• This topic is locked This topic is locked
186 replies to this topic

#26 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Oh a new rank. Something new to shoot for. Though it'll probably take me a year+ to get in, like it did with me and advanced+. I think opening up the program discussion was a great idea, now we might have program questions that aren't Abrosia based in there and it makes them easier to reach. 

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I think it's going to be difficult for anyone outside of Retired to give much input on the reinstitution of the Private rank, since they've got no context for understanding what it's meant to be.

Advanced+ is already a rank for "regularly active members", so what else is Private meant to signify? This time?

#28 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Advanced+ is already a rank for "regularly active members", so what else is Private meant to signify? This time?

A rank for regularly active members with a higher post count and a few years under their belt who are not likely to get voted into Retired just yet.
Just a rank in between since the gap between Adv+ and Retired is insane. Incentive to stick around and be active and move up in the community. They'll get a few perks and their own forum to post in.
Let's be real, it's not very often people get voted into Retired, whatever the reason for that might be there is now a rank for people who aren't "Retired Material" just yet. It will also give you Retired folks a pool to pick from when it comes time for you to nominate people.

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

A rank for regularly active members with a higher post count and a few years under their belt who are not likely to get voted into Retired just yet.
Just a rank in between since the gap between Adv+ and Retired is insane. Incentive to stick around and be active and move up in the community. They'll get a few perks and their own forum to post in.
Let's be real, it's not very often people get voted into Retired, whatever the reason for that might be there is now a rank for people who aren't "Retired Material" just yet. It will also give you Retired folks a pool to pick from when it comes time for you to nominate people.

Ok, so what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

#30 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I think it's going to be difficult for anyone outside of Retired to give much input on the reinstitution of the Private rank, since they've got no context for understanding what it's meant to be.

The next step in forum evolution. From homo sapiens to homo superior.

#31 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Ok, so what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Well that wasn't only in reference to the new rank, I believe Cody was asking for suggestions on the layout of the forum as well.
However, if people wanted to provide suggestions for Private, that's cool too.
Perhaps what perks they'd like to see, types of questions they think are reasonable during the application process, things of that nature :p

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Well that wasn't only in reference to the new rank, I believe Cody was asking for suggestions on the layout of the forum as well.
However, if people wanted to provide suggestions for Private, that's cool too.
Perhaps what perks they'd like to see, types of questions they think are reasonable during the application process, things of that nature :p

Well, I already gave a pretty comprehensive suggestion for that :p
I've also suggested perks, and Cody didn't actually mention that there was going to be applications, so I don't think that's what he was going for. Interesting idea though... Let's see.

Spoiler

#33 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I agree with Kate that the gap between Adv+ and Retired are way too big. Research* has shown that a reasonable tiered progression helps keep people active and contributing.

*Research conducted by me. Using video games.

#34 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Well, I already gave a pretty comprehensive suggestion for that :p
I've also suggested perks, and Cody didn't actually mention that there was going to be applications, so I don't think that's what he was going for. Interesting idea though... Let's see.

Spoiler

I like all of the above. Also, I didn't realize he didn't mention that. But yeah, in case anyone is wondering that is how people will be chosen.
Also uhh.. I think when we first officially open the rank we're going to auto promote some people who have obviously earned it already or Retired users who wish to be moved there.

#35 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

we all need something to work towards, while private is a long ways away, i'm just trying for adv +

#36 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Always nerding out. *shakes head*
But glad you agree.

#37 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I think when we first officially open the rank we're going to auto promote some people who have obviously earned it already

Please do not do this.

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I agree with Kate that the gap between Adv+ and Retired are way too big. Research* has shown that a reasonable tiered progression helps keep people active and contributing.

I agree with this... it's why I was fully against the dissolution of Private in the first place.

#39 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Please do not do this.

Maaaaaaaybe we will, maaaaaaybe we won't. But if people don't like that idea, we probably won't :p I suppose it's not that hard for people to apply and if they've really earned it they need not worry about getting in right?

This doesn't apply to Retired people who wish to be moved though, I mean that's their choice since Retired is a rank higher than Private.

#40 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Maaaaaaaybe we will, maaaaaaybe we won't. But if people don't like that idea, we probably won't :p I suppose it's not that hard for people to apply and if they've really earned it they need not worry about getting in right?

This doesn't apply to Retired people who wish to be moved though, I mean that's their choice since Retired is a rank higher than Private.

Auto-promoting people into something that is meant to be a voted rank is never a good idea. Don't begin the new era of Private applications by completely undermining the whole purpose of having applications in the first place.

And I know, that's why I didn't quote that part :p

#41 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Auto-promoting people into something that is meant to be a voted rank is never a good idea. Don't begin the new era of Private applications by completely undermining the whole purpose of having applications in the first place.

And I know, that's why I didn't quote that part :p

That's true :p
We're still working out the details but it's always nice to know what the majority wants.

#42 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

There is an application from ipb that allows us to organise applications for new ranks quite easily. I will find an example of it later after work and show you guys. We can discuss it in Retired later too.

#43 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

There is an application from ipb that allows us to organise applications for new ranks quite easily. I will find an example of it later after work and show you guys. We can discuss it in Retired later too.

This sounds good. Healthy discussion is the best way to make sure everyone feels like they've had their ideas fairly considered.

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Heh, I know where we can find examples...

To be honest, I don't see the need to install a whole new IPB app just to handle something that is served perfectly well by a simple forum that appears and disappears when needed.

#45 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Heh, I know where we can find examples...

To be honest, I don't see the need to install a whole new IPB app just to handle something that is served perfectly well by a simple forum that appears and disappears when needed.

Normally I'd agree, but I think we should really try and go for any option that offers the least amount of continued maintenance and/or involvement. 

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Normally I'd agree, but I think we should really try and go for any option that offers the least amount of continued maintenance and/or involvement.

I believe, if we used an application application ( :p), there would still need to be discussion and voting threads created for each one.

#47 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

That's true :p
We're still working out the details but it's always nice to know what the majority wants.

Sweeney doesn't represent the majority. Just saying

#48 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

No, I represent the educated, adult, and generally correct minority.

#49 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

You seem to have misunderstood.
The majority literally means the majority, whether they agree with Sweeney or they don't, their opinions are important to us.

#50 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Oh yeah before I forget
Thanks for not taking down the 'Jokes and Fun Stuff' forum. That means I still have a place to post my shitty puns and start a :shit: pun thread   ^_^

There is still time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users