• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

Is anyone (other than @Faintingcow ) still using Windows XP?

If so, I hope you know that support from Microsoft ends on April 6th.

Figure out if you're running XP here: http://amirunningxp.com/

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

I think some of the computers at my school might still be running it. It's either xp or 7.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Wait, people need a website to tell them if they're using XP or not? O_o

#4 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

My father and aunt still use Windows XP.  My father insists to my aunt that she'll be fine even when XP supports ends. :|

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

I liked XP :(

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

My desktop is XP buuut I very rarely use it. 

#7 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Apparently so :p

I liked XP :(

Me too, but 7 has been out long enough to be better than it in almost every way. I'm still not sold on 8 / 8.1 yet.

#8 GarenaMaster

GarenaMaster
  • 346 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

My Laptop was Windows 7 and i formatted it and Installed Windows XP on it :)

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

My Laptop was Windows 7 and i formatted it and Installed Windows XP on it :)

Of course you did.

#10 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

This will be interesting. Our whole service uses XP so I can't imagine we'd stay with it if updates and supports will cease to exist. But then again I can't imagine us going to windows 7 or 8...

Maybe we'll update to Vista or just spend millions on third party companies to keep XP up to scratch.

#11 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

This will be interesting. Our whole service uses XP so I can't imagine we'd stay with it if updates and supports will cease to exist. But then again I can't imagine us going to windows 7 or 8...

Maybe we'll update to Vista or just spend millions on third party companies to keep XP up to scratch.

Once you go Windows 8, you wish you could go back. Don't let them make the same mistake. 

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Whatever, you get used to 8 and 7 feels weird again.

#13 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Me too, but 7 has been out long enough to be better than it in almost every way. I'm still not sold on 8 / 8.1 yet.

Why not, out of curiosity? I still use Windows 7, but I haven't heard many complaints from tech savvy people regarding Windows 8.1 once you actually get in there and experience it. 

#14 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Whatever, you get used to 8 and 7 feels weird again.

I'll never get used to it freezing up, random pages opening all over the place, and the weird zoom mode that I can't get out of sometimes when I drag my cursor. 

... Did that ever happen to you? 

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I'll never get used to it freezing up, random pages opening all over the place, and the weird zoom mode that I can't get out of sometimes when I drag my cursor. 

... Did that ever happen to you? 

No.

The worse thing that happens to me is that my mouse doesn't work sometimes but when I press ` it starts up again. I have to move things off my computer fairly regularly, but I have to do that no matter what.

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Why not, out of curiosity? I still use Windows 7, but I haven't heard many complaints from tech savvy people regarding Windows 8.1 once you actually get in there and experience it. 

There's no driving force behind me wanting to upgrade. The only changes I see are detrimental to my workflow. I have no desire for the tabletized start screen yet, really...

I will upgrade. Just not yet :p

#17 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

With windows 8.1 you can set it to startup to your desktop rather then the tabletised start screen.  I can't remember what it's called, but there's also a mod you can do to put the start screen back like the classic setup rather then the metro screen.

Took me a little bit of getting used to 8 (and 8.1) but I'm actually quite liking it overall now that I'm not confused as fuck when attempting to do something like shut down my computer...

#18 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

With windows 8.1 you can set it to startup to your desktop rather then the tabletised start screen.  I can't remember what it's called, but there's also a mod you can do to put the start screen back like the classic setup rather then the metro screen.

Took me a little bit of getting used to 8 (and 8.1) but I'm actually quite liking it overall now that I'm not confused as fuck when attempting to do something like shut down my computer...

I know, I know... I'm just still uncomfortable with having to install third party software to get an OS that I find usable.

Like I said, at some point I'll upgrade, maybe 8.1 will be the sweet spot.

Did you know that W8 has sold 100 million copies fewer than W7?

#19 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

Once you go Windows 8, you wish you could go back. Don't let them make the same mistake.

I doubt I'll have much influence over a billon pound "industry" regulated by the government :p

I've got Windows 8.1 for the laptop and it seems ok, but just takes getting used to. I just can't imagine that being too user friendly and this will be the problem for large companies/Industries.

#20 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Shaddap. Not everyone can be intelligent.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

No.

The worse thing that happens to me is that my mouse doesn't work sometimes but when I press ` it starts up again. I have to move things off my computer fairly regularly, but I have to do that no matter what.

Sounds like that may have something to do with the auto clicker that Yung uses.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Sounds like that may have something to do with the auto clicker that Yung uses.

I have my own laptop. We don't use each other's computers.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

I have my own laptop. We don't use each other's computers.

Ever?

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Ever?

Well, he set something up for me a couple days ago, but other than that no. If he needs something on my computer or looked up, I generally just do it. He uses 7 and gets frustrated with 8.

#25 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

One of my laptops is on Windows XP but that probably hasn't got the guts inside it to run anything newer - plus I need it for compatibility issues with older software.

My main laptop is windows 7 and that is a very good OS.

My parents' laptop is windows 8.1 and even now I haven't got used to it (when I do use it). Here's hoping windows 10 will be an improvement on window 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users