Quantcast

Photo

What kind of forum awards do you want, if any?

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

Poll: Icons! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of award icons would you like to see?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

I don't think there are any mods that make it automatic. But doing so wouldn't be terribly hard. You'd just have an extra php file with the requirements in functions set to give the award to the logged in user, and require it in the header. It wouldn't need to make any calls to the database until it was actually assigning an award, so the additional server load ought to be teensy.

I follow you, but I think your plan would indeed have to assign the award - it might be a better idea to have some kind of scheduled batch script that bulk assigned awards nightly, to take away any potential effects on performance (as well as to keep our code clean).

In truth there are a load of different ways we could go about it if we wanted to write it ourselves.

Perhaps instead of worrying about it now we could implement that functionality after a trial period with one of these manual awarding systems. :)

#52 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

It's easy, we just give Joe responsibility for handing them out. :p

#53 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I follow you, but I think your plan would indeed have to assign the award - it might be a better idea to have some kind of scheduled batch script that bulk assigned awards nightly, to take away any potential effects on performance (as well as to keep our code clean).

In truth there are a load of different ways we could go about it if we wanted to write it ourselves.

Perhaps instead of worrying about it now we could implement that functionality after a trial period with one of these manual awarding systems. :)

A batch script might be even more intensive on the database, since it would have to use database calls to harvest its data. An include script wouldn't necessarily have to do that.

Assigning manual awards could simply be an additional mod duty, with users PMing an online staff member when they earn something.

#54 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

A batch script might be even more intensive on the database, since it would have to use database calls to harvest its data. An include script wouldn't necessarily have to do that.

You're half right - that's why we having caching, and why any resource-heavy batch scripts are scheduled to run during the early hours of the morning.

As I said, there are a number of different possibilities on how to achieve this with minimal impact on server load, but maybe we should start off by getting the system installed first.

Assigning manual awards could simply be an additional mod duty, with users PMing an online staff member when they earn something.

Agreed that it could be an additional mod duty, but the idea of having to get users to PM staff members just to get their badge kinda sucks. It should be as seamless as possible, maybe even with a PM notification IMO.

It's easy, we just give Joe responsibility for handing them out. :p

This works too  :rofl:

#55 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

You're half right - that's why we having caching, and why any resource-heavy batch scripts are scheduled to run during the early hours of the morning.

As I said, there are a number of different possibilities on how to achieve this with minimal impact on server load, but maybe we should start off by getting the system installed first.

Agreed that it could be an additional mod duty, but the idea of having to get users to PM staff members just to get their badge kinda sucks. It should be as seamless as possible, maybe even with a PM notification IMO.

This works too  :rofl:

Well, ideally mods would be on the lookout for awards that needed giving out, so that they would only get PMed if the odd person was passed over by mistake. Things like contest awards would be assigned manually anyway.

I'd be happy to take responsibility for it, if I was back on staff.

#56 Dance

Dance
  • 106 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Would it be an option to shrink the neopet style awards to 25x25? They're too clunky at 50x50 but I still enjoy the avatar-esque look of them.

#57 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Would it be an option to shrink the neopet style awards to 25x25? They're too clunky at 50x50 but I still enjoy the avatar-esque look of them.

Uh, not really... You couldn't fit much of anything in a 25x25 box in that style.

#58 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Well, ideally mods would be on the lookout for awards that needed giving out, so that they would only get PMed if the odd person was passed over by mistake. Things like contest awards would be assigned manually anyway.

I'd be happy to take responsibility for it, if I was back on staff.

I guess it really depends on what kind of award criteria we're considering, really. It's pretty easy to track posts on a 100-post day, but if we're doing awards for other things such as referrals, donations, guides, programming bits and bobs, it might be a little more difficult to track.

What kind of things did you have in mind?

#59 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

I guess it really depends on what kind of award criteria we're considering, really. It's pretty easy to track posts on a 100-post day, but if we're doing awards for other things such as referrals, donations, guides, programming bits and bobs, it might be a little more difficult to track.

What kind of things did you have in mind?

A big ol' mix of stuff. Whatever comes to mind, really :p

#60 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

A big ol' mix of stuff. Whatever comes to mind, really :p

We could do something interesting with graphics / programming / contest contributions. I have some ideas:

• 1/5/10/25/50 for Signatures / Avatars created (it would be great if we could get back into the whole sig-request stuff)
  • 1/5/10/25/50 for Contests run
  • Bronze/Silver/Gold for Beta testing contributions
  • Bronze/Silver/Gold for Programming contributions (including snippets)
  • 500k/1m/5m/10m/25m NP / Item value donated

Naturally there would need to be some kind of easier way to track this criteria, but I think these would be a good start considering the main facets of the site.

#61 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

I'm inclined to think that extrinsic motivation leads to more superficial content, but I guess superficial content is better than no content.

#62 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm inclined to think that extrinsic motivation leads to more superficial content, but I guess superficial content is better than no content.

I don't think using goals (awards) as a way to stimulate activity and contributions is a bad thing.

#63 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I don't think using goals (awards) as a way to stimulate activity and contributions is a bad thing.

When Advanced needed 500 posts, there were definitely more BS post count motivated posts. I suppose post count is the only criterion for an award I think is problematic, I don't see anything wrong with rewarding other kinds of contributions.

#64 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

When Advanced needed 500 posts, there were definitely more BS post count motivated posts. I suppose post count is the only criterion for an award I think is problematic, I don't see anything wrong with rewarding other kinds of contributions.

Unless it's a bit higher. Instead of awarding 100-500 posts, they could award 1000,2500,5000,10000 or whatever. 

#65 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

As soon as awards are updated a guide definitely needs to be made outlining the various criteria for both any new awards and also the current/new rank system (unless this exists, but I don't think it does)

#66 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I feel like I've seen this idea elsewhere....

#67 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Being original is hard.

#68 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

They probably saw it elsewhere too :p 
Lots of forums have award systems of some sort. 

#69 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

I like both options, but I prefer the smaller ones. I think they would take up less space in the sidebar. Plus, I think if you won enough, there wouldn't be any space left, and you would have to choose which ones you want shown (I could be wrong about that). With the smaller ones, you can show more without it being as in your face. This is definitely a great idea though, and I hope it will encourage more activity.

#70 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

I dig the tiny icons  :wub:

#71 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

My inner achievement whore says "yes please".

Just don't make me work hard. Working hard sucks.

#72 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

i dont know

#73 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Gives me a motivation to keep being a part of the community :)

Alright, forget it. This was a terrible idea.

#74 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

It sounds like a fun idea but gosh its horrible when forums have the huge bloaty icons EVERYWHERE and they're all in your face :x So I guess if they're small that'd be good? Or if there was an option to turn them off or somethin heheheh~

#75 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Like MapleTowers, which started in 2007?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users