• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

OK, so I'm lonely and friendless and shit and wanna put out an ad in my area for finding a friend. I don't want to attract weirdos and meth addicts though, and I'm amazing at that.

I want a female friend with kids, but don't want to look like a pedo or find them either. 

What I have so far is:

Looking for female friend, aged 21-30, kids preferred. Want to chat about stuff and do things like go to the park.

Is this weird? Should my ad have more substance? Is it rude to try to put an age limit on the kids too? It'd be pretty neat if I could get friends for my kids at the same time, but I don't want to restrict my chances anymore than they already are.

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Omg Napi gurl, pull yourself towards yourself. You definitely will attract weirdos this way. Go meet gals with kids in the park or something. Or go do something like a cooking course.

You definitely don't want to be that over eager creeper whose primary objective is to seek out friends. Those gals come off too strong and have 0 friends. Make friends as a consequence of doing other things.

Guuuurl.

#3 Majesty

Majesty
  • 164 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

i'm not sure how craigslist works, but maybe include your hobbies and what you're into, and suggest that you're strictly looking for a friendship so they know what to expect. also, you could mention the age thing for the children subtly, likee "i haave children aged ___ and would like friends for them as well" or however you might wanna word it. good luck! ^_^

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Omg Napi gurl, pull yourself towards yourself. You definitely will attract weirdos this way. Go meet gals with kids in the park or something. Or go do something like a cooking course.

You definitely don't want to be that over eager creeper whose primary objective is to seek out friends. Those gals come off too strong and have 0 friends. Make friends as a consequence of doing other things.

Guuuurl.

I'm an introverted person with weird kids. Me at the park is me wistfully staring at the other skinnier, prettier moms who all already know each other.

My oldest legit thinks the way to get other kids to like her is to walk behind them in a 'sneak' position like in Elder Scrolls. I can't convince her that this isn't something people actually do.

This is partially my fault, cause I do it in the grocery store.

I have 0 friends anyway, so I figured it was worth a shot.

#5 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I don't want to attract weirdos and meth addicts though, and I'm amazing at that.

Don't use craigslist then, FB has a lot of groups for moms that you could join or if you are outgoing enough try chatting to other moms at the park or wherever like Galadriel suggested. Just saw that you are an introvert maybe join a hobby group and meet people that way it's less intimating at least for me.

Edited by Speedracer, 10 April 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#6 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Don't use craigslist then, FB has a lot of groups for moms that you could join or if you are outgoing enough try chatting to other moms at the park or wherever like Galadriel suggested. Just saw that you are an introvert maybe join a hobby group and meet people that way it's less intimating at least for me.

I want real-life friends, not facebook friends. There isn't a group on fb that would meet irl near me, because I live in the middle of nowhere. The county library is supposed to be doing a knitting group soon I think? Maybe I could learn to knit.  Yeah, that ended a couple days ago. oops

Edited by Napiform, 10 April 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#7 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

If your kids school has a PTA (parent teacher association) or something similar you could meet other people that way 

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

If your kids school has a PTA (parent teacher association) or something similar you could meet other people that way 

I homeschool. 

I typed in the name of a couple towns close to me in the fb search bar though and found out the ymca a town over does family board game night.

#9 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I homeschool. 

Where I'm from there are usually home school group type things so that home school kids can hang out with other home school kids, no idea how you go about finding one though

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Where I'm from there are usually home school group type things so that home school kids can hang out with other home school kids, no idea how you go about finding one though

I tried that too!

There are 2, one of them the girls won't be old enough for until next year. The other is not the style we use (close enough that it isn't an issue) and highly Christian (an issue since Yung and I aren't married. Apparently, we'd be a bad influence on the other children.) 

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything. Craigslist is a last-choice option for desperate people, but I'm kind of desperate.

#11 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything. Craigslist is a last-choice option for desperate people, but I'm kind of desperate.

You're not, I just really don't like craigslist everyone that I've interacted with through it have been a little sketchy not someone I'd want to have kids around.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Nooo, Jess.
Do not attempt to find friends on Craigslist...

Like Cronus said. Put yourself out there, go to the park with the kids, take a course of some sort, join a local group on Facebook for Mommies or something. 

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

You're not, I just really don't like craigslist everyone that I've interacted with through it have been a little sketchy not someone I'd want to have kids around.

I know that feeling exactly, which is why I'm here trying to craft an ad that is weirdo-proof.

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

I know that feeling exactly, which is why I'm here trying to craft an ad that is weirdo-proof.

It's the internet, it can't be weirdo-proofed. Impossible. I think the real concern is that the kids are so central to it, which is unfortunately a lure for the worst sort of weirdo, very difficult to proof against that in that sort of environment. People are sneaky.

Is there no sort of activities or clubs the kids could join where you'd meet other parents that way?

#15 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have a similar problem. Past few years of being in a relationship, I've unfortunately lost contact with all my friends. Plus, a few of my best friends have moved out of state. Now I'm left sitting on the couch 24/7, bored as hell.

I can never seem to find anything to get out and 'do'. I go to the park and stuff to job / walk / run but that's not really an opportunity to meet new people.

Most of my old friends on FB have kids (I can't stand being around children), I don't really have anything in common with them anymore, etc. I tried getting together some friends for a weekly game night, but none of them are game.

CL would definitely attract the wrong crowd. I'm sure there are a few desperate people on there legitimately looking for friends, but the vast majority aren't there for that.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

It's the internet, it can't be weirdo-proofed. Impossible. I think the real concern is that the kids are so central to it, which is unfortunately a lure for the worst sort of weirdo, very difficult to proof against that in that sort of environment. People are sneaky.

Is there no sort of activities or clubs the kids could join where you'd meet other parents that way?

Yeah if I didn't have kids, this wouldn't be an issue at all. I'd just hang out with the drug addicts.

Next year, the girls will be old enough for all the activities in the homeschool group. The spring sports have already started, except karate, which I'm not willing to let them do. They're both going to play softball in the fall (the oldest did it last year and the mid-kid is old enough to join her this year), but that's a few months away still. Yung takes them to a make-and-take group at the hardware store every other weekend, but I don't want to take that over cause dad-kid time is pretty important. There's church, I guess, but I'm mad at God and not ready to go back to church yet. As I'm typing this, I'm noticing that if I just WAIT, then there's going to be plenty of opportunity. I have an overwhelming sense of need to find one RIGHT NOW though, and that's probably just selfish and being silly.

I have a similar problem. Past few years of being in a relationship, I've unfortunately lost contact with all my friends. Plus, a few of my best friends have moved out of state. Now I'm left sitting on the couch 24/7, bored as hell.

I can never seem to find anything to get out and 'do'. I go to the park and stuff to job / walk / run but that's not really an opportunity to meet new people.

Most of my old friends on FB have kids (I can't stand being around children), I don't really have anything in common with them anymore, etc. I tried getting together some friends for a weekly game night, but none of them are game.

CL would definitely attract the wrong crowd. I'm sure there are a few desperate people on there legitimately looking for friends, but the vast majority aren't there for that.

Yes, exactly. My irl bff decided we aren't friends anymore at the beginning of the year. We live 4 hours apart, but it was still nice to go visit and hang out for the weekend and have someone to just text or call. My mom was my other texty-cally all the time person, but she went and got things like a life.

I go to Wal-Mart, but idk how to find friends there. My neighbours are all either 65-80 (I actually get along fantastically with old people, but as I've gotten older, my voice has gotten pitched that most of them can't hear me) or 20-25, but childress drunkards.

#17 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Craigslist is god awful. I tried to make a friend there once, it didn't go well. He was extremely pervy, and asked to buy/have my dirty socks :I

But if you want help I'll write something out and send it to you.

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Craigslist is god awful. I tried to make a friend there once, it didn't go well. He was extremely pervy, and asked to buy/have my dirty socks :I

But if you want help I'll write something out and send it to you.

Yes, please.

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Yes, please.

Bear in mind that the last ad he put on there attracted a sock sniffer. :p

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Bear in mind that the last ad he put on there attracted a sock sniffer. :p

He also said the guy offered to buy them. Easy money.

#21 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

He also said the guy offered to buy them. Easy money.

He offered me 25$ a sock. Then changed his mind when I said okay.

I could have bought new socks for that. 

Also, I sent you a PM with what I feel should be written in the ad. 

Edited by Thane, 10 April 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

I've been in the same boat for a while now.

I keep reassuring myself that friends on the internet are the same, but they're not. As much as I love you guys, I can't really have a beer with you all, or play a game of soccer.

It's something I've been struggling with since I moved back to Texas almost... two years ago now. I try, you know. I went out to bars and clubs with coworkers, then different bars with different coworkers ad nauseum. None of it worked. Everyone wants something from you in those types of environments.

Better to let your kids do karate or softball or what have you and meet parents that way. At my current job (I teach martial arts coincidentally) there are three types of parents: 1) the type that drop off their kids and never come through the door, 2) the type who come in, plop down in a chair and stare at their phone for 45 minutes, or 3) the ones who are watching what their kids are doing, talking to other parents, and have questions for the staff after their child's class is over.

You'll only become as involved as you let/make yourself. If your kid's softball team needs a team mom, volunteer for that shit or get to know whoever ends up taking the spot.

I really don't think craigslist in an isolated area is the best way to meet people. Best of luck with your efforts though.

#23 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I keep reassuring myself that friends on the internet are the same, but they're not. As much as I love you guys, I can't really have a beer with you all, or play a game of soccer.

That's because you call it soccer.

#24 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

That's because you call it soccer.

Get over it dude. A country of 300 million people call it soccer. It's here to stay.

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

This sums up the past two years for me.

Do you really teach martial arts? My biggest issue with karate and my kids is that they're girls and I don't want them hit in the uterus and have a tilted womb or anything later in life. How big of a concern is this in reality?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, lonely, craigslist, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users