Quantcast

Photo

What kind of forum awards do you want, if any?

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

Poll: Icons! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of award icons would you like to see?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

I like both, but voted for the larger ones because they are more visible.

Well, imagine them as a bunch in the side box. People wouldn't wind up with only one or two for very long, I'd imagine.

Probably best to try to make the rest of it happen first otherwise there wouldn't be much to toggle. :p

This is true.
I plan to talk to Strat about it (and many other things) tomorrow/this weekend.

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well, imagine them as a bunch in the side box. People wouldn't wind up with only one or two for very long, I'd imagine.

With a limit on the number of them which can be displayed? It might start getting a bit annoying if people get like 20 of them or something. :p

#28 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

With a limit on the number of them which can be displayed? It might start getting a bit annoying if people get like 20 of them or something. :p

I think with how small they are maybe 4-6 visible at a time with a "View more" link available would suffice.

#29 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

That's fair. We might be able to make them toggleable, in the same way you can hide everyone's signatures.

That works for me. If not, the smaller the icons the better, and I definitely think there should be a cap on the number of visible icons per member.

The only other suggestion I have would be to display the awards on user profiles, even that's even feasible. Obviously that would require someone to actually visit your profile in order to see your awards, but they wouldn't be cluttering up the forum. I'm not sure if that defeats the purpose of having award icons or what.

#30 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, six would give a total width of 120px, which would be fine. Maybe eight for 140.
That's how it usually works.

#31 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

The only other suggestion I have would be to display the awards on user profiles, even that's even feasible. Obviously that would require someone to actually visit your profile in order to see your awards, but they wouldn't be cluttering up the forum. I'm not sure if that defeats the purpose of having award icons or what.

Yeah, this is possible.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

That works for me. If not, the smaller the icons the better, and I definitely think there should be a cap on the number of visible icons per member.

They would definitely be visible in profiles as well. Probably on their own tab, with all of them visible.

#33 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm guessing there's already a forum modification available to handle all of this for us?

#34 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like a fairly involved mod, but it would definitely be cool to start seeing some badges.

Are there actually IPB awards systems that provide all of these functions?

• Small icons
  • "View More"
  • Tab on user's profile
  • Toggle-able (on a user basis? or site-wide?)

I'm guessing there's already a forum modification available to handle all of this for us?

Great minds, etc etc

#35 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Are there actually IPB awards systems that provide all of these functions?

• Small icons
  • "View More"
  • Tab on user's profile
  • Toggle-able (on a user basis? or site-wide?)

Yes to the first three.
Maybe to the last :p

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Great minds, etc etc

I'm not sure it counts when you take 3 minutes to write a 7 line post. :p

#37 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I voted no. There are still other things that have been promised that have not yet been applied to the site. I just don't see the point of arbitrary awards when we already have the userbars.

However, if they can be toggled I wouldn't have a problem with it. I just would rather not have another eyesore, the varying sizes of profile pictures now is enough..

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

2pzi6mu.png

Twelve second mockup of a first-level posting award to match our userbars.

#39 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

2pzi6mu.png

Twelve second mockup of a first-level posting award to match our userbars.

Not enough lens flare on there.

#40 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I voted no. There are still other things that have been promised that have not yet been applied to the site.

While this is true, it's not what the topic is about :p We all know there are things already being worked on, and I think that we've posted plenty about those things already.

#41 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

While this is true, it's not what the topic is about :p We all know there are things already being worked on, and I think that we've posted plenty about those things already.

True, but my other reason stlll stands. Toggle-able pretty please!

#42 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Not enough lens flare on there.

1o4z1u.png

#43 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I voted no. There are still other things that have been promised that have not yet been applied to the site. I just don't see the point of arbitrary awards when we already have the userbars.

However, if they can be toggled I wouldn't have a problem with it. I just would rather not have another eyesore, the varying sizes of profile pictures now is enough..

We aren't restricted to just doing the things which were mentioned in recent announcements. ;) Especially given that some of those are longer term projects.

#44 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

I only have one userbar, so I want to collect awards. I like things. I am a hoarder. I wish to hoard these tiny sprites.

#45 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

I only have one userbar, so I want to collect awards. I like things. I am a hoarder. I wish to hoard these tiny sprites.

Yaaaaay :D

#46 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

I voted no as well, though it's more of a slight no than a I hate this idea. If you're talking about forum awards I'd prefer extra privileges instead of an icon, like the ability to close topics, change user title, etc. My other reason is basically what Trich said; I like the basic, minimalistic design of Codex and I feel that the award system will eventually end up super bloated, plus now that we have additional userbars, it'll just be too much clutter in the sidebar. They're not useful, unlike userbars, which actually tell you something (rank, etc) and they're really there to look pretty. If it can be toggled I'm okay with it, but I'd still prefer forum privileges instead.

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

I voted no as well, though it's more of a slight no than a I hate this idea. If you're talking about forum awards I'd prefer extra privileges instead of an icon, like the ability to close topics, change user title, etc. My other reason is basically what Trich said; I like the basic, minimalistic design of Codex and I feel that the award system will eventually end up super bloated, plus now that we have additional userbars, it'll just be too much clutter in the sidebar. They're not useful, unlike userbars, which actually tell you something (rank, etc) and they're really there to look pretty. If it can be toggled I'm okay with it, but I'd still prefer forum privileges instead.

Forum priveliges will come with rank, such as the ability to ghost edit your posts. I have been asking for more than that for a long time, when it comes to ranks. It probably won't happen without that association - it'd be very similar to having an IPBstore again, which was shit.

#48 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

People keep thinking that we have all these magical userbars and people can have all kinds and it'll serve the same purpose lol
That's not how it works. Userbars are to show ranks and very few people will have the chance to have more than one to "show off". 

There will be an additional 2 people with an extra userbar. Private Leader and Retired Leader.

That's hardly the same thing as awards.

#49 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I'm not sure it counts when you take 3 minutes to write a 7 line post. :p

I edited it 3 minutes after, which replaces the original post time :p

Forum priveliges will come with rank, such as the ability to ghost edit your posts. I have been asking for more than that for a long time, when it comes to ranks. It probably won't happen without that association - it'd be very similar to having an IPBstore again, which was shit.

That said, it would be cool to have certain awards that would give you extra privileges. And the IBStore was fun!

People keep thinking that we have all these magical userbars and people can have all kinds and it'll serve the same purpose lol
That's not how it works. Userbars are to show ranks and very few people will have the chance to have more than one to "show off". 

There will be an additional 2 people with an extra userbar. Private Leader and Retired Leader.

That's hardly the same thing as awards.

This should obviously be made clearer. We should also have a thread for award suggestions.

@Sweeney Do awards have to be given out manually, or is it automated based on some criteria? (e.g. 100 posts on a 100-post day). I could see the manual awarding getting pretty difficult to manage after a short while.

#50 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

@Sweeney Do awards have to be given out manually, or is it automated based on some criteria? (e.g. 100 posts on a 100-post day). I could see the manual awarding getting pretty difficult to manage after a short while.

I don't think there are any mods that make it automatic. But doing so wouldn't be terribly hard. You'd just have an extra php file with the requirements in functions set to give the award to the logged in user, and require it in the header. It wouldn't need to make any calls to the database until it was actually assigning an award, so the additional server load ought to be teensy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users