What are YOU giving up for Lent?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#51 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Good, now I know I should avoid anything with "bhindi" in the name when I eat Indian food. Okra is gross.

fried okra... so delicious

#52 wildwolfspirit

wildwolfspirit
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

I really hate seeing people wearing their ashes out in public. I feel like they're being prideful about their being Catholic, like LOOK AT ME I WENT TO CHURCH ON ASH WEDNESDAY, even though their punk ass probably hasn't been since Christmas. But what do I know? What are your thoughts on seeing people walking around the fuckin' grocery store with the mark of mortality and sin on their foreheads?

I may be a little late to the party, but I think it's more of a sign of humility? Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want the extra attention given to me :p ..

Either way though, I can't see how anyone can be upset about it though. Does it upset you when you see a Jewish guy with a Yamaka on or when a women wears a Bindi or headdress? 

How about when someone where's a T-shirt of a band you don't like? (LOOK AT THEM THEY LIKE GREEN DAY) :p

Maybe, I'm comparing apples to oranges, but it's all the same to me. People have different cultures, interests, religions, etc. etc.... who am I to judge how they express themselves?

Just my thoughts on it  :ninja:

#53 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Not only Catholics do that; I think for most people they don't think about it being on their foreheads afterward.

Then what's the point of getting it if you're not going to think about it? It's not the same as wearing a cross on your neck. Ashes are not a fashion accessory.

As a Catholic, I go to mass and get the ash as a reminder that we are mortal and we should spend our time bettering ourselves and helping others. When I get the cross on my forehead I didn't realize people think I'm an asshole for going out in public. Should I have stayed home today, and not gone to school and work? I don't run around the halls screaming look at my head, I don't look for any more attention than I do on any other day. I don't see anything wrong with going to church in the morning and participating in this ritual. I also don't think if you see someone at school or the mall they're there because they want you to see the ash, it's just because that's what they do. 

As for your point about people wearing marks of sin or whatever on their bodies, I don't give a fuck. Wear whatever you want. I'm not a Catholic because I think I'm better than you, or think you should be Catholic because I am. I do it because I agree with some of the teachings, and I think it's a positive factor in my life.

I'm sure no one looked at you today and thought "What an asshole." I'm sure most people looked at you and thought "That guy got ashes" I think this might just be me. That's genuinely why I wanted to know how everyone felt about it. I don't know why it irritates me so much to see people out and about with ashes. I mean, it isn't against the law to wipe it off some time during the day. I suppose I associate it with shame and guilt, so seeing people out and about with it like a badge of honor bothers me. Whenever I get ashes, I am CONSTANTLY aware of it, so I don't go places where other people see me. I'm probably reading too much into things. I have strong feelings about a lot of things.

Either way though, I can't see how anyone can be upset about it though. Does it upset you when you see a Jewish guy with a Yamaka on or when a women wears a Bindi or headdress?

No. But I'm not Jewish or Hindu or 9/16ths Native American.

#54 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I think people don't like the ashes because it's on the forehead, which I feel is a bit more noticeable than the head for a Yamaka because maybe the Yamaka can look like a hat to some people? (I have no idea, so I'm just randomly guessing here. Some people are extremely ignorant though and may think it's a hat.)

As for the headdress, those can be really pretty sometimes (or at least the one's I've seen), unlike the ashes, and maybe people just think "Oh what a pretty scarf/headress" instead of just seeing a black cross on someone's forehead.  

As for the difference between wearing a cross and wearing the ashes, a necklace can be small thing, sometimes under a shirt or if it's not it's not too noticeable. The ashes are on the forehead, and are black, which may make them more noticeable which makes people angry because they see it as tons of people "showing off their religion" in public. I guess some people just don't like the ashes.

I've never seen someone wearing them but, I thank you for explaining it incase I do. I'd feel pretty bad if I asked why they have dirt on their head and they could possibly get offended. If anything I've said about the ashes is wrong, I do apologize I'm not actually all that familiar with them, so I'm just going off of what's been said here.

Edited by Satsuki, 05 March 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#55 wildwolfspirit

wildwolfspirit
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

No. But I'm not Jewish or Hindu or 9/16ths Native American.

Ermmm...did I miss something? You're Catholic?

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Ermmm...did I miss something? You're Catholic?

That seems to be the implication.

#57 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Oh... yeah. I'm Catholic. I've been Catholic for a while now. Like 30 years, almost.
Not a very good one, though.

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I have a little pry bar here somewhere if anyone needs help getting their foot out of their mouth.

#59 wildwolfspirit

wildwolfspirit
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Oh... yeah. I'm Catholic. I've been Catholic for a while now. Like 30 years, almost.
Not a very good one, though.

That seems to be the implication.

Heh...well then... I thought we were both talking from perspectives outside of being Catholic :p ...

But I guess I wouldn't self-identify with a religion I didn't whole-heartedly agree with... but then again I guess it is up to everyone to decide what they think is right/wrong and no one knows for sure until the light at the end of the tunnel (I think it'd be kinda cool if we go to a world where pokemon are real...that'd be tight!)

#60 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Well, I didn't come out and say "I'm Catholic, help me understand why it bothers me to see other Catholics doing Catholic things". I didn't realize other Christians did it too, so all these people today I thought were Catholics might have been Methodists like Napiform.

#61 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Growing up in nothing but Catholic based schools required me to wear ash on my forehead every year straight up until high school. It's so damn itchy.

#62 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm non-religious, just like the excuse to have pancakes :p 

Although I've packed up smoking and drinking at the same time. (if I kill anyone, please let them know this is why) 

Smoking (hopefully) permanently, and drinking, hopefully for as short a time as possible. :D

#63 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well, I didn't come out and say "I'm Catholic, help me understand why it bothers me to see other Catholics doing Catholic things". I didn't realize other Christians did it too, so all these people today I thought were Catholics might have been Methodists like Napiform.

I did hear San Antonio has a Methodist 'church-on-wheels' this year that gives ashes on the go, so I guess it's possible, but most Methodists and Disciples of Christ do nighttime services only during the week, they're going on now. 

Also to be fair, I've only spent ~2 years as a Methodist (compared to ~23 years as a Disciple of Christ) so I'm still new to what's going on in this area of religion. 

#64 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm not religious so I wont be giving up anything. If I was to do it though it'd probably be to see if I could be less of a bitch here but there's no fun in that, and I don't want to. 

Besides, I already gave up my lunch hour to the hell that is studying Algebra. That's enough sacrifice for me this year. 

#65 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm not religious so I wont be giving up anything. If I was to do it though it'd probably be to see if I could be less of a bitch here but there's no fun in that, and I don't want to. 

Besides, I already gave up my lunch hour to the hell that is studying Algebra. That's enough sacrifice for me this year. 

it's always good to challenge yourself or at least try. I do it and for me has nothing to do with religion because i dont follow any religion.

I've decided to give up Regular COKE, however I'm switching to Coke Zero. Does this count? Less sugar?

edit: woot this is my pi post :D

Edited by Rocket, 05 March 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#66 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

it's always good to challenge yourself or at least try. I do it and for me has nothing to do with religion because i dont follow any religion.

I've decided to give up Regular COKE, however I'm switching to Coke Zero. Does this count? Less sugar?

I think you should probably switch to green tea. Or maybe water.

#67 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

I think you should probably switch to green tea. Or maybe water.

I drink A LOT of water as is, because of medication i'm on, it makes me feel dehydrated quickly. I'd say I drink at least a gallon each day (yes I pee a lot).

Not a fan of green tea unless it's sweetened. I'm trying baby steps :p

#68 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I did hear San Antonio has a Methodist 'church-on-wheels' this year that gives ashes on the go, so I guess it's possible, but most Methodists and Disciples of Christ do nighttime services only during the week, they're going on now.

... like an ice cream truck?

I'm not sure exactly how many heaven points you'd get for studying Algebra. I bet you couldn't stop being a bitch if you tried. I certainly can't. It's like... something in my bones causes me to be an asshole. I do not even think about it. The mean just comes out.

THAT DOESN'T COUNT.
Coke Zero is dang tasty.

#69 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

I drink A LOT of water as is, because of medication i'm on, it makes me feel dehydrated quickly. I'd say I drink at least a gallon each day (yes I pee a lot).

Not a fan of green tea unless it's sweetened. I'm trying baby steps :p

I'm suppressing the urge to give you a thousand fear-mongering articles on artificial sweeteners. How about just cutting back on normal coke instead? Or stocking up on 'Real Sugar' soda during Passover for times like these? 

... like an ice cream truck?

San Antonio link
They're doing it in Austin too, I guess (Also apparently Episcopalians do imposition of the ashes too, who knew??)

AshesToGo.jpg

#70 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure exactly how many heaven points you'd get for studying Algebra. I bet you couldn't stop being a bitch if you tried. I certainly can't. It's like... something in my bones causes me to be an asshole. I do not even think about it. The mean just comes out.

I've gone from not being able to do anything other than add/subtract to finishing this book, and now working on algebra, in the last 4 months of doing an hour a day at lunch. I start my degree in the fall and I really needed to stop avoiding learning math. Part of what I'll be studying involves statistics, conceptual physics and advanced algebra. While some people would say that it's not a big achievement I'm quite proud of myself for all the work I've put in. I've also been studying American History, Social Sciences, and Anatomy. 

I certainly don't actually mean to be a bitch, it's actually here that part mostly arises. People just rub me up the wrong way, some days I can ignore it and others I don't have the temperament to deal with their bullshit. 

Do I score heaven points for at least trying and can I redeem them for some super cool shit somewhere? 

Edited by Sarah, 05 March 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#71 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

My boyfriend just sent me this text from work :rolleyes:

eGzBZ3b.png

#72 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Praise be.

#73 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Not religious, but I've been thinking about giving up sodas. Or possibly candy/sweets.

#74 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Not religious, but I've been thinking about giving up sodas. Or possibly candy/sweets.

I would never be able to give up candy without an overwhelming fear of divine retribution.

#75 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I would never be able to give up candy without an overwhelming fear of divine retribution.

Exactly. It's a challenge. I like challenges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users