Quantcast

Photo

Modern Day Miracles?

miracles healings hocus pocus science faith

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Modern Day Miracles (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do modern day miracles really happen?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

This is an interesting question that popped up in my religion class at school. Because I go to a Catholic school, its natural that most people in my class sided with the opinion that miracles do actually happen. I am curious to get a relatively less biased poll of what you guys think. Debate. 

#2 MissToad

MissToad
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Why would you think this sample would be less biased? 

#3 Jess

Jess
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9,216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Can you define 'miracle' please?

#4 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

"miracle-a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency."

from google lol. Example: any miraculous healings caused by faith

Why would you think this sample would be less biased? 

more people the better

Edited by nitro, 28 December 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#5 Jess

Jess
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9,216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

"miracle-a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency."[/size]
from google lol. Example: any miraculous healings caused by faith[/size]

Some people have different connotations.

Yes, I believe in miracles. I'd also be the first to admit that I'm not up to date on science though.

#6 MissToad

MissToad
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

No, it does not work that way.  You could ask 5 or 5 thousands attendees at Harry Potter convention who their favorite author is, it would not make your answer any less bias.  The Drudge report can poll  all the people that read their crap, you'd get a highly skewed result that believes that President Obama is born in Kenya is a radical black Christian, is an alien.  Don't mean that  it reflects the feelings of America or reality.   You don't want a larger sample you want a more varied sample reflecting different viewpoints.

I don't know if you've noticed but there are a bunch of people around here that cheat at a kids game, except for Aunt Napiform.   This isn't a nonbiased sample.

#7 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 553 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

In my opinion, I would say yes, for sure. There have been times when I have prayed for stuff like headaches to be 'healed', and I've felt them disappear, and when I asked God for a bus to stop in a precise location for me, and it did that too. Of course, you could see either of those occurrences as coincidences, but for me, I believe it was God, and there is nothing that would ever stop me from believing that. 

#8 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

No, it does not work that way. You could ask 5 or 5 thousands attendees at Harry Potter convention who their favorite author is, it would not make your answer any less bias. The Drudge report can poll all the people that read their crap, you'd get a highly skewed result that believes that President Obama is born in Kenya is a radical black Christian, is an alien. Don't mean that it reflects the feelings of America or reality. You don't want a larger sample you want a more varied sample reflecting different viewpoints.

I don't know if you've noticed but there are a bunch of people around here that cheat at a kids game, except for Aunt Napiform. This isn't a nonbiased sample.

Your analogy would be more correct if this was a poll on the ethics of cheating on Neopets. This is a personal question though, and even though most of us cheat on Neopets, we have different ideas on morality and ethics and miracles. We are diverse people that have a common goal, cheating. That doesn't mean that we all have the same opinion on whether miracles happen or not.

Edited by nitro, 28 December 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#9 Florg

Florg
  • 705 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

"therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency"

Do I believe things happen which we are unable to currently explain? Sure.

Does that mean a divine being is responsible? LOL! No.

#10 MissToad

MissToad
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

First of all, nothing can be "more correct".  Correct is an absolute either you are correct or not.   You might have meant to say more accurate.   That aside, I see it as self evident that people that cheat at a kids game have a statistically significantly different set of values, mores and experience than the general population. 

#11 Torque

Torque
  • 411 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

I only believe in self-made luck. Miracles, in my opinion, are just well timed events.

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Ableist Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4,747 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

"miracle-a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency."

So...you're basically asking us if we believe in a "divine agency"?

#13 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6,350 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

I'm not into those big miracles like where someone is miraculously cured from a disease modern medicine can't even touch or a sea is parted into two. I'm more of a believer of small everyday miracles that I find convenient or encouraging like a class being cancelled when I didn't finish the paper or when I got out of the highway before a traffic jam occurred. In terms of the definition given, I wouldn't say it's a higher deity's doing, but just pleasurable coincidences at most because I have extreme bias in what I consider to be a "true" reality.

That aside, I see it as self evident that people that cheat at a kids game have a statistically significantly different set of values, mores and experience than the general population. 

awesome. Now, what's your opinion on the actual topic of miracles?

#14 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

So...you're basically asking us if we believe in a "divine agency"?

Hmm maybe. Or if there are forces beyond what science can explain if you don't like divine entities. Like near death experiences. They aren't necessarily caused by faith in a deity, but science certainly can't explain it fully.

I only believe in self-made luck. Miracles, in my opinion, are just well timed events.

What about miraculous healings? Is fourth stage cancer disappearing simply good timing? How about bear death experiences? I don't think miracles are just about timing (although you are very free to debate that issue).

#15 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 553 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Luck and miracles are different though. I do agree with you about making your own luck though, as it is often the product of hard work and effort.

#16 Romy

Romy

• 4,747 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hmm maybe. Or if there are forces beyond what science can explain if you don't like divine entities. Like near death experiences. They aren't necessarily caused by faith in a deity, but science certainly can't explain it fully.

Just because science can't explain something fully doesn't mean it's divine or supernatural.

We don't fully understand black holes but you don't see people worshiping them.

Your analogy would be more correct if this was a poll on the ethics of cheating on Neopets. This is a personal question though, and even though most of us cheat on Neopets, we have different ideas on morality and ethics and miracles. We are diverse people that have a common goal, cheating. That doesn't mean that we all have the same opinion on whether miracles happen or not.

ALL CHEATERS ON NEOPETS WORSHIP THE DEVIL.

#17 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

I believe in miracles because I like to gravitate towards things that make me happy, and to me, ignorance is bliss. :3

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Do I believe things happen which we are unable to currently explain? Sure.

Does that mean a divine being is responsible? LOL! No.

Pretty much this for me. Of course there are things which happen which we don't yet understand because we aren't omniscient but it seems a bit of a reach to assign that to any kind of deity.

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1,097 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

Believing in miracles is just people taking their anthropocentric arrogance to the extreme, whether large miracles or small.

It baffles me how thousands of people can die every day from horrifying disease, yet people can sit back and actually believe that the creator of the universe adjusted his divine plan because they prayed for their headache to go away.

It's idiotic.

#20 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4,626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

I believe in "magic", not miracles.

We make things happen ourselves. By projecting our energy through thought (or prayer, for most people) we affect events, our surroundings, even other people's actions.

A lot of this has to do with putting ourselves in the mental state to receive what it is we are looking for to begin with. Someone who wishes people were nicer to them might feel like everyone is mean to them all the time because they are simply focusing on the negative. By shifting focus to the positive, their entire outlook can change.

Also, by focusing our thoughts on what we want, we inspire ourselves into action. I think people assign divine providence to events that they have made to happen themselves through mental preparation and subsequent action.

#21 Kate

Kate
  • 🐟🐳

• 7,366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

I guess I have never really associated miracles with religion or divine beings.
I just defined miracles as a wonderful, life changing turn of events. Not exactly a cured headache lol.

#22 MissToad

MissToad
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

A "bear death experience".

My father talks about his near bear experience.  After my sister's mother died giving birth, he went walking from Pennsylvania to Florida.  Three months into the journey he had a near bear experience. 

Ivysore, I didn't say that neocodex means Satinworshipping,  I am just stating the obvious and unarguable fact that people who available themselves of an unfair advantage do not represent a truly balanced slice of human experience.  No more than asking people in Catholic school or Foxnewslosers is an unbiased sample.

I've been told when you can't argue with the truth you must mock the messenger.

#23 Kate

Kate
  • 🐟🐳

• 7,366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Are you sure you're not Coltom?

#24 Romy

Romy

• 4,747 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

A "bear death experience".

My father talks about his near bear experience.  After my sister's mother died giving birth, he went walking from Pennsylvania to Florida.  Three months into the journey he had a near bear experience. 

Ivysore, I didn't say that neocodex means Satinworshipping,  I am just stating the obvious and unarguable fact that people who available themselves of an unfair advantage do not represent a truly balanced slice of human experience.  No more than asking people in Catholic school or Foxnewslosers is an unbiased sample.

I've been told when you can't argue with the truth you must mock the messenger.

In this particular instance, truth is relative.

Just because this is a cheating forum doesn't give you the right to assume that any of us are morally flawed. Comparing this particular group of people to a  Catholic school (religious association) or to Fox (conservative news group) is a really poor comparison since we represent an extremely large group of people with varying characteristics.

#25 MissToad

MissToad
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ivysaur are you trying to defend the idea that people that use these programs on a children's game give a fair sample of the population?  I'm just a kid and I know better than that.

If you object to being compared to a sampling of foxnew viewers, considering that they are the majority of the population and you are the minority?   I do not see what coherent argument that you are trying to make.

However if you object to my mention of Foxnew or the Catholic Church well I am still pretty lost.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miracles, healings, hocus pocus, science, faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users