Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I found some interesting statistics: http://www.rehabs.co...s/#.Uu1u7fldWSq

It has a lot of interesting graphics - some of which you can find here: 

Spoiler

My school is in the top 10 for drugs, and in the top 20 for Alcohol and Drugs arrests per 1,000 students  <_<

So I was wondering:

- Do you think it's a problem? 

- Should some schools consider harsher punishment for alcohol and drug related arrests? 

My school currently has a 'three strikes' policy - though they may have gotten rid of that recently. I'm not entirely sure. I think it just depends on the offense. I've gotten in trouble once, and my punishment was a $100 fee and an hour long drug and alcohol class. However, seems like the jail here gets filled up every weekend with college students. I'm not sure if harsher punishments would even fix it, but our punishments don't even seem very harsh. Some people get kicked out of housing, but they just move in nearby and continue what they're doing. 

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I don't think it is a problem. For a lot of people, college or university is the only time they have been away from their parents for any length of time - testing their limits is to be expected.

It should be encouraged in a safe manner. Harsher punishments don't do this, instead encouraging people to more secretive about their activities, which makes them more dangerous. Better education, better pastoral care and fewer penalties are what is necessary.

In my opinion.

john-belushi.jpg

This is the debate section. Images do not contribute, please do not post like that here.
Thanks.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

SUNY Oneonta for most drug arrest. Of course. I thought my friend who goes there was bullshitting me. I'm convinced.

My school isn't listed at any of the above. But then again, my school only has a student body of 4000 residents and 2000 commuters. Six arrests of anything seem like nothing compared to schools with 30,000+ students. 

- Do you think it's a problem? 

In my school, getting arrested doesn't seem to be a problem because people are smart about underaged drinking and smoking weed/drugs. Being an RA in the past, our policy about underaged drinking is that if you're a minor with a roommate older than 21, you're not allowed to drink. However, there is a widely accepted exception where if you're a minor and you drink with the doors closed, then as RA's, we can't charge into your room without any proof. But then again, the loud music 2AM in the morning and a locked door pretty much means you're drinking and I have to check everyone's ID. As for the drug policy, we have zero tolerance, but people are smart and smoke/inject/what have you out in the woods near the apple orchards where our campus policy doesn't hold. There were a few cases in the residence halls (not my building, I had the chill (intelligible) art students) where the housing department kicked people off. Considering the bars in town, there weren't many cases at all. On the top of my head, I only remember only 4 cases of dangerous alcoholic behavior in the last 4 years. There were a lot of bar raids, mostly because the taverns can't keep their shit together in the early morning.

To answer the actual question, it is a problem, but it can't be easily fixed. People like to get drunk and high in general and the best we can do is to reduce casualties.

- Should some schools consider harsher punishment for alcohol and drug related arrests? 

It depends on the school's mentality. Some schools should. Some schools should just stick with their drug policy because maybe drug/alcohol reports are too few to be an issue. But other schools, they should be stricter. During a conference, I talked with another school known for their top-league football team and one of the students told me a scandal where a student been caught with marijuana/crack (I forgot which) on 4 occasions in three years with 2 being caught in the act. That student was the star runningback. If he went to my school, his ass would be dropped in the pits of hell just for being caught the first time. 

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

The over 21 drinking law is possibly one of the most stupidest things about America.

Have sex? Fine
Have a baby? Fine
Drive a car/bike? Fine
Get married? Fine
Join the army? Fine
Smoke cigarettes? Fine
Buy a gun? Fine
Get a house? Fine

Drink a beer? HELL NO MUTHAFUCKER.

I mean seriously, it's expected for students to be poor because they spend all their time and money on soft drugs and booze. I mean you're getting into tens of thousands of debt so you may as well enjoy.

The only problem is Americas stance to intoxication issues.

#5 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

SUNY Oneonta for most drug arrest. Of course. I thought my friend who goes there was bullshitting me. I'm convinced.

My school isn't listed at any of the above. But then again, my school only has a student body of 4000 residents and 2000 commuters. Six arrests of anything seem like nothing compared to schools with 30,000+ students. 

My school has 10,000 students and we're still in the top 10 for drugs and top 20 for drugs and alcohol related arrests. Oh lord. Usually, students here don't get kicked out after the first offense - even if they're caught selling so I supposed we're not very harsh. There are students who have had multiple DUI arrests and are still allowed to go to the school. 

I don't think it is a problem. For a lot of people, college or university is the only time they have been away from their parents for any length of time - testing their limits is to be expected.

It should be encouraged in a safe manner. Harsher punishments don't do this, instead encouraging people to more secretive about their activities, which makes them more dangerous. Better education, better pastoral care and fewer penalties are what is necessary.

In my opinion.

I agree. Some people tend to go a little wild because they're away from their parents. I know I did my freshman year. Problem with my school is that people tend to think it's a party school and that you don't have to focus on your grades. I know WAY too many people who have failed, are on academic probation, who have been in school for more than four years (which isn't necessarily bad for some, but it is if you're still here because you've failed too many times). It's just kind of ridiculous how little some people care for their education. 

Like I said, my school isn't very harsh, but we do still have a few weird rules. We just recently allowed people to drink during sports tailgates, but we still don't allow drinking in the stadium.

#6 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

i need to try these things, seriously. i'm 22 this year and never smoke a cigarette, drink alcohol and do drugs. fml!

Edited by Stuck, 01 February 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

i need to try these things, seriously. i'm 22 this year and never smoke a cigarette, drink alcohol and do drugs. fml!

I'm 22. I've drank and smoked weed.

You're missing nothing.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

...you're 21?

#9 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

...you're 21?

22 based on year.

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

22 based on year.

The question of your age does not require a qualifier. If you have not yet had your birthday this year, you are 21. Is this the case?

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

The question of your age does not require a qualifier. If you have not yet had your birthday this year, you are 21. Is this the case?

fine, you win.

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

fine, you win.

Naturally.

#13 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

I think statistics like these generally reflect greater efforts at enforcement rather than higher levels of drug use.

Obviously there have to be people stupid enough for the police to catch in the first place, but I think it's generally accepted that a percentage of the students at any institution are going to be using some sort of drugs.

I mean, if you're going to Wharton or the Webb Institute, it's unlikely that you're the kind of person who could relax long enough to smoke a joint. But general purpose universities with incoming freshman classes in the thousands are going to see this problem continue, regardless of enforcement measures.

#14 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

I am really surprise to see number 48, UC Berkeley  :o

#15 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

Makes me wonder if my uni has any regulations about it. But my guess is it's something along the lines of "don't break federal law".

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I think that the adderall research is pretty interesting.

Spoiler

The first two represent the Google searches for Adderall and when they spike. I think it's almost kind of disturbing that they spike around finals.  

The last one shows how the Google searches for Adderall compare over the years. Of course, they've gone up a bit over the past four years - once again, around finals time. 

I'm not innocent. I've taken vyvanse (treats ADHD), but I know that I will never take it again. Not worth it. Besides, I didn't really get anything done. If anything, it made me do everything except my work at hyper speed. The drinking part doesn't really affect me - mainly because I'm 21, but also because I don't like to drink to the point where I no longer feel in control. I got all of that over with freshman and sophomore year, and it doesn't really interest me anymore. Not saying I won't ever get drunk again, but I won't drink how I used to. I've also smoked weed, and I'm pretty much done with that too. 

However, I know tons of people at my school who casually do cocaine/molly/other hard drugs, drink until they're blackout, and take pills. It's insane. You could approach almost anyone at my school and ask if they know anyone who sells what you're looking for and they will. Hell, there are students who smoke weed/spice ON campus right outside of the buildings where classes are being held. 

Edited by Emily, 02 February 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#17 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

However, I know tons of people at my school who casually do cocaine/molly/other hard drugs, drink until they're blackout, and take pills. It's insane. You could approach almost anyone at my school and ask if they know anyone who sells what you're looking for and they will. Hell, there are students who smoke weed/spice ON campus right outside of the buildings where classes are being held. 

And they are university or collage students? 

#18 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

And they are university or collage students? 

University. About 10,000 students I believe, but it's pretty expensive for out of state (about 36k a year and more than half the students are out-of-state) so it kind of seems like a waste of money to me considering how many end up skipping class everyday and failing.

#19 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

University. About 10,000 students I believe, but it's pretty expensive for out of state (about 36k a year and more than half the students are out-of-state) so it kind of seems like a waste of money to me considering how many end up skipping class everyday and failing.

from your profile, i see your university is in South Carolina, what university are you going to? I am in my grade 12 last year of high school in Canada and I am nervous about my future university hahah

Edited by Best, 03 February 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#20 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

from your profile, i see your university is in South Carolina, what university are you going to? I am in my grade 12 last year of high school in Canada and I am nervous about my future university hahah

I'm a junior at Coastal Carolina U. Don't be nervous :p I was nervous too but it worked out just fine. 

#21 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I'm a junior at Coastal Carolina U. Don't be nervous :p I was nervous too but it worked out just fine. 

Thanks :) I don't know where am i gonna go yet :D But I am excited

#22 PoorCollegeStudent

PoorCollegeStudent
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Regardless of the punishment, college students who want to drink and do drugs will find a way somehow. Period. I don't think it's a problem simply because college students will be college students, and no amount of prohibition will eliminate bad decisions. ;)

#23 best

best
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Regardless of the punishment, college students who want to drink and do drugs will find a way somehow. Period. I don't think it's a problem simply because college students will be college students, and no amount of prohibition will eliminate bad decisions. ;)

It's funny you are replying to this topic because of your username

#24 PoorCollegeStudent

PoorCollegeStudent
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

It's funny you are replying to this topic because of your username

Exactly ;) insider information...

#25 Dance

Dance
  • 106 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

In my opinion, college is one of the safest times that people can experiment with drinking/drugs. Most students don't drive to parties and a lot of college parties tend to be in the same dorm buildings that the students live in. I don't think it's possible for people to stop students from experimenting, it's too easy to circumvent, so colleges should focus on providing transportation for inebriated students or focusing on the safety of the students themselves.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: college, drinking, drugs, statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users