Quantcast

Photo

What kind of forum awards do you want, if any?

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

Poll: Icons! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of award icons would you like to see?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

voted no at first because from my experience they will always look clutterish. but looking at the examples here, they might not be as clutterish as i thought. :) i like @Strategist's idea of framing all the awards with a simple border. i find it less in-your-face somehow. but having no borders are good too.

#102 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

Can you guys see the examples under my avatar now?

#103 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

Can you guys see the examples under my avatar now?

yep

#104 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:40 AM

Yes, and it works in both skins.

#105 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

Yes, and it works in both skins.

Turns out all that was needed for the fix of that 'Fatal Error' earlier was to re-cache the skin templates. Worked like a charm :) I also removed the border and the Awards Bar header. Looks much cleaner now. I am going to leave the link under the awards as this is a shortcut to the user profile 'Awards' section. (I can turn it off at anytime though, so there is flexibility).

#106 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

They look awesome :) I can't wait for these..

#107 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

Looks great ^^
I think whoever designs our awards should incorporate some transparent space at the borders so that they don't butt up on each other (or add margins to the image CSS, if that's possible/easy).

#108 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

Don't really like the text link below the icons.. There's also so much space between icons and text. :<

#109 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

Turns out all that was needed for the fix of that 'Fatal Error' earlier was to re-cache the skin templates. Worked like a charm :) I also removed the border and the Awards Bar header. Looks much cleaner now. I am going to leave the link under the awards as this is a shortcut to the user profile 'Awards' section. (I can turn it off at anytime though, so there is flexibility).

Nice job dude. Can we change "Users Awards" to "User's Awards", if we're going to keep it there?

Don't really like the text link below the icons.. There's also so much space between icons and text. :<

Agreed, some positioning still needs to be worked out.

But hey, we have awards. Who knew it would be that easy ;)

#110 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:55 AM

Looks great ^^
I think whoever designs our awards should incorporate some transparent space at the borders so that they don't butt up on each other (or add margins to the image CSS, if that's possible/easy).

Nice job dude. Can we change "Users Awards" to "User's Awards", if we're going to keep it there?

Agreed, some positioning still needs to be worked out.

But hey, we have awards. Who knew it would be that easy ;)

I agree with the spacing issues you guys have pointed out. I'm still working on the system on the back end and it does have the option to be able to move the awards around and change the spacing etc in the CSS coding. 

Also, @Dan, I'll look into correcting the typo asap ;)

Just need someone(s) to help with the design of the awards and come up with criteria now :p

#111 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

a forum awards design contest springs to mind. :p

#112 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

If you created a simple template PSD for download then I think you could easily get ppl to do some awards without much fuss.

I am happy to help out with anything gfx related.  If you want to pm me I will send you examples of my types of work I have done.

#113 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

Just need someone(s) to help with the design of the awards and come up with criteria now :p

I'm ready when you are.

If you created a simple template PSD for download then I think you could easily get ppl to do some awards without much fuss.

What would be the purpose of a template? A 20x20 transparent canvas is pretty simple to generate for yourself.

#114 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

I'm ready when you are.

Asking for help isn't quite this set of staff's forte :p

What would be the purpose of a template? A 20x20 transparent canvas is pretty simple to generate for yourself.

Indeed  :S

#115 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

a forum awards design contest springs to mind. :p

Agreed, this would be an ideal way to see what people can produce as well as what ideas for criteria each person has in mind. We can also brainstorm a list prior to the contest and use that as a guide? This might be something that the Contest Team would like to discuss? @Emily

I'm ready when you are.

Indeed :p I shall have a chat to you over the next couple of days ;)

Asking for help isn't quite this set of staff's forte :p

I already asked Joe if he would like to help via PM (to which he agreed) previously :p

#116 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Isn't this exciting? :D

#117 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

I already asked Joe if he would like to help via PM (to which he agreed) previously :p

Oh, well, good :p

I think we should gather up a bunch (10+) of ideas for awards (Iike the ones I mentioned earlier in this thread), and then have a multi-vote. Once we've decided that criteria we could then have a contest for the icons :)

#118 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

It's frustrating, being so keen to jump in but it being able to :p

But yes, it's exciting.

Oh, well, good :p

I think we should gather up a bunch (10+) of ideas for awards (Iike the ones I mentioned earlier in this thread), and then have a multi-vote. Once we've decided that criteria we could then have a contest for the icons :)

Actually, I don't think this needs to be a contest. I'd prefer someone take charge and get it done.

#119 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

Actually, yeah now that you mention it, it's probably best just to get a list together and work from there. No need for a contest. LET'S DO THIS! *goes to bed*

#120 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

It's frustrating, being so keen to jump in but it being able to :p

I feel your pain ;)

Actually, I don't think this needs to be a contest. I'd prefer someone take charge and get it done.

Fair enough. I think if we're going down that route then it's important that there is a design *process* with critique & multiple revisions.

#121 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Actually, yeah now that you mention it, it's probably best just to get a list together and work from there. No need for a contest. LET'S DO THIS! *goes to bed*

Ass :p

Just decide if you want them to look similar to the userbars, like the example I threw up (heh) earlier in the thread, or a more eclectic mix, like the MapleTowers ones. Or a combination of the two.

#122 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

As a non biggy member with a shiny userbar :p

It would be nice to take part in making some but that just me.  I used to love doing forum gfx for the site I was mod on back in the day.

#123 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

I thought that's what you were doing.

#124 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

I vote this for Southerners.

Spoiler

*winces*

Nope. Nope nope nope. 

#125 Sweeney