player combat in the game, though, so I don't know how clans/guilds would really work. It's not impossible that I could implement direct interaction like that, but I'd have no idea where to even begin.

If I remember right, LPC would have you attack a player, and the combat would be resolved automatically? It wasn't like an active, online back and forth? That would certainly be easier than the Neopets Battledome kind of model.

#11 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

The biggest thing that motivates me to originally play a game and KEEP playing a game is that my friends play it! So I think a really good game to me has top notch multiplayer capabilities.. like a party system, excellent chat functionality, and plenty of activities to keep us busy ^_^

#12 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I remember LPC. I don't think there's going to be direct player combat in the game, though, so I don't know how clans/guilds would really work. It's not impossible that I could implement direct interaction like that, but I'd have no idea where to even begin.

If I remember right, LPC would have you attack a player, and the combat would be resolved automatically? It wasn't like an active, online back and forth? That would certainly be easier than the Neopets Battledome kind of model.

Oh wait are you making a game? I thought you were looking for new games to try :p. But yeah the combat was just clicking a button until either you or your opponent win, your opponent didn't have to be online for this. It's like if you logged in and found yourself in hospital, it's cause someone killed you while you were offline.

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Oh wait are you making a game? I thought you were looking for new games to try :p. But yeah the combat was just clicking a button until either you or your opponent win, your opponent didn't have to be online for this. It's like if you logged in and found yourself in hospital, it's cause someone killed you while you were offline.

Eh, I'm playing around with it :p It's not really a serious project.

I don't think LPC-style player combat would fit with what I'm building, though. I would like to figure out some way to include direct confrontation... But it'll have to be a ways off.

#14 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Could you be a little more specific?

Competition: Multiple, engaging ways, that challenge all the players in the game to be better than all the rest of them (hundreds of thousands in some cases)

Collection oppurtunities: Achievements, items, points, other currencies

Challenges: Hard, even tedious--but enjoyable--things to keep you occupied and then reward you for the effort

Emphasis on plot / activity: Large plots and activities that can be done solo or with others that reveal new content or expand gameplay

#15 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

a game where I can set goal(s) to attain and it is fun to grind towards that goal(s)

#16 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

a game where I can set goal(s) to attain and it is fun to grind towards that goal(s)

So you like more of a Runescape type game?

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'm a very big fan of browser based games such as Zombie Harvest (PM me if you'd prefer the referral link)

Simple and straightforward.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm a very big fan of browser based games such as Zombie Harvest (PM me if you'd prefer the referral link)

Simple and straightforward.

Please answer the question, if you're going to post.

#19 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I like stat training, an hourly recharge of a fixed amount with a higher numbered cap, ways to increase both of those, and no end game. Some side plot is nice but I want to battle NPCs and PvP without any "end" to it.

#20 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

A game where the admin does nothing and let the raging fantasies of its fanbase make the magic. Basically something heart-wrenching and exciting. 

#21 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

A game where the admin does nothing and let the raging fantasies of its fanbase make the magic. Basically something heart-wrenching and exciting. 

Really? I mean I'd like that too, but I still want to see some structure in terms of administration. Anything opposite of Neopets staff/support basically.

#22 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Really? I mean I'd like that too, but I still want to see some structure in terms of administration. Anything opposite of Neopets staff/support basically.

I guess my statement was a bit extreme, but my point of the fanbase making or breaking the game is still the key. If I had to revise my expectations for such a game, it would must captivate and compel a large userbase though a universal need found in a fantasy world (like how virtual pets is a pseudo-substitution for control in real life).

#23 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I guess my statement was a bit extreme, but my point of the fanbase making or breaking the game is still the key. If I had to revise my expectations for such a game, it would must captivate and compel a large userbase though a universal need found in a fantasy world (like how virtual pets is a pseudo-substitution for control in real life).

Alright yeah, I could get on board with that, definitely. A game with too much structure, and things become constricted. A game with too little structure, and things fall apart. However, with just the right balance.. ;)

#24 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

The biggest thing that motivates me to originally play a game and KEEP playing a game is that my friends play it! So I think a really good game to me has top notch multiplayer capabilities.. like a party system, excellent chat functionality, and plenty of activities to keep us busy ^_^

This^^

The last two browser games I really played were Runescape and Tribal wars. RS's combat and skilling system seems to work really well and is quite fun but you could try a Tribal Wars style approach where it takes a certain amount of time to build aspects of you village and research units and what not. (Just incorporate that into a dungeon theme?)

Hope this makes sense and if not I will be happy to elaborate. :p

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

it [sic] must captivate and compel a large userbase though a universal need found in a fantasy world

That's uselessly vague.

The last two browser games I really played were Runescape and Tribal wars. RS's combat and skilling system seems to work really well and is quite fun but you could try a Tribal Wars style approach where it takes a certain amount of time to build aspects of you village and research units and what not. (Just incorporate that into a dungeon theme?)

I don't want to use "real time" as a resource, because I don't like the idea of down-time in browser games. I want to be able to log in at any time during the day and do what I can in the time I have - not feel pressured to log in for ten minutes every few hours to make the most of the time. The plan is to have some resources that regenerate on a daily tick, and for any unused resources to generate an additional bonus, so not using your full complement isn't a complete waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users