Quantcast

Photo

What kind of forum awards do you want, if any?

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

Poll: Icons! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of award icons would you like to see?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

The idea of adding forum awards has been circulating for a while, now. Awards are little images that would be displayed underneath your avatar somewhere, and would be given to you for achieving certain things. There are a few different styles of award system, separated by the style of icon.

First, the MapleTowers style:
Spoiler
(Please note, I am a former admin on MT, so I have my own permission to borrow these for demonstration purposes).

The second style would be like Neopets avatars, but awarded for similar things as above:
Spoiler

My preference is the MapleTowers take. They look cleaner, more like awards, and more can fit under your avatar. The 50x50 ones work fine as actual avatar awards, as on Neopets, but as a separate system they are too clunky and chunky. In my opinion, anywho.
We can also implement awards for the Contest Team's endeavours, SOTW, post count, trading, Codex events, public holidays... even secret methods. It should be a fun time, and we should kick it into gear. Let's go, people, let's do this shit. Yeah!

Perhaps, though, you have an even better idea? Do share, because lord knows we need some fresh eyes on this place.

Or maybe you think the whole idea is dumb. Post why, you miserable fucks.

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

I really like the first example as well. I like both but I prefer the MapleTowers style ones because they're cleaner, smaller, as you said can fit nicely in our sidebars, and finally the Neopet's style ones are too similar to a competitor forum. We need to have some sort of originality right?

I like the idea of milestone awards. Post count, registered x amount of years, x amount of guides, participants of this contest/event or that, etc. 

#3 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

I think neither icons really fit to the userbars.

And as a regular member there are plenty of user ranks to work towards to. ^^; Now that also contest winners get userbars and the private rank already planned, are awards necessary?

But well, I can see how a retired member would like some new achievements xp

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

And as a regular member there are plenty of user ranks to work towards to. ^^; Now that also contest winners get userbars and the private rank already planned, are awards necessary?

There aren't going to be userbars for anything more than what there is now. 
Awards can be for all sorts of things, easy, medium, and difficult things. I'm not a retired member and I would love to have something like this. It gives people goals to work towards and incentive to be more active in the community...

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

I don't follow your meaning. Are you saying they don't fit the style of the userbars? Because both of those sets of images are just examples of the size, and (for the MT set) a rough implementation. If we decided to style them the same, we could do that.
Easily.

Are there "plenty", though? I see three. Advanced+, Private and Retired. Maybe Jr Programmer, for you. Those things don't reward you for participating in contests, or site events, or graphics, or guide writing...

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

I also think a SOTW/MOTM champ award would be better than a userbar for it. 

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

I also think a SOTW/MOTM champ award would be better than a userbar for it.

*sage nod*

@Tubbz, please post your reasons for voting ^_^

#8 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

I don't follow your meaning. Are you saying they don't fit the style of the userbars? Because both of those sets of images are just examples of the size, and (for the MT set) a rough implementation. If we decided to style them the same, we could do that.
Easily.

Yes, I meant style. If we're just talking about style, I think the size of the MT icons is appropriate.

Are there "plenty", though? I see three. Advanced+, Private and Retired. Maybe Jr Programmer, for you. Those things don't reward you for participating in contests, or site events, or graphics, or guide writing...

Three is not plenty but it will take a long while to get there for a normal member. Okay, I get your point though. It's to encourage participation in special activities in the forums instead of overall good behavior (which is covered by the existing user rank promotions).

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

I'm pretty sure they could be placed in the signature area instead of under the userbars, so I wouldn't worry about how things look against the userbars or with the profile pics right now.

#10 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'm pretty sure they could be placed in the signature area instead of under the userbars, so I wouldn't worry about how things look against the userbars or with the profile pics right now.

Also like Sweeney said, they can be made to sort of fit the current userbars too. The ones he posted in the OP are just examples of size/style. :p

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yes, I meant style. If we're just talking about style, I think the size of the MT icons is appropriate.

Three is not plenty but it will take a long while to get there for a normal member. Okay, I get your point though. It's to encourage participation in special activities in the forums instead of overall good behavior (which is covered by the existing user rank promotions).

^_^

If the userbars take a long time to aquire (which Adv+ really doesn't, but still), then having more minor, intermediate motivators can only be a good thing. Awards should fill this role.

#12 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

Oh I very much like the first ones :) Also the idea of milestones as Kate mentioned is great  :wub:

#13 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

The smaller ones go better, and they should definitely be placed under the user bars, think: pokemon gym badges.

comparison.gif

Putting them in signatures would be very irritating - most signatures are too big anyway, really.

#14 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

The smaller ones go better, and they should definitely be placed under the user bars, think: pokemon gym badges.

comparison.gif

Putting them in signatures would be very irritating - most signatures are too big anyway, really.

I'd definitely prefer to see them under our userbars too. It looks more official that way, right?
If we put them in sigs, well people could claim any award they wanted without actually earning it, lol. 

#15 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

My main reason for voting the way I did is to limit the clutter. If you only have 2 user bars, and 2 forum awards able to be displayed, it won't look as cluttered as some of the other sites that have several different user titles and pages of awards.

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'd definitely prefer to see them under our userbars too. It looks more official that way, right?
If we put them in sigs, well people could claim any award they wanted without actually earning it, lol.

Oh lord. They'd not be going in signatures. They'd be awarded with a forum extension, and definitely go somewhere in the side box.

Personally, I think they'd look best between the member title and the userbars, rather than under the bars.

My main reason for voting the way I did is to limit the clutter. If you only have 2 user bars, and 2 forum awards able to be displayed, it won't look as cluttered as some of the other sites that have several different user titles and pages of awards.

That's fair enough. I don't think a single row of either would necessarily look more cluttered than the other. So, I'd rather see more awards in that row than fewer.

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

No, I don't think that's how they'd work in signatures. There's one of those plugin thingies that gives the mods power to put them in signatures instead of on the side. It wouldn't be people putting them in however they want.

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

No, I don't think that's how they'd work in signatures. There's one of those plugin thingies that gives the mods power to put them in signatures instead of on the side. It wouldn't be people putting them in however they want.

That's neat and all but I think they'd look waaay better on the side. That's just me though. 

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Sidebar is for official stuff. Signatures are for user-entered stuff.

#20 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hmm...I don't know. I like how clean and minimalistic Neocodex looks compared to other forums, and I worry that adding more crap the sidebars is going to look tacky. I'm not opposed to the idea of having forum awards in general, just not sure if I want to have to look at them all the time.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hmm...I don't know. I like how clean and minimalistic Neocodex looks compared to other forums, and I worry that adding more crap the sidebars is going to look tacky. I'm not opposed to the idea of having forum awards in general, just not sure if I want to have to look at them all the time.

That's fair. We might be able to make them toggleable, in the same way you can hide everyone's signatures.

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

That's fair. We might be able to make them toggleable, in the same way you can hide everyone's signatures.

I imagine that would be possible.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

I imagine that would be possible.

Well, I know it'd be possible. It's more a matter of whether anyone wants to actually make it happen :p

#24 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

I like both, but voted for the larger ones because they are more visible.

#25 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well, I know it'd be possible. It's more a matter of whether anyone wants to actually make it happen :p

Probably best to try to make the rest of it happen first otherwise there wouldn't be much to toggle. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users