Photo

Life Hack: spend half as much on shampoo

poo first

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Going along with what @Ali said above, if your hair isn't lathering, add more water first, not more shampoo. 

#27 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Most people know if they need to shampoo every day or not just from their own experience.

It's not "bad" for your hair to do it every day, unless it starts to cause damage to your hair or changes the texture, in which case it's likely the product you're using.

I personally have to shampoo every day, my hair gets very oily. I don't use conditioner often because no matter how little I use, it weighs down my hair.

If you don't use conditioner, I suggest using a hair mask (or just plain conditioner) and putting either plastic wrap/plastic grocery bag/shower cap on your head for ~15 minutes once every week or so.

The heat from the plastic being wrapped around your head helps open the cuticles in your hair to absorb it better.

For the ladies (and some guys); stop buying box hair color from the dept/grocery store. That shit is horrible for your hair.

#28 GarenaMaster

GarenaMaster
  • 346 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

be stinky everyday

its just the best :p

#29 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

I got so sick of the absolute amount of crap in shampoos and conditioners nowadays that I stopped using them. Almost all are crap for you and even crappier for the environment.
Instead I started using a bicarb soda wash followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse . Environmental goodness aside, its been better for me than any other cruddy shampoo ever has been. I have super long hair (which was falling out before I started this) and to this day i've never had to complain about oily or dry hair - it's always super shiny, and I only ever feel a need to wash it every 3 or so days. Breakage/ falling out has also completely stopped, yay! The method/ ingredients can be tweaked to be made suitable for your hair type, so it's great  :wub:

#30 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Uh yeah I literally become professor Snape if I don't wash my hair everyday.

#31 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Uh yeah I literally become professor Snape if I don't wash my hair everyday.

Pics or it didn't happen

#32 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

I got so sick of the absolute amount of crap in shampoos and conditioners nowadays that I stopped using them. Almost all are crap for you and even crappier for the environment.
Instead I started using a bicarb soda wash followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse . Environmental goodness aside, its been better for me than any other cruddy shampoo ever has been. I have super long hair (which was falling out before I started this) and to this day i've never had to complain about oily or dry hair - it's always super shiny, and I only ever feel a need to wash it every 3 or so days. Breakage/ falling out has also completely stopped, yay! The method/ ingredients can be tweaked to be made suitable for your hair type, so it's great  :wub:

I want to do this, but I'm scared because I read on the internet that your hair needs a couple days to adjust.

It's not like I go anywhere anyway, but still.

#33 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

I shampoo every two or three days, more if I'm really active. I haven't used conditioner in years because it makes my hair get dirty/greasy a lot quicker.

#34 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

I tried the no-poo thing and it worked okay for my hair (it's naturally really wavy) but I found I was spending more time on my hair that way. :( I'm soooooo lazy so I just went back to what I was doing before. I just wash and shampoo my hair every 3 days cause it's super dry, and use lots of conditioner and a hair mask often. I might try this method again this summer and see how it works out. I prefer my hair straight though, and I feel like with that method my hair feels more brittle and damaged after I straighten it? Maybe I just didn't use the right products. Idk.

#35 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm still not sure what the life hacks forum is actually for, but happy to have started such a lively discussion about shampoo. 

#36 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

I want to do this, but I'm scared because I read on the internet that your hair needs a couple days to adjust.

It's not like I go anywhere anyway, but still.

Do it! It's well worth the couple of day adjustment period. If it's a bit oily for a few days (especially if you tend to have oily roots naturally) just wear it up :p

I tried the no-poo thing and it worked okay for my hair (it's naturally really wavy) but I found I was spending more time on my hair that way. :( I'm soooooo lazy so I just went back to what I was doing before. I just wash and shampoo my hair every 3 days cause it's super dry, and use lots of conditioner and a hair mask often. I might try this method again this summer and see how it works out. I prefer my hair straight though, and I feel like with that method my hair feels more brittle and damaged after I straighten it? Maybe I just didn't use the right products. Idk.

It does take a bit more time when you're mixing the bicarb soda. The conditioner/ apple cider vinegar rinse can be made in advance though and you can just stick it in a water bottle and put it in your shower. If your hair is naturally pretty dry, use less bicarb and more water in your mixture, and more apple cider vinegar than water in the rinse. Leaving the vinegar in for a bit longer also helps - I used to have really dry ends and this improved them a lot.
What sort of hair mask/s do you use?

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

This placenta henna stuff. I do it a lot less than I used to though. When I was going blonder and blonder, my hair was drier, but since I started with red/strawberry blonde, my hair is more normal.

5195QAyxHsL.jpg

Edited by Napiform, 18 March 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#38 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

This placenta henna stuff. I do it a lot less than I used to though. When I was going blonder and blonder, my hair was drier, but since I started with red/strawberry blonde, my hair is more normal.

5195QAyxHsL.jpg

I've heard mixed reviews about this stuff, but it's pretty cheap to buy right? Did you find it helped you though? It's one I haven't tried with the whole vegetarian/ borderline vegan thing I have going on - I haven't found enough info out there on it.

#39 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

I've heard mixed reviews about this stuff, but it's pretty cheap to buy right? Did you find it helped you though? It's one I haven't tried with the whole vegetarian/ borderline vegan thing I have going on - I haven't found enough info out there on it.

Yes, it was pretty cheap, compared to other things. Plus, it went on sale pretty regularly, so I could stock up on it. I thought it helped. 

Cows do placentophagia if given the chance, so I'm not sure how vegan it would be to use this kind of product. (i don't think people know why cows eat placenta)

#40 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Yes, it was pretty cheap, compared to other things. Plus, it went on sale pretty regularly, so I could stock up on it. I thought it helped. 

Cows do placentophagia if given the chance, so I'm not sure how vegan it would be to use this kind of product. (i don't think people know why cows eat placenta)

It's an animal product, so not vegan at all xD People eat placenta as well, so I guess it's not all too crazy of the cows.

I'm so glad this thread on shampoo has turned into one on placenta eating  :wub:

#41 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

It's an animal product, so not vegan at all xD People eat placenta as well, so I guess it's not all too crazy of the cows.
I'm so glad this thread on shampoo has turned into one on placenta eating  :wub:

I thought the point of not eating animal by-products was because they steal from the animals or the animals have to be killed to be eaten. If the placenta isn't eaten for nutritional needs by the cow and the cow isn't harmed by it coming out, but it's a natural process that the cow doesn't need, then it is vegan... right? right?

You could be eating placenta right now, guilt-free!

#42 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I thought the point of not eating animal by-products was because they steal from the animals or the animals have to be killed to be eaten. If the placenta isn't eaten for nutritional needs by the cow and the cow isn't harmed by it coming out, but it's a natural process that the cow doesn't need, then it is vegan... right? right?

You could be eating placenta right now, guilt-free!

There are a lot of philosophical/ ethical arguments on this, but the most commonly used understanding of veganism is that you use no animal products whatsoever - including things like beeswax and honey. So technically no, not vegan :p Having said that, i'm not vegan, just sort of heading in that vague direction.

But I don't wanna eat placenta :(

#43 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Do it! It's well worth the couple of day adjustment period. If it's a bit oily for a few days (especially if you tend to have oily roots naturally) just wear it up :p

It does take a bit more time when you're mixing the bicarb soda. The conditioner/ apple cider vinegar rinse can be made in advance though and you can just stick it in a water bottle and put it in your shower. If your hair is naturally pretty dry, use less bicarb and more water in your mixture, and more apple cider vinegar than water in the rinse. Leaving the vinegar in for a bit longer also helps - I used to have really dry ends and this improved them a lot.

I just use this one and it works pretty well, I think. I'll try your method when I get the chance to get the ingredients :) I remember last time I just tried co-washing, and it was really annoying because I have soooo much thick hair, lol. Can you run your fingers through your hair with the vinegar? I like conditioners with a lot of slip to detangle my frizzy mess.

#44 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I live in the tropics, so the humidity kills me. I have to shampoo every day else my hair becomes super oily and sweaty and I just feel terrible. I actually shampoo every time I shower, but I have different shampoos. I use this light wash thing that's designed for multiple use per day, and a stronger oil-controlling one twice per week, and conditioner a few times a week but never more than once a day, and if I only shower once I go with this stronger shampoo that isn't as mild as a light wash but weaker than the oil-controlling one. I'm surprised so many people don't shampoo every day.

#45 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

Pics or it didn't happen

*subtracts two points from Bone*

#46 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

There are a lot of philosophical/ ethical arguments on this, but the most commonly used understanding of veganism is that you use no animal products whatsoever - including things like beeswax and honey. So technically no, not vegan :p Having said that, i'm not vegan, just sort of heading in that vague direction.

But I don't wanna eat placenta :(

idk I guess I thought bees used the honey and beeswax for stuff and that's where the 'stealing' comes in. I know next to nothing about bees lol.

I don't wash my hair every day and it mainly depends on what I did that day.

#47 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

*subtracts two points from Bone*

I have an elaborate HP fancast of Neocodex members. You're making my dreams come true, professor.

#48 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

I have an elaborate HP fancast of Neocodex members. You're making my dreams come true, professor.

If I'm not Lucius...

#49 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

5195QAyxHsL.jpg

I always laugh when I see this stuff at the store. I can't help it.

Who am I?

#50 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

I always laugh when I see this stuff at the store. I can't help it.

Who am I?

Bellatrix duh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users