• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a life hack, but shampoo every other day (or less). If you don't have super-oily hair, it won't get as gross as you might expect. I am fairly invested in having decent hair, and since I've cut back on shampoo I've noticed that my hair has been less dry without becoming slimy.

You save a decent amount of money, spare yourself the excess estrogen, and help out the environment. It's a win-win if you ask me.

Any thoughts?

#2 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Not shampooing everyday is better for your hair anyway.

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

While I don't do it for money-saving reasons, I wash my hair roughly every 2 days (I shower every day though so I'm not smelly). I do it because if I wash my hair every day it dries it out :/

edit:

Day 1 - Hair down looking nice

Day 2 - Hair halfway up or bangs pinned back

Day 3 - PONYTAIL OMG IT LOOKS AWFUL

Edited by Rocket, 18 March 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Life Hack: Don't shampoo at all.

Spoiler

#5 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Life Hack: Don't shampoo at all.

Spoiler

A lot of people actually do this. It's recommended that people with very curly hair don't shampoo at all, but use conditioner to wash their hair instead.

The sulfates in shampoo dry the fuck out of your hair.

Edited by Trichomes, 18 March 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Conditioner is better! :p

Also yay for first thread in the new section.

#7 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

I was under the impression that more people shampoo every day.

Well, I'd bet that the average person is significantly more likely to shampoo daily than Neocodex members. For better or for worse. :p

#8 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

The sulfates in shampoo dry the fuck out of your hair.

Sulfate-free shampoos = the bees knees! haha

Yeah, I typically wash my hair every 2-3 days (if I go 3, I use dry shampoo on the 2nd-3rd day to get the oily look out of my bangs/root-area)

#9 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Shampoos strip the natural oils in your hair; but that natural oil contains grease and just contaminants from the air like dirt and dust which makes it extremely unsanitary over time. It is good to shampoo your hair every so often but every day is generally unnecessary.

The idea of conditioner is to replenish these natural oils (using "natural" ingredients in conditioner) but it's generally not advised to use conditioner if you don't shampoo that day since conditioner doesn't contain any cleaning product.

I would love to see an article or the reasoning behind curly hair and conditioning though!

Edit: The natural oils in your hair is healthy for your hair. Your head wouldn't produce it if it weren't good for it. Which is why you don't want to constantly be stripping the oils all the time. But you don't want to let it accumulate too much oil or the other stuff that makes your hair messy.

#10 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Shampoos strip the natural oils in your hair; but that natural oil contains grease and just contaminants from the air like dirt and dust which makes it extremely unsanitary over time. It is good to shampoo your hair every so often but every day is generally unnecessary.

The idea of conditioner is to replenish these natural oils (using "natural" ingredients in conditioner) but it's generally not advised to use conditioner if you don't shampoo that day since conditioner doesn't contain any cleaning product.

I would love to see an article or the reasoning behind curly hair and conditioning though!

Thanks nerd

#11 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks nerd

you're welcome not-slut-anymore

#12 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Just look up co-washing, or the "curly girl" or "no poo" method. I'm not exactly sure what it is about conditioner that's good for curly hair, but it's the thorough massaging of your scalp (with water, conditioner, or whatever else) that's supposed to do the majority of the cleansing. I think most people who use the method still shampoo every once in a while, but with sulfate-free or all natural shampoos.

Edited by Trichomes, 18 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#13 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Gotta shampoo daily, ain't nobody got time for dandruff

#14 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Just look up co-washing, or the "curly girl" or "no poo" method. I'm not exactly sure what it is about conditioner that's good for curly hair, but it's the thorough massaging of your scalp (with water, conditioner, or whatever else) that's supposed to do the majority of the cleansing. I think most people who use the method still shampoo every once in a while, but with sulfate-free or all natural shampoos.

Ah i see. It's true the majority of your grease is kept around the roots but I don't know why that's different for curly hair than straight hair :o Seeing as I Have very straight hair I really haven't looked into it much :p

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Gotta shampoo daily, ain't nobody got time for dandruff

I get more dandruff the more I shampooo, since it dries out my scalp so much

#16 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

I get more dandruff the more I shampooo, since it dries out my scalp so much

do you use conditioner when you shampoo?

#17 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I can't not condition my hair when i shampoo, otherwise i wouldn't be able to get a comb through it.  I have to shampoo and condition the same day, otherwise if i just condition my hair turns into a greasy mess.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

do you use conditioner when you shampoo?

I use a shampoo/conditioner combo because I'm 12

(and cheap as fuck)

#19 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

I use a shampoo/conditioner combo because I'm 12

(and cheap as fuck)

omfg a 2 for 1 combo is so bad for your hair. It's better to just use shampoo than a 2 in 1 D:

#20 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Ah i see. It's true the majority of your grease is kept around the roots but I don't know why that's different for curly hair than straight hair :o Seeing as I Have very straight hair I really haven't looked into it much :p

Curly hair tends to be drier and more porous than straight hair, so it's prone to breakage and frizz. Shampoo strips the hair of its oils, which curly haired people really need to hold on to. It's more about not shampooing than it is replacing the shampoo with conditioner. Conditioner just happens to serve as a milder cleanser alternative, and it replenishes some of the oils lost through washing. Conditioners and other hair products frequently contain silicones, which can only be removed with sulfates, so generally people who do the no shampoo thing avoid silicones as well as sulfates.

#21 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ahhh if they have drier hair then that makes sense. Usually the water isn't sufficient to remove the grime because it's trapped in the oil but if there's lack of oil then water should be good enough hypothetically. Noted if I... kidnap a curly hair child I guess.

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

omfg a 2 for 1 combo is so bad for your hair. It's better to just use shampoo than a 2 in 1 D:

Why? 

#23 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

Why? 

They're just doing different things. Shampoo will try and cleanse the oils while the conditioner will replenish oils. Your hair wont be as clean as just with shampoo and it won't be smooth as with just conditioner. You can't remove all the grease if the thing you're removing the grease with contains grease.

it's not BAD per se, I may have exaggerated.  But I don't recommend it.

#24 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Best way to save with hair products is to realise that most people waaaay overuse them. You only need to use a dab about the size of a 10p/quarter for both shampoo and conditioner, a little more if your hair is particularly long.

#25 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

They're just doing different things. Shampoo will try and cleanse the oils while the conditioner will replenish oils. Your hair wont be as clean as just with shampoo and it won't be smooth as with just conditioner. You can't remove all the grease if the thing you're removing the grease with contains grease.

it's not BAD per se, I may have exaggerated.  But I don't recommend it.

Oh I just read (skimmed in 60 seconds) this article about it: http://www.rsc.org/c...etwobottles.asp

It sounds like They use Science to at least partially mitigate that problem. But yeah I'll keep that it mind next time I'm poo shopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users