• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

Hello. As the title suggests, in this thread I'd like to discuss the "Cicada" phenomena.

Until recently I was entirely ignorant of this fascinating occurrence. But I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago (God bless public media!) and they had a segment on the first and second rounds.

The concept piqued my interest: anonymously post elaborate and increasingly difficult cryptographic challenges on the internet. The purpose is even more fascinating, as it is not yet known. If you're still lost, read here for more info.

I haven't dug very far into the scene, or even the puzzles, and I don't know how far I would get with a layman's understanding of cryptanalysis, but I'm determined to at least read the (public) decrypts and work towards an understanding of what they're trying to bring out with these tests.

I have a peculiar relationship with tests. I can usually see the purpose of the question before I know the right answer. The two are not even remotely the same thing. I think the Cicada group relies heavily on this aspect of testing, and I likewise think that many laymen and even expert cryptanalysts may not know which attributes the Cicada group is looking for, or indeed how badly they're being played.

These guys, whoever they are, either have some serious firepower on their side, or some seriously scary free time.

Discuss, or admit your ignorance. :p

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

It's something which intrigues me but I would only get so far as changing the contrast on the first image and then I'd be stuck. xD

#3 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, as a solver I don't think I'd have much success. I'm more interested in their motivations.

One theory that caught my eye was the possibility that it's all an elaborate "trailhead" or "rabbithole" for an ARG. I had never heard of these until I looked into Cicada, and it's almost as fascinating to me as the cryptology bit.

That'd be some fucking game if it were. But then again, the ARG motto is TINAG.

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, as a solver I don't think I'd have much success. I'm more interested in their motivations.

One theory that caught my eye was the possibility that it's all an elaborate "trailhead" or "rabbithole" for an ARG. I had never heard of these until I looked into Cicada, and it's almost as fascinating to me as the cryptology bit.

That'd be some fucking game if it were. But then again, the ARG motto is TINAG.

It would probably be a good way for the security services to recruit some very talented individuals. :p I don't think anybody even knows anything about who runs the whole thing yet.

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

Coincidentally I recently read this, which I'd definitely recommend. It's old but really started to help me understand some aspects of cryptanalysis that I couldn't quite grasp before.

I hadn't heard of Cicada until this post... Sounds interesting, but I'm sure it's over all of our heads...

#6 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

I read a thread on this on Reddit a few weeks back. It's a really cool concept, but I don't think I'd ever have the patience to solve the puzzles. Would love to see who's behind all of this though.

On another note, I would really like to participate in an ARG but they're rare.

#7 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I don't know anything about this particularly but making puzzles is almost always easier than solving them. xp However, you're probably talking about how elaborate hints are released when you say they have "some seriously scary free time". Sadly the wikipedia article doesn't reveal much about the clues. I know a bit about cryptography but it won't get me very far.

Reminds me a bit of the internet puzzle notpr0n where you have to use the hints given and try to guess the address of the next level. Of course Cicada is made to be a lot harder :p

Edit: Read part of the uncovering Cicada Wiki and it's very intriguing. Really gives off a mystery-novel-secret-agent sort of vibe when reading. Must be cool participating in the group, one person alone isn't going to solve it anyway. The part where they bruteforced the RSA key was cute.

Edited by Eefi, 17 January 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#8 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

It's something which intrigues me but I would only get so far as changing the contrast on the first image and then I'd be stuck. xD

This pretty much sums it up for me.
There's an Extra Credits episode on ARGs, if anyone's interested.

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

I remember playing the Heroes ARG for a while, but only until it started requiring phone calls. All the numbers were American. I didn't lie it enough to pay international rates :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: args, cryptography, scary, cool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users