Quantcast

Photo

Assigning seperate public IP addresses to multiple Virtual Machines?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JackiRated

JackiRated
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Alrite guys,

Another thought came to me and i was unsure if it is a good idea or even possible.

I use oracles virtual box to run a couple of XP VMS i spun up for a different reason and it made me think about using them for different shell accounts,

Problem being that they would surely all have the same public IP address as the host, right?

So my question is, without the use of a proxy or a VPN on the VM's is it possible to configure them to show up different public ip addresses?

If so, is it a good idea?

Any in put would be good.

Cheers guys and girls.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

If the VM is running on your local machine, it will share the public (WAN) IP address of the host. All of the internet traffic is going through the same network interface that the host is using (ie. router, ethernet card, etc.), and your ISP associates the network interface to an IP address.

I don't see any benefits, networking-wise. :p

Some people may use VMs to isolate accounts' cookie information from each other, so they don't have to logout/login to switch shells, or accidentally link accounts together with cookie information.

#3 JackiRated

JackiRated
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Cheers guys sorry late reply i have been sleeping.

well i guess ill abandon the idea, would of been cool if you could of assigned them differently!

Networking gives me a headache :unsure:

#4 Meic

Meic
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

You can't separate different public IPs to different virtual machines. However, there are features that let you forward ports from the VM to your host machine as it's primary machine (for example, a web server on port 80, with the port forwarded, will let you access it from your front facing IP on port 80)

#5 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Can't you use VPNs on virtual machines?

Wouldn't that remedy the situation?

#6 Meic

Meic
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Can't you use VPNs on virtual machines?

Wouldn't that remedy the situation?

It would depend on the configuration of the VPN - does it give an outside-facing IP or just an internal network IP (typically the latter).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users