16 replies to this topic

#1 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

February will be sickening.

The first episode premieres this Monday February 24 at 9PM on LogoTV. If you don't have LogoTV, they usually upload their episodes on their website like 12 hours after the premiere. 

If you haven't heard about RuPaul's drag race, it's a reality TV show for competing drag queens for the title of Next Drag Super Star, $100,000, a lot of free makeup and other publicity/celebrity level exposure. 

Just being clear: all the contestants are men who are not undergoing any procedures to become a biological women (according to what the audition requires) who dress up as women and show off their talents.

For people who never watched the show before, you may have an aversion. I know when I first watched it, I was actually turned off from the show, but when my friends kept watching it and out of it and I felt out of the loop, I began to watch the show more seriously. I eventually fell in love with the show. It has everything a performer needs to know: tricks, makeup, singing, dancing, acting, comedy, costume, leadership, pop culture and so much more. I find this show to be more in depth because the contestants are so talented and may have mastered all of the branches of entertainment. It's more amusing than one trick shows like American Idol or America's Next Top Model. Also, some of these drag queens look undeniably like women. One of the contestants named Courtney Act from Australia looks and sounds like a a fierce woman when she is in her craft.

The Contestants:

(Note: See the first Drag Queen as Adore Delano? You might know her as Danny Noriega from American Idol)

Previews:

http://www.logotv.co..._6/series.jhtml

(Note: For logotv website, if the videos are not working you are either geographically locked or your adblock is preventing adds. You may need to turn off your addblock service. Don't worry. The adds are nothing compared to youtube without addblock *shudders*

Interviews with the Cast:

http://www.logotv.co...re-delano.jhtml

(Note: The link is showing the first queen in alphabetical order, but if you let it run, it will automatically play the next interview)

Showcase Videos + Audition Tape Clips: 

WARNING: A LOT OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS

Who will wear the the crown on their over-the-top wig? Who is your favorite? 

Discuss.

#2 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I've watched this show starting from Season 1.

I've always enjoyed drag performances, so this show was a natural for me to watch.

I do, however, think that this show has a certain type of queen they're looking for. So, many talented people end up getting kicked off early or don't get to show everything they have.
I feel like this show lacks one major component of drag and that's performing and/or entertaining a crowd. Very few challenges actually involve doing just that.

I have disagreed with a number of the winning and top 3 queens.

You can be a booger queen (for those of you not hip on the lingo; that means you're busted/not pretty) but still work a show room and have the crowd on their feet throwing money at you.
You can be beautiful, with an amazing body, you can make high fashion clothing and know how to 'walk' a runway but that doesn't mean you're a good drag queen.
Many of the top queens, I've noticed, when they perform after the show solely rely on their body or their look and just 'walk' around the stage and don't actually perform.

I feel there were a few queens who got knocked off their season early for a rather small reason and, had they been given the chance, could have gone a lot further than some of the other queens on the show.

I've had friends who have made it onto RPDR and queens that I've watched perform at clubs make it on; this is the first season where I have never seen nor heard of at least one of the queens.
So it will be interesting for me to watch. I don't get Logo (not paying extra for a huge package of channels when all I want it Logo) so I have to watch it afterward. Only thing is, most of my FB feed is drag queens and gay men. So if I don't want it ruined for me, I have to not go on facebook for an entire day (til I can watch it online) after the show airs.

Edited by Florg, 18 February 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the matter of queens being eliminated early. Some queens did get eliminated early because of luck of the draw with the type of challenges. Maybe the challenges one queen who got eliminated early would have excelled at the later challenges. However, you have to acknowledge that this show isn't like real drag exhibition shows or pageants you find in a local club/bar and the very nature of a reality TV competition is to rank/elimination of queens based on a set of criteria, no matter how biased towards one area of drag the actual events are. The queens knew what was going to happen when they all signed the contract with the show. I feel like the winner isn't so much based on who is the best performer, but the most versatile (or arguably the one who fits the show's weekly challenge criteria the best). I still to this day have major respect for drag queens who got eliminated early like Tammy Brown. 

If there was a non-elimination show that shows true drag queens performances, that would a completely different story. But for now, I applaud RuPaul and LogoTV for creating baby steps towards that direction

#4 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

@Florg

What's your opinion of all the queens after watching both parts of the premier. At first I hated the double premier, but it made me appreciate each queen more than I usually would.

My thoughts:

Spoiler

#5 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Adore: Eh, I'm not impressed. Her makeup really needs some work, there's just something about it that's off putting for me. Her personality is really flat for me and a bit obnoxious/ditzy. I wasn't a fan of her runway outfit at all.

April: Beautiful. Simple as that. I was rooting for her to turn out that box and she did great. Plus, as a boy, she's exactly the type of guy I would hit on in a new york minute. lol

Ben: One of my two top favorites, no question about it. Her style with her makeup and costumes is exactly what I tend to really like in a drag queen and the fact that she looks almost identical to Michelle Visage....YASSSSS!!!!

Gia: She's a pretty girl, don't get me wrong, but I'm not really a fan. She just doesn't have a personality for me, aside from reading people. It's also rumored she is transgendered. If that's the case, she's not supposed to be allowed to compete on the show. (And I actually support not allowing transgenders to be on the show)

Kelly: I was disappointed with her, she has such a campy look (and I enjoy campy queens; comedy queens is where it's at) but her makeup was really nowhere near where I thought it would be for someone with such experience. (I haven't watched Whatcha Packin yet)

Laganja: I want to see more from her before I really decide. I haven't fully decided where I stand with her yet. I know she was a top favorite to be on the show and apparently she's very over-the-top, so I'm waiting to see that. I hated the neck piece she wore, I thought it was a bad decision. Cute as a boy too. lol

Vivacious: Eh. I thought for sure she would bring a fierce queen and I actually some what liked her runway outfit but she's not bringing it like I thought she would. I think she'll end up eliminated early on.

----------------

Bianca: My other top favorite for almost the same reasons as Ben. Plus she's all about comedy and that's an A+ for me. I love her makeup and her personality. She can be bitchy when it's needed but it's not a constant part of who she is.

Courtney: I was so disappointed with her. She really failed the challenge in my opinion. I didn't even get the reference her runway outfit was making until I read some online forums. I felt she really could have nailed a Palin or 'Pant Suit Republican' type outfit and rocked it without relying on her body which she even made a comment about but still did it. Boo.

Darienne: I love love love me a big queen. Her personality more than sells it. It was a sad that her outfit was very bland but I'm really hoping she lasts longer than the other big girls did. I really like her.

Joslyn: Yes, too much giggling and laughing. Omg, I wanted to throw something at the TV. Lol She could have done a much better job with her outfit though...didn't really have a vision that I could see beyond using everything she was given. Pretty face though.

Magnolia: No, just no. I don't think there was really anything I liked about her and that was before she admitted she only wanted to use the show for her own self-exposure and had no interest in the competition and now she's milking "The most hated queen from RPDR" title. -eyeroll- That nose contour....wtf.

Milk: I like her style, it's very out of the box and I enjoy that. I'm not really sold yet that she can pull off glamour or anything like that. So I'm waiting to see more from her, I know she's a huge favorite among the fans.

Trinity: Ugh, another Tyra. (Who I did not like and did not think should have won) She looks great but she's very flat for me and her mouth / the way she talks. Omg, it bothers me Idk why. I think she has a chance to surprise everyone and come from behind though.

#6 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

gravedig! :p

thanks to this thread i've successfully followed the series every episode since the premiere. the finale is coming soon. i'm rooting for #teambianca! :)

#7 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'm so glad another person watches the show. 

The only reason why I'm not on Team Bianca is because she's the most likely winner. Unlike last season, this year's winner seems to have it in the bag. Like really, 3 Wins, no LSFYL. The other two competition left either has faced 1 LPFYL or won one less challenge. I'm Team Adore because I want to be surprised with Adore winning from behind.

By any chance, were you surprised with Dela's elimination?

#8 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

i won't be surprised at all if adore won... :p everyone is cheering for her since day 1 and i wonder why. is it because of her idol appearance? i don't follow american idol so i don't have the foggiest how much impact she made in the show.

By any chance, were you surprised with Dela's elimination?

HELL YES!! i love her. :( she reminds me a lot of jinxx monsoon. a lot of people are saying that darienne was safe to keep the drama going. so robbed.

#9 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

until 5 minutes ago I didin't realise I could actually watch those episodes online #dumbMathilda

Thanks Keil for the link, gonna rush the first episode and then running there to comment it!

#10 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

You better get on it, Matilda. They will be crowing the newest superstar in about 2 weeks.

i won't be surprised at all if adore won... :p everyone is cheering for her since day 1 and i wonder why. is it because of her idol appearance? i don't follow american idol so i don't have the foggiest how much impact she made in the show.

HELL YES!! i love her. :( she reminds me a lot of jinxx monsoon. a lot of people are saying that darienne was safe to keep the drama going. so robbed.

Spoiler

#11 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

So I just watched the 2 first episodes.... and....

I want all of their shoes so bad. Also, I'M SO IN LOVE WITH APRIL OMG SHE'S SO PERFECT SHE CAME IN AS A MILITARY HAAAAAAAAAAAA

All of them are pretty fucking amazing but. April. She's just so cute. 

(Some others a fucking amazing Like Ben and Darienne. A drag that gives me a show is always better in my book than a pretty face)

#12 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

aww, april.... i love her and her latino accent. :D

#13 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Spoiler

#14 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

agree with you, @Keil. :) btw, the dresses that they made.... are they prepared during the episode or beforehand? some of them are so mindblowing... especially courtney's costume with that widespan wings. EPIC!

#15 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

@Stuck In all the seasons, the queens only made outfits from scratch in the first episode and the one garment in the 3 outfit challenge. So two in total. All the rest were pre-made before the show. It would be crazy to make all the dresses for each week during shooting because each "week" of an episode is usually shot within two or three days. 

EDIT: Actually three outfits in total including transforming a non-drag queen man into a woman.

#16 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

:yahoo: all hail queen bianca :yahoo:

tumblr_my8cb6h3ci1qlqjbho1_500.gif

wtf courtney hardly says anything in the finale :doh:

#17 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Monsoon season and now Hurricane Bianca. 

I'm so glad the producers didn't use the footage of when Bianca and Adore tied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaggin, fysh, murica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users