Forum Layout Changes & Other Changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
186 replies to this topic

#51 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Being the only one who voiced an opinion, he does represent the majority.

#52 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

You seem to have misunderstood.
The majority literally means the majority, whether they agree with Sweeney or they don't, their opinions are important to us.

It's always worth remembering that the majority is more than capable of being wrong, too.

Especially if they disagree with me :p

#53 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

My opinion is that we've needed an intermediate rank for over a year on here if not longer.

It is my opinion that announcing in early December that an intermediate rank is going to be added and dragging ass on it until the beginning of March is a sign of pure laziness on behalf of the staff and the Administration team in general.

When is something actually going to be done about anything that's going to benefit the community at all? Not the financial gains that Codex is bringing in but the community that exists here on the forum.

That is my opinion if any of you give a damn.

#54 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

No, I represent the educated, adult, and generally correct minority.

Yeah but what about the Americans?

Edit: just realised you technically count as yank now, meaning your above point is moot.

#55 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

It's always worth remembering that the majority is more than capable of being wrong, too.

Especially if they disagree with me :p

I think in this instance most people will agree, in the name of fairness for all! :neocodex:
But we'll see I guess.

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

My opinion is that we've needed an intermediate rank for over a year on here if not longer.

It is my opinion that announcing in early December that an intermediate rank is going to be added and dragging ass on it until the beginning of March is a sign of pure laziness on behalf of the staff and the Administration team in general.

When is something actually going to be done about anything that's going to benefit the community at all? Not the financial gains that Codex is bringing in but the community that exists here on the forum.

None if this is a new sentiment, and the fact that it's coming from you months after everyone else has expressed it just makes it all the more pointless.

#57 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I agree with a forum/thread that appears/disappears as needed (the single forum Sweeney talked about). It reminds me of the advanced+ voting forum.

For the application part, may I ask about the "biggest single contribution"? For me that seems to mean something like you've made a program, created AoB's, or done something other than just posting and talking with others, which seems to be what a lot of the people here do. I suppose what I'm asking, is for private, what would be qualify as a "biggest single contribution"? I suppose a lot of this will get answered as the new rank is rolled out and the qualifications decided upon, but I'm just curious. 

Edited by Satsuki, 05 March 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#58 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

It's very easy to see through the facade - the fact you quipped at @Sweeney before sharing your thoughts doesn't make anyone take you seriously @Yung...

I agree with a forum/thread that appears/disappears as needed (the single forum Sweeney talked about). It reminds me of the advanced+ voting forum.

For the application part, may I ask about the "biggest single contribution"? For me that seems to mean something like you've made a program, created AoB's, or done something other than just posting and talking with others, which seems to be what a lot of the people here do. I suppose what I'm asking, is for private, what would be qualify as a "biggest single contribution"? I suppose a lot of this will get answered as the new rank is rolled out and the qualifications decided upon, but I'm just curious. 

I think you're right - it will get answered as time goes on, but initially I think you're spot on - Programming, Graphics, Contests and AoB are all the main facets of this site that you can contribute to. If you contribute to any of those significantly, you should be rewarded. Hopefully Private can be this reward. :)

#59 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Well, that's just my idea. It could be anything from a popular topic, to a contest, to a program, to a donation. Just whatever.

Hey @Pyro699 in the program discussion forum, there are a lot of outdated topics that are suggesting program ideas. Do you want to have that part where people can suggest programs or will you get rid of those topics? As of now, we can't create a new topic to suggest another program :(

Dan already basically asked about an "outdated shit cleanup", fyi.

#60 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Not to make the thread about Yung, but if you had actually been around for the last few months, you would have noticed that the staff have been more active/productive with community-oriented improvements than they have been in years.

#61 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Not to make the thread about Yung, but if you had actually been around for the last few months, you would have noticed that the staff have been more active/productive with community-oriented improvements than they have been in years.

old mods were such dictators

#62 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

On the level.

#63 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

More like dick taters. Or cheesy potatoes.

#64 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Never gonna click that.

#65 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'll give you a dick tater...

#66 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

In any case, I'm just really glad that change is happening, and is probably for the better. It's really easy to talk about what changes that should be made, but extremely hard to really do anything, especially with the fact that this forum is positively ancient. Keep up the good work!

The age of the forum has nothing to do with how "hard" it is to get things done :p

#67 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

ooey gooey yum yum yummy

#68 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

On topic: I've posted in the retired thread about Private extensively. Private is an application based rank that falls between Advanced+ and Retired. Advanced+ is basically nominating for full program access; you can buy the same thing in Advanced. Retired is a nomination as well, but it's more for members who have been around for years.

Private should be easily achievable by most members within 6 months of joining. Before we added Advanced(+) we had a two month requirement from join date to apply, just to keep the noobs from overwhelming us with applications. But now that Advanced is in the mix with a quasi-post requirement, the noob factor is greatly reduced. I think we'll only realistically have 6-12 applications a month at first.

Applications are the key to the rank. The application process (historically a simple questionnaire) is a chance to get to know up and coming members and learn more about them than you can get from an avatar. The kind of person who gets into Private is a true community member. I can remember some of the people who got Private with me, the person who told me to apply (Ashaide - of the lab ray topic :p) and the time I spent as Private Leader was great fun. There was a bit of drama, but it came and went - the people that were worth anything stayed.

#69 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

On topic: I've posted in the retired thread about Private extensively. Private is an application based rank that falls between Advanced+ and Retired. Advanced+ is basically nominating for full program access; you can buy the same thing in Advanced. Retired is a nomination as well, but it's more for members who have been around for years.

Private should be easily achievable by most members within 6 months of joining. Before we added Advanced(+) we had a two month requirement from join date to apply, just to keep the noobs from overwhelming us with applications. But now that Advanced is in the mix with a quasi-post requirement, the noob factor is greatly reduced. I think we'll only realistically have 6-12 applications a month at first.

Applications are the key to the rank. The application process (historically a simple questionnaire) is a chance to get to know up and coming members and learn more about them than you can get from an avatar. The kind of person who gets into Private is a true community member. I can remember some of the people who got Private with me, the person who told me to apply (Ashaide - of the lab ray topic :p) and the time I spent as Private Leader was great fun. There was a bit of drama, but it came and went - the people that were worth anything stayed.

Wanna do it again? :p I agree, that it NEEDS to be application-based. Whether we end up using the application mod or a separate section for people wishing to apply, we should get this sorted asap. I would like to look at new perks for the rank as well as monthly 'bonuses' too. This shall be discussed more at length soon.

#70 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Wanna do it again? :p

That's easy. Sure.

#71 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

You can be Ali's bitch again.

#72 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

You can be Ali's bitch again.

So long as it's not iArgue.

#73 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

I think we've all been Ali's bitch at one point or another.

#74 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

That's easy. Sure.

Promise not to vanish for a hundred years just after you get promoted, Patrick... :p

#75 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

Yaaaay for changes and new ranks!
And yaaay for an active Pyro :p

Boo you. So it's been three months (with Christmas and NY in between), and the staff have been consistently and visibly working on/ towards other site improvement type things. Don't be a sooky la la.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users